The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

5 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

...and the same people say that OJ needs to get used to playing in NA as well.

only thing they need to get use to is bigger, stronger, and faster competition. Not the style of hockey. 

And in OJ's case, I don't think he understands the true amount of work it takes to get to that level. he just hasn't shown the drive like say dorsett everytime he was on the ice. and I'm not using a comparison as a type of hockey player. just the self motivation to get out there and go for it. 

Edited by Canuck-91

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2018 at 2:24 PM, TGT68 said:

Nice to see Palmu signed.

So now with adding wingers Palmu, Jasek, Lind and Dahlen, all presumably for Utica next year, can we add a center?  That was Utica's weakest position last year.  Looks to be the same this year.  

I think one of Motte, Gaudette or Gaunce will be the top line C to start the season in Utica....and all of those are stronger than any C Utica had last year.   CC hopefully has a strong summer training and brings some of the momentum he developed in the second half of the year.   I also think the Canuck organization will sign at least one or two UFAs bound for Utica - most like a C and a D if I am close to right on what I think they are up to this off-season.

On 2018-05-28 at 5:24 PM, TGT68 said:

Nice to see Palmu signed.

So now with adding wingers Palmu, Jasek, Lind and Dahlen, all presumably for Utica next year, can we add a center?  That was Utica's weakest position last year.  Looks to be the same this year.  

That is a big organizational issue, not just Utica.  Bo and Gaudette are natural centres, are there anymore in the franchise?

Sutter is utility player, kind of like Linden was, better suited to RW but plays centre because he can and no-one else to take his role.  

I guess Gagner is a natural centre but yuck.

I think Rob is right, some signings or trades will happen to bring in centre.  Lots of grumblings about Benning looking at various centres ROR, JT, Bozak (again yuck), so presumably he knows there is a problem and is working on fixing it.  Not sure about what will happen with some of the returning AHL guys Boucher etc.  I think Gaunce needs to clear waivers.  I hope Gaudette stays up, there is something there, but he may be best served developing in the A with that group of wingers.

Last year I though Utica would be killer on the wing but that never materialized.  Who knows what they will look like this year but with Petrus, Jasek, Lind, Dahlen and Gadjovich all looking at the AHL, and likely only one wing spot available on the big club it should be better though very green this year.

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

That is a big organizational issue, not just Utica.  Bo and Gaudette are natural centres, are there anymore in the franchise?

Sutter is utility player, kind of like Linden was, better suited to RW but plays centre because he can and no-one else to take his role.  

I guess Gagner is a natural centre but yuck.

I think Rob is right, some signings or trades will happen to bring in centre.  Lots of grumblings about Benning looking at various centres ROR, JT, Bozak (again yuck), so presumably he knows there is a problem and is working on fixing it.  Not sure about what will happen with some of the returning AHL guys Boucher etc.  I think Gaunce needs to clear waivers.  I hope Gaudette stays up, there is something there, but he may be best served developing in the A with that group of wingers.

Last year I though Utica would be killer on the wing but that never materialized.  Who knows what they will look like this year but with Petrus, Jasek, Lind, Dahlen and Gadjovich all looking at the AHL, and likely only one wing spot available on the big club it should be better though very green this year.

Pettersson is also a C. Can't forget him! 

36 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Pettersson is also a C. Can't forget him! 

Pettersen  is a c/rw and Benning has said won't be a C his rookie year and my guess is he might need to play LW to get with the right type of players to succeed.  

Dahlen is a C/LW so maybe Utica has a plan there.  

Gaudette would look killer between Dahlen and Jasek in the AHL but I doubt we do that.  

Gaunce has waivers to clear and isn't the playmaker we need.  

Motte didn't appear to be the right guy for that role either with what I have seen of him.  

Dowd is a center and UFA but don't think we sign him or he clears waivers. 

Is there a guy like Cal O'Reilly was a couple years back to be had?  Valk would sure fill that role nicely now if he hadn't jumped ship.  

Edited by TGT68

1 hour ago, TGT68 said:

Pettersen  is a c/rw and Benning has said won't be a C his rookie year and my guess is he might need to play LW to get with the right type of players to succeed.  

Gaudette would look killer between Dahlen and Jasek in the AHL but I doubt we do that.  

Motte didn't appear to be the right guy for that role either with what I have seen of him.  

Is there a guy like Cal O'Reilly was a couple years back to be had?  Valk would sure fill that role nicely now if he hadn't jumped ship.  

he definitely hasn't said that. 

3 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

To be fair Benning said he isn't sure if it will be a couple months or a couple years before Petterson goes to centre.  I will believe when I see it.  Amazing prospect but just don't see as centre, but will be happy to admit if wrong.

I would have never seen William Karlsson as a first line center either, but here we are.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I would have never seen William Karlsson as a first line center either, but here we are.

Good for him, wouldn't expect every prospect to make that transition though just because he did.  Sometimes you just catch lightning in a bottle.  This is still the exception, not the rule.  

Again, I hope EP will be our all-star centre of the future. 

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Good for him, wouldn't expect every prospect to make that transition though just because he did.  Sometimes you just catch lightning in a bottle.  This is still the exception, not the rule.  

Again, I hope EP will be our all-star centre of the future. 

I don`t think this is the exception anymore though, that`s the thing.

Speedy creative centers are becoming the norm, while the big strong centers are getting left behind.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I don`t think this is the exception anymore though, that`s the thing.

Speedy creative centers are becoming the norm, while the big strong centers are getting left behind.

Speedy and creative centres yes, players with a career goal total of 18 goals over 4 years jumping to 43 goals not the norm.  

If it is becoming the norm watch out for Jake next year.

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Speedy and creative centres yes, players with a career goal total of 18 goals over 4 years jumping to 43 goals not the norm.  

If it is becoming the norm watch out for Jake next year.

Karlsson always had the skills, he wasn`t getting any opportunities under Torts though. He`s the anti-Torts player.

As for Jake, he`s not exactly creative with the puck, just speedy. He needs to evolve his game if he`s ever going to get to the 40 goal mark.

Edited by DeNiro

1 hour ago, tas said:

he definitely hasn't said that. 

Ok.  So maybe not exactly that but that he won't start as a center.  Was taken from this quote:

"This year, Pettersson played a month of centre, and he’ll come over here and start on the wing,” Benning said. “But at some point, I want to move him to the middle. I don’t know if that will be three months, a year or two years."

The point is still the same that we need centers for next year at NHL and AHL level.  

On June 11, 2018 at 11:44 AM, TGT68 said:

Emil Pettersson? 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Emil Pettersson? 

I like the way you think! 46 pts in 72 games would put him second (in PPG) on the Comets, behind Chaput, for C scoring. He could serve really nicely as a creative, passing 2C, playing with Jasek, Lind, Boucher (if he comes back), etc.

Edited by Guile

12 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Emil Pettersson? 

I was thinking more of a free agent.  I think we would have a hard time getting EP's brother out of Nashville without a massive overpayment and I don't think we should have to pay anything for a first line offensive center for our AHL team.  Not that it isn't a nice conceptual idea just I don't think a practical one.  

12 hours ago, TGT68 said:

I was thinking more of a free agent.  I think we would have a hard time getting EP's brother out of Nashville without a massive overpayment and I don't think we should have to pay anything for a first line offensive center for our AHL team.  Not that it isn't a nice conceptual idea just I don't think a practical one.  

Schroeder ... loooooool?

• 2 weeks later...