2 hours ago, westcoastsniper said:

In a corporate structure, the director level usually builds the team and establishes the vision, he's not doing the actual player development.

Sorry I don't buy that if you're the Captain of the ship you best know what's going on and frankly manage not only PP but the dam coach too. That's where the buck stops. If things go drastically wrong you get canned, you can't blame some one else

Posted (edited)

Thank you crazy_4_nazzy for providing this rational info on our prospects development and the AHL roster rules.

Our top prospects seem to be adjusting well which is good to know.

Hopefully Palmu can figure out the parts of his game management wants him to work on while back in Finland so he can be an effective and consistent player at the pro level.

Edited by The Beagle had landed
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, The Beagle had landed said:

Thank you crazy_4_nazzy for providing this rational info on our prospects development and the AHL roster rules.

Our top prospects seem to be adjusting well which is good to know.

Hopefully Palmu can figure out the parts of his game management wants him to work on while back in Finland so he can be an effective and consistent player at the pro level.

Ditto. It had to take a lot of  time and effort to put a post together like that. Well done.

• Upvote 1

nice post @CRAZY_4_NAZZY 

I'm actually happy Palmu is getting the time he is in Finland. There should be a little bit more room for him to make an impact next year (I can't see that entire group being back) in Utica and he should come back with more refined skills. I can see why in all of that development rotation you explained that a kid might feel like there wasn't enough time for him or felt lost in that, but that seems to be what a lot of kids in the AHL need to overcome. 

• Upvote 1

The fact is the Canuck roster is full of players that were developed in Utica ( sarcasm ) which offers an insight into how successful the current strategy is working. Every summer JB looks to the FA market for players to fill the holes, not Utica. The farm team seems to develop players for the AHL.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

The fact is the Canuck roster is full of players that were developed in Utica ( sarcasm ) which offers an insight into how successful the current strategy is working. Every summer JB looks to the FA market for players to fill the holes, not Utica. The farm team seems to develop players for the AHL.

Baertschi, Virtanen, Goldobin are players in our top 9 who came from that system.. Bo Horvat didnt need AHL and Pettersson and Boeser came in as stars already.

The bottom 6 consists of veterans but will likely be replaced by these guys coming up (MacEwen, Gaudette, Gaunce). Also theres a chance for Dahlen and Lind to make the top 6 if they up their pace and round out their game.

14 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I think Green did well with guys like Jake.  This new guy is horrifyingly bad though.  It's clear he needs to go, and we get someone who puts the Canuck's best interest first, and that's developing our young guys.  

2 minutes ago, westcoastsniper said:

Baertschi, Virtanen, Goldobin are players in our top 9 who came from that system.. Bo Horvat didnt need AHL and Pettersson and Boeser came in as stars already.

The bottom 6 consists of veterans but will likely be replaced by these guys coming up (MacEwen, Gaudette, Gaunce). Also theres a chance for Dahlen and Lind to make the top 6 if they up their pace and round out their game.

Baertschi played 15 games in Utica,  Virtanen was not the poster boy for Utica. He sucked down there as he did in Vcr until this year, which is his 4th year as a pro and two season since Utica, Goldobin played 33 game is Utica. The commonality between those three is they were all 1st round picks

It's unfortunate that they had to have the conversation through the media, but as long as it has the net effect of opening the dialogue further, then it could be seen as a positive. Regardless of the miscommunication, he's better off playing bigger minutes in Finland so that was the right move to make anyways.

• Hydration 1

17 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

8 minutes ago, westcoastsniper said:

A few other Utica graduates  Demko as well as the tweeners Biega and Archibald

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I think Green did well with guys like Jake.  This new guy is horrifyingly bad though.  It's clear he needs to go, and we get someone who puts the Canuck's best interest first, and that's developing our young guys.  

I don't know a lot about Cull, but there has to be an agreed development system put in place and a set of company guidelines to who ever is the coach. This not about converting an AHL coach to become an NHL coach ( ie winning percentage ) but to develop player.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

A few other Utica graduates  Demko as well as the tweeners Biega and Archibald

Demko …. hardly falls under the category of a out skater. He was putting in time and was one of two options for the Utica team. Like other goalies he was putting in time. If Archibald is any thing it's a poster boy of being unable to get a player over the line in his development. Biega is certainly a handy number 7-8 D 

4 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I don't know a lot about Cull, but there has to be an agreed development system put in place and a set of company guidelines to who ever is the coach. This not about converting an AHL coach to become an NHL coach ( ie winning percentage ) but to develop player.

Maybe we would be better off with an older coach, who has no aspirations to go back to the NHL?  Or an ex college coach?  

30 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

The fact is the Canuck roster is full of players that were developed in Utica ( sarcasm )

5 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Demko …. hardly falls under the category of a out skater.

Looks like you are a person that likes to move the goalposts.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe we would be better off with an older coach, who has no aspirations to go back to the NHL?  Or an ex college coach?  

To tell you the truth, I prefer the development players get in the NCAA than in Utica. 

• Upvote 1

Fun stat: In his first 7 games in Liiga Palmu has won 85.7% of faceoffs.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, gurn said:

Looks like you are a person that likes to move the goalposts.

I hope not, I like to think myself as a fact based conclusion rather than hyperbole. You can't compare a goalie to out skaters when they only have 2 goalies and mostly split their starts. One thing I do not like is speculation and dreaming, but that's not me I don't see Utica as a fundament part of Virtanens development. He has show limited improvement this year but Utica is 2 years past.

Edited by Fred65

5 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Baertschi played 15 games in Utica,  Virtanen was not the poster boy for Utica. He sucked down there as he did in Vcr until this year, which is his 4th year as a pro and two season since Utica, Goldobin played 33 game is Utica. The commonality between those three is they were all 1st round picks

Nope. Baertschi played 15 regular season games and 21 playoff games. He was instrumental in their run to the finals that season. Virtanen wasn't the poster boy for Utica, but Green firmly tucked him under his wing and willed the kid to make progression in his development. Markstrom is missing from that list and it was a good move to waive him early in the pre-season 2014 so he could build his way back up to the NHL.

While there does need to be more successes coming from Utica within the next few years, The Canucks have shown they're only willing to put a couple of rookies in each year, so those players in Utica have to compete with college players and players from overseas as well.