Sign in to follow this  
Tomato Pajamas

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Schroeder was a skinny kid, Palmu is built like a fire hydrant. Big difference! Although Palmu is short by NHL standards he is built like Gadjovich in the upper body.

11 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Schroeder was a skinny kid, Palmu is built like a fire hydrant. Big difference! Although Palmu is short by NHL standards he is built like Gadjovich in the upper body.

Schredder is jacked bud. Maybe not as swolle as Petrus but I wouldn't call him a skinny kid. 

29 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

He might be now but then he is 27 years old. He was a skinny kid when Vancouver drafted him.

Not necessarily, he was always a fairly stocky dude. 

1 hour ago, Kootenay Gold said:

He might be now but then he is 27 years old. He was a skinny kid when Vancouver drafted him.

IIRC Schroeder scored some of the highest in upper body strength in his draft year.  

Schroeder to me just did not come across as being stocky. He was blazingly fast that is for sure! So far he has not been able to stick in the NHL on a regular basis. But this thread is about Palmu so I will shift focus back to what I see in Petrus that I think will lead to success for him down the road. While not as fast as Jordan; Petrus seems to have great vision and from what I have seen of his play a knack for getting the puck to a team mate in a position to score. I am expecting him to do very well in Utica this year and I guess we will just have to see where it goes from there.

10 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

9 hours ago, Lancaster said:

IIRC Schroeder scored some of the highest in upper body strength in his draft year.  

Didn’t he do the most reps on the bench at his combine? Pretty good indicator of upper body strength. 

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

Didn’t he do the most reps on the bench at his combine? Pretty good indicator of upper body strength. 

Who honestly cares did any of this translate to NHL Success?

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Gumbee said:

I'll gladly eat crow if he succeeds but it just reminds me of Shroeder 

Palmu definitely has more spunk and grit than Schroeder...and that goes a long way in today's NHL...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

Well that’s exactly it. I’m pointing out that his strength wasn’t the reason for his lack of success. 

6 hours ago, Dats hockey said:

Schroeder matured early, that’s why he did so well when younger, and against younger guys.  Sure, he was strong at the combine, but that’s because he had already matured into his man body.  Other guys quickly passed him by.  It was a stupid, and (yet another) wasted pick by MG.  That’s why his strength and young success didn’t translate to the NHL.  He was at his peak performance athletically at 18/19.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Palmu definitely has more spunk and grit than Schroeder...and that goes a long way in today's NHL...

Lol:ph34r:

I trust benning so honestly I am hoping I am wrong :P 

But honestly 5'7? Guy quoted like 20-30 guys who are similar height over how many years? I'm not sure what that's supposed to argue. 

As long as Pettersson scores 30 and makes Boeser look like a gnome I am happy. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Schroeder matured early, that’s why he did so well when younger, and against younger guys.  Sure, he was strong at the combine, but that’s because he had already matured into his man body.  Other guys quickly passed him by.  It was a stupid, and (yet another) wasted pick by MG.  That’s why his strength and young success didn’t translate to the NHL.  He was at his peak performance athletically at 18/19.  

While in hindsight it turned out to be bad, there were a lot of crap picks made by teams even before the Canucks took Schroeder. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Gumbee said:

But honestly 5'7? Guy quoted like 20-30 guys who are similar height over how many years? I'm not sure what that's supposed to argue. 

A 6th round pick like Palmu only has a 9% chance to ever play 100 games in the NHL or a 1.9% chance to ever be a top 6 forward. I think height has much less to do with a prospect's success than their overall draft position. Both Palmu's height and draft position made him a long shot to begin with...hence him getting picked 181st overall.

Pettersson at 5th overall has a 100% chance to get those 100 NHL games and Boeser a 70% chance (getting picked at 23rd overall). 

Those three players are not comparable in any single way.

Anyways, stats aside, for the posters that know a lot about Palmu, do you feel he already has a better chance at playing in the NHL then his 6th round chances should be? I think the answer is "yes" but to what degree we will see in the next couple years.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Gumbee said:

21 hours ago, Gumbee said:

Palmu is too short

That was the extent of your post.  I gave a rebuttal.  I didn’t just post some “guys”, most are legends.  Maybe you should look some of them up. You might learn something. 

Edited by sonoman
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gumbee said:

There are plenty of smaller guys in the NHL. Height doesn't hinder like it used to. Heres just a few.

https://thehockeywriters.com/top-10-undersized-nhl-players/

• Upvote 1