The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

6 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

So... he could be challenging Leipsic for a spot??

In Utica? :ph34r:

Not saying Leipsic and Palmu don’t deserve a shot at the Canucks lineup.

They both do.

I’m just not seeing many openings at forward with the current roster numbers.

Seems like there’s a greater chance guys like Leipsic will get waived and send down to Utica than one of our rookie forwards (other than Pettersson) claiming an opening night roster spot.

But Palmu definitely looked very good.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Seen a video on the Canucks’ youtube of Palmu and Gadjovich having an axe throwing conpetition. Palmu is built like a beast. 

Yep I watched it too. He was way thicker than Gadjovich. He is going to be really hard to play against for the opponents.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

In Utica? :ph34r:

Not saying Leipsic and Palmu don’t deserve a shot at the Canucks lineup.

They both do.

I’m just not seeing many openings at forward with the current roster numbers.

Seems like there’s a greater chance guys like Leipsic will get waived and send down to Utica than one of our rookie forwards (other than Pettersson) claiming an opening night roster spot.

But Palmu definitely looked very good.

Looks to me like we are going to have quite a few wingers battling for maybe one open winger spot at camp.  A winger spot that seems to have Petterssen penciled in.  But Dahlen, Jasek, Palmu, Lind, Gadjovich all look close.  

Then you have the Motte, Boucher, Goldobin, Leipsic group where we seem to all assume Goldy and Leipsic NHL other two AHL.  

Going to be a lot of players battling for winger spots this year and next as we try to get faster and more skilled while becoming grittier and harder to play against.  

When he was drafted, I never gave Palmu much hope of ever making the NHL, seeing as he's only 5'6", but dang, that kid can play. Such a low centre of gravity and stocky, he's really hard to knock down or off the puck, he protects the puck well, seems to make the right plays, good passes. I would love to see him on the team soon. There's a determination bout him, very competitive, whether it's hockey, Jenga or axe throwing lol

23 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

When he was drafted, I never gave Palmu much hope of ever making the NHL, seeing as he's only 5'6", but dang, that kid can play. Such a low centre of gravity and stocky, he's really hard to knock down or off the puck, he protects the puck well, seems to make the right plays, good passes. I would love to see him on the team soon. There's a determination bout him, very competitive, whether it's hockey, Jenga or axe throwing lol

I never thought he had much of a chance either. 

DeBrincat is roughly the same size, but with more skill. If he can succeed in the NHL, no reason Palmu can't. His stature shouldn't be used as an excuse.

25 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Remember Stan Johnathan. Bruins. 

• Upvote 2

Palmu is 172 at 5'6 thats pretty insane, if he is able to add even 5 pounds that would be almost 180, and at that height he would be a beast on the puck, I see definite potential in Palmu, he blew me away with his first season in Finland

• Upvote 1

If he scores in camp like he did last year I think he may jump over Goldy/Leips/Motte for the extra spot.

Energy guy, maybe he won't body check as hard as Biega at 4th line forward but he'll score more. He looks pretty confident.

15 hours ago, TGT68 said:

Looks to me like we are going to have quite a few wingers battling for maybe one open winger spot at camp.  A winger spot that seems to have Petterssen penciled in.  But Dahlen, Jasek, Palmu, Lind, Gadjovich all look close.  

Then you have the Motte, Boucher, Goldobin, Leipsic group where we seem to all assume Goldy and Leipsic NHL other two AHL.  

Going to be a lot of players battling for winger spots this year and next as we try to get faster and more skilled while becoming grittier and harder to play against.  

Out of Motte, Boucher, Goldobin and Leipsic, I'm not entirely sure if any of them will make it in the long run. They may make it out of camp but if the youngsters show well, we may see them traded or waived sooner than later. 

Worried about Goldy. He has tantalizing skills but  not sure he has enough grit/jam to make it. 

To make it, he has to evolve like Baerstchi but be even better. The only comparables I see in terms of grit are Boeser and Petterson and I see them leading the team in points so if Goldobin is not able to score at a high pace, he may not fit. The rest of the potential top 6 play a tougher game and go to the hard areas to score and are more reliable defensively. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Out of Motte, Boucher, Goldobin and Leipsic, I'm not entirely sure if any of them will make it in the long run. They may make it out of camp but if the youngsters show well, we may see them traded or waived sooner than later. 

Worried about Goldy. He has tantalizing skills but  not sure he has enough grit/jam to make it. 

To make it, he has to evolve like Baerstchi but be even better. The only comparables I see in terms of grit are Boeser and Petterson and I see them leading the team in points so if Goldobin is not able to score at a high pace, he may not fit. The rest of the potential top 6 play a tougher game and go to the hard areas to score and are more reliable defensively. 

I agree with you. I suspect the prospect depth will pass these guys by. They have another season to prove us wrong. IMHO Baer has proven his cred but injuries have worked against his cementing his spot. Like all players these 5 are possible trade chips. Acquisition-Evaluation-Development have to be the mantra of Canuck management for the next 3 years.  

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

If Palmu scores 5 goals in preseason I think he gets the 10 game tryout. At least.

Plus he's a slick passer so who knows what kind of assist totals as well. Can't wait to see him in camp.

Love to have the fire hydrant on the team.  Imagine what a Palmu hip check would look like... 

• Haha 1