Sign in to follow this  
Tomato Pajamas

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

How is it that you believe Schroeder to be a “...serviceable player having a nice career.”?  Eighteen goals in ten NHL seasons, he had one goal and one assist in the NHL last season doesn’t look very serviceable to me - it looks like borderline career over to me.

He's been a professional hockey player for near a decade. What lofty expectations you have.

 

Your comment is a joke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

How is it that you believe Schroeder to be a “...serviceable player having a nice career.”?  Eighteen goals in ten NHL seasons, he had one goal and one assist in the NHL last season doesn’t look very serviceable to me - it looks like borderline career over to me.

Schroeder is a great depth guy. Excellent at the AHL level, can fill in at the NHL level. Has had 6 seasons in the NHL with more than 20 games. Depth player. If you can separate his first round status from the equation, he has had a serviceable career. He'll probably finish his career with 200+ games. Nice !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Western Red said:

He's been a professional hockey player for near a decade. What lofty expectations you have.

 

Your comment is a joke.

Comment is a joke is a bit over the top.

 

People have different of opinions on what a serviceable NHLer is. 

I realize he has been a pro (mostly in the AHL) for a decade, and is infinitely better than me.

 

But my opinion of a serviceable NHLer would be a career 4th liner that can play up the lineup if needed and is on the roster all season.

 

Wasn't meant to discredit Schroeder. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kosmo Kramer said:

Comment is a joke is a bit over the top.

 

People have different of opinions on what a serviceable NHLer is. 

I realize he has been a pro (mostly in the AHL) for a decade, and is infinitely better than me.

 

But my opinion of a serviceable NHLer would be a career 4th liner that can play up the lineup if needed and is on the roster all season.

 

Wasn't meant to discredit Schroeder. 

Ya, you're right. Although I did say professional, which includes the AHL.

 

Good on you for being balanced and thoughtful. The board could use a few more posters like yourself.

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This kid is a cannonball and fun to watch. I see his height and think, "ya, whatever". Then watch him play and the kid is effective as heck. He could be the surprise coming out of training and make the opening roster. Instant fan favourite if he does  

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t see nhl caliber just yet, but this year in the A with Gadjovic etc should be excellent for his development.  Nice thanks have so many potential diamonds in the rough. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 70seven said:

I don’t see nhl caliber just yet, but this year in the A with Gadjovic etc should be excellent for his development.  Nice thanks have so many potential diamonds in the rough. 

This Macmaster kid is really good too, i've been impressed with him. His speed and skating should go well with Gadjovich and Palmu. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Palmu and Gadjovich...even when not played together lit it up!

...spread the talent, but bring it together when it matters....two NHL players in the making.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, rekker said:

This kid is a cannonball and fun to watch. I see his height and think, "ya, whatever". Then watch him play and the kid is effective as heck. He could be the surprise coming out of training and make the opening roster. Instant fan favourite if he does  

He's our secret weapon that won't be too much of a secret after this years over.   Wouldn't surprise me at all if he tears up the AHL, these guys spend their whole life been told they will never make the next level because they are too small, and then make people wrong.  He did it in junior, then did it in Liiga, and will do it in the A, and then make his way into the top six and do it in the NHL.  He looked like Theo out there, but the difference is he's built like a tank already where as Theon was 140lbs at the same age.  St.Louis set the bar for these guys, not many get to play, but Palmu looks to have the stuff.  Hope he's a PPGer plus in the pre-season and give Benning a blistering headache on what to do.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I see this guy play it's like he uses his shortness to his advantage, he reaches for pucks more efficiently and quickly. His center of gravity is off the charts for a guy his size, he doesn't get knocked down too easily. He scores in a different way than the Pettersons and the Boesers. This kid is going be that late round steal the Canucks haven't had since Hansen.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, IBatch said:

He's our secret weapon that won't be too much of a secret after this years over.   Wouldn't surprise me at all if he tears up the AHL, these guys spend their whole life been told they will never make the next level because they are too small, and then make people wrong.  He did it in junior, then did it in Liiga, and will do it in the A, and then make his way into the top six and do it in the NHL.  He looked like Theo out there, but the difference is he's built like a tank already where as Theon was 140lbs at the same age.  St.Louis set the bar for these guys, not many get to play, but Palmu looks to have the stuff.  Hope he's a PPGer plus in the pre-season and give Benning a blistering headache on what to do.

Great comparison. I'm going to the game today. I can't wait to watch him, and some of the others live. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Palmu86 is my favorite prospects he just makes me happy watching him. Palmu battling 6 foot 7 Logan Stanley was awesome.

hope he makes to the Canucks one day.

 

Edited by HockeyHarry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2018 at 7:03 AM, smokes said:

When I see this guy play it's like he uses his shortness to his advantage, he reaches for pucks more efficiently and quickly. His center of gravity is off the charts for a guy his size, he doesn't get knocked down too easily. He scores in a different way than the Pettersons and the Boesers. This kid is going be that late round steal the Canucks haven't had since Hansen.

He gets no credit for his edgework but it's very good.  He's strong but to make up for lack of stride length, he has to be REALLY efficient at using his edges.  So he pushes off strong then maintains speed well, plus he's able to pivot and shift on a dime.  He's a complete antithesis for what you would expect to be a successful player. But once you see the whole package it makes perfect sense why he is as good as he is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2018 at 11:36 PM, SamJamIam said:

He gets no credit for his edgework but it's very good.  He's strong but to make up for lack of stride length, he has to be REALLY efficient at using his edges.  So he pushes off strong then maintains speed well, plus he's able to pivot and shift on a dime.  He's a complete antithesis for what you would expect to be a successful player. But once you see the whole package it makes perfect sense why he is as good as he is.

I think he will be one of the big surprises at camp. He may be short in stature but he plays like he is 6 inches taller and twenty pounds heavier than he is.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/09/2018 at 10:36 PM, SamJamIam said:

He gets no credit for his edgework but it's very good.  He's strong but to make up for lack of stride length, he has to be REALLY efficient at using his edges.  So he pushes off strong then maintains speed well, plus he's able to pivot and shift on a dime.  He's a complete antithesis for what you would expect to be a successful player. But once you see the whole package it makes perfect sense why he is as good as he is.

His first push off his skate is unreal. Doesnt matter if its from a stand still or coming off a turn that first push is incredible. Like coming out of a slingshot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kuzma has a recap of the cuts in the Province.  This is the section on Palmu:

 

Palmu, 21, was rookie of the year with 36 points (17-19) in 59 regular season games with TPS Turku and six points (4-2) in 11 playoff games. The 5-foot-6, 172 pound bowling-ball winger had a goal and an assist in the prospects camp Summer Showcase, but transferring consistency to the NHL was challenging. He had six shots in two games.

 

“It’s up to him to carve out a niche — what is he going to be?” asked Green. “You have to bring something to the table and he has to use his strength on the smaller ice and make sure his engine is running hot all the time.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mll said:

Kuzma has a recap of the cuts in the Province.  This is the section on Palmu:

 

Palmu, 21, was rookie of the year with 36 points (17-19) in 59 regular season games with TPS Turku and six points (4-2) in 11 playoff games. The 5-foot-6, 172 pound bowling-ball winger had a goal and an assist in the prospects camp Summer Showcase, but transferring consistency to the NHL was challenging. He had six shots in two games.

 

“It’s up to him to carve out a niche — what is he going to be?” asked Green. “You have to bring something to the table and he has to use his strength on the smaller ice and make sure his engine is running hot all the time.”

Yeh because if his engine isn't running and he stalls out we already have Gagne and Erickson in neutral and can't have another. How and in what world does Gagne beat any of these kids out of a job?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cory40 said:

Yeh because if his engine isn't running and he stalls out we already have Gagne and Erickson in neutral and can't have another. How and in what world does Gagne beat any of these kids out of a job?

The business world, unfortunately it's a big part of it. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cory40 said:

Yeh because if his engine isn't running and he stalls out we already have Gagne and Erickson in neutral and can't have another. How and in what world does Gagne beat any of these kids out of a job?

I don't know what you've been watching, but these kids really haven't earned a spot in the line-up yet. They very much need more development time in Utica. I fail to see how that's a bad thing.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.