Sign in to follow this  
Tomato Pajamas

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

13 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Well it was Palmu himself who mentioned the lack of communication it's not like people are randomly jumping to conclusion, and when it comes to development the organization is 100% to blame.  Year after year we produce next to nothing in our minor league system.  

Bollocks. 

Off course the player would say that. It's exactly the point I am making.

You are also wrong about development as the problem in the past has been our scouting/picks. None of our players went on to shine anywhere else. 

It is only since JB came we have had anything worthwhile to work with.

• Hydration 1

8 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

I remember AV coaching the Manitoba moose. Tons of the old Canucks core came from that. 

I hope same happens with Utica and they develop the young guys correctly.

i haven’t been able to watch Comets games this season but I hope canuck prospects get the majority of ice time over the “not in Canuck system” players.

It will. Instant gratification is in full effect with this fanbase. There was nothing in the system when Benning got here. It's not as though Jensen and Grenier were undiscovered talent who made it with another team. If these guys can play in the NHL they will. If they can't, then they'll be ply their trade in lesser leagues. It's professional hockey not the special olympics.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

It will. Instant gratification is in full effect with this fanbase. There was nothing in the system when Benning got here. It's not as though Jensen and Grenier were undiscovered talent who made it with another team. If these guys can play in the NHL they will. If they can't, then they'll be ply their trade in lesser leagues. It's professional hockey not the special olympics.

The Comets are a development system for Canucks prospects and should be used as such. Coachs should talk even more with the players. If a player is saying the coach staff isn’t communicating with its player then JB needs to have a serious yelling at that coaching staff.

9 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Bollocks. 

Off course the player would say that. It's exactly the point I am making.

You are also wrong about development as the problem in the past has been our scouting/picks. None of our players went on to shine anywhere else. 

It is only since JB came we have had anything worthwhile to work with.

Juolevi, McCann, Virtanen, Tryamkin were all dealt with horribly.  Gaunce the refrigerator can play an NHL game but can't actually get anything done, Gaudette much of the same so far and clearly they wan't him developing far away from Utica.   Lind, Gadjovich, Dahlen all 2nd round picks having "meh" years, yes I know they are rookies but still showing little signs of progression thus far. Palmu already shipped back to Finland. Little Jordan Subban's AHL career took a serious nose dive after we tried to teach him how to play defense, as did Hunter Shinaruk's.  Stecher fast tracked, Baertschi mostly developed in Calgary just needed change of scenery. Finally Demko has risen to the top after years of solid progression but even still, we haven't seen him play yet and he is taking the goalie's long road.  

We don't develop young talent well it's been this way for years.  Boeser, Petterson and Horvat are special kinds of players, they don't need to be hand held.  We havent  developed well since the Edler, Burrows, Kesler, Hansen days

Edited by The 5th Line
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Juolevi, McCann, Virtanen, Tryamkin were all dealt with horribly.  Gaunce the refrigerator can play an NHL game but can't actually get anything done, Gaudette much of the same so far and clearly they wan't him developing far away from Utica.   Lind, Gadjovich, Dahlen all 2nd round picks having "meh" years, yes I know they are rookies but still showing little signs of progression thus far.  Little Jordan Subban's AHL career took a serious nose dive after we tried to teach him how to play defense, as did Hunter Shinaruk's.  Stecher fast tracked, Baertschi mostly developed in Calgary just needed change of scenery. Finally Demko has risen to the top after years of solid progression but even still, we haven't seen him play yet and he is taking the goalie's long road.  Jasek and MacEwen could prove to be good examples of drafting/developing..hopefully

We don't develop young talent well it's been this way for years.  Boeser, Petterson and Horvat are special kinds of players, they don't need to be hand held. 

Id say we developed Horvat well in his first few years but I must agree with your overall message.

This offseason and next year are going to be huge for the development of our young players. If guys like Lind, Gadj, Dahlen arent showing progression then there's something wrong with the system.

Patience is key but you need to see at least some progress.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UticaHockey said:

Why do so many people take Palmu's comments as the gospel without questioning if they are 100% accurate?  Palmu was interviewed by Vancouver media member and basically threw his GM and coach under the bus for not communicating to him why he didn't play as much in Utica as he thought he should.  Both Ryan Johnson and Trent Cull have since been interviewed and basically said that the expectations and feedback to the players are consistently communicated.  If you go to page 100 of the Utica Comets thread you will fine a series of Tweets from Craig MacEwen (Zack's dad) I posted that supports the Comets coaching staff and their use of video review as part of communication process to each player.  MacEwen states that onus is ALWAYS on the player and he finds it hard to believe that Palmu was left hanging.  

Is it not possible that Palmu's ego got a little bruised by his experience in Utica and wanted to deflect the blame back on his coaches?  I'm not willing to take his word blindly over Cull or Johnson because Petrus Palmu has his own credibility issues that need to be taken into consideration.  Go back to page 15 in this thread and read about the legal issues that this kid got into in Finland because of illegally catching protected species of fish in restricted areas.  Not once but he did this multiple times after being previously warned about it.  In the grand schemes of things do I really care about his illegal fishing activities when he was a 20 year old kid?  No....but it does make me question the word of a now 21 year old kid over the adult coaches and GM that he threw under the bus to the Vancouver media.

At the end of the day he did not play well enough when he did have his chances to stay in the line up.  I have no idea what was said to him or what he was asked to work on.  But I don't automatically believe what he claims was said or lack there of.  And a word of advice to him....throwing adults who are there to coach and guide you under the bus when you are a 21 year old kid that has proven nothing is not a good career move.

I do agree with this........it's humbling for a lot of these players, who have always been the stars of their teams, to get to that level and struggle to find their way.  

I'm willing to bet that there was a bit of a language issue with the statement as well.  I know PP speaks English pretty well, but it's easy to create a misunderstanding when it's not your primary language.

I

8 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

So they either have what it takes or they don't?   Development is just some made up thing?  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I do agree with this........it's humbling for a lot of these players, who have always been the stars of their teams, to get to that level and struggle to find their way.  

I'm willing to bet that there was a bit of a language issue with the statement as well.  I know PP speaks English pretty well, but it's easy to create a misunderstanding when it's not your primary language.

I

And it's not like the Vancouver media to use that to create a big story during a slow day would it?  Look at the timing....the Canucks finished up the road trip and had multiple days off before they started the home stand.  With two sports talk radio stations in Vancouver and countless Canucks Experts on Twitter it's always a race for higher ratings and more clicks.  

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

And it's not like the Vancouver media to use that to create a big story during a slow day would it?  Look at the timing....the Canucks finished up the road trip and had multiple days off before they started the home stand.  With two sports talk radio stations in Vancouver and countless Canucks Experts on Twitter it's always a race for higher ratings and more clicks.  

a sad, sad but true story

1 hour ago, UticaHockey said:

Why do so many people take Palmu's comments as the gospel without questioning if they are 100% accurate?  Palmu was interviewed by Vancouver media member and basically threw his GM and coach under the bus for not communicating to him why he didn't play as much in Utica as he thought he should.  Both Ryan Johnson and Trent Cull have since been interviewed and basically said that the expectations and feedback to the players are consistently communicated.  If you go to page 100 of the Utica Comets thread you will fine a series of Tweets from Craig MacEwen (Zack's dad) I posted that supports the Comets coaching staff and their use of video review as part of communication process to each player.  MacEwen states that onus is ALWAYS on the player and he finds it hard to believe that Palmu was left hanging.  

Is it not possible that Palmu's ego got a little bruised by his experience in Utica and wanted to deflect the blame back on his coaches?  I'm not willing to take his word blindly over Cull or Johnson because Petrus Palmu has his own credibility issues that need to be taken into consideration.  Go back to page 15 in this thread and read about the legal issues that this kid got into in Finland because of illegally catching protected species of fish in restricted areas.  Not once but he did this multiple times after being previously warned about it.  In the grand schemes of things do I really care about his illegal fishing activities when he was a 20 year old kid?  No....but it does make me question the word of a now 21 year old kid over the adult coaches and GM that he threw under the bus to the Vancouver media.

At the end of the day he did not play well enough when he did have his chances to stay in the line up.  I have no idea what was said to him or what he was asked to work on.  But I don't automatically believe what he claims was said or lack there of.  And a word of advice to him....throwing adults who are there to coach and guide you under the bus when you are a 21 year old kid that has proven nothing is not a good career move.

This about development of the players.

A player who is saying there’s communication problems with Staff should be deeply looked into.

Comets GM and Coaching staff are trying to save they’re own asses. I believe JB has some investigating to do.

develop the player is number 1. 

Staff heads should roll if there is a lack of communication issues going on.

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

This about development of the players.

I player who is saying there’s communication problems with Staff should be deeply looked into.

Comets GM and Coaching staff are trying to save they’re own asses. I believe JB has some investigating to do.

develop the player is number 1. 

Staff heads should roll if there is a lack of communication issues going on.

Or more likely Petrus is a self centered, overly confident twerp. Unable to accept his own responsibility for his lack of success he lashed out on his way back home.

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Or more likely Petrus is a self centered, overly confident twerp. Unable to accept his own responsibility for his lack of success he lashed out on his way back home.

But he’s a Canuck prospect, it doesn’t matter ,just develop the kid.

so your saying the staff is unable to deal with immaturity. So the staff also needs to grow up and develop the kid.

Edited by HockeyHarry
  • Like 1

But he’s a Canuck prospect, it doesn’t matter ,just develop the kid.

If the kid won't listen and at least try to do what is asked of him, you move on to a player that will listen and attempt to do as asked.

This is not high school.

The Staff then should be professional and take developing the kids more serious or be replaced.

• Like 1

The Staff then should be professional and take developing the kids more serious or be replaced.

It is easier and smarter to replace the kid.

• Hydration 1

If the kid won't listen and at least try to do what is asked of him, you move on to a player that will listen and attempt to do as asked.

This is not high school.

He played in Owen Sound for 3 seasons. Probably not too hard to find out how coachable he was.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

It is easier and smarter to replace the kid.

If that’s the thought process there then fire the staff.

develop the prospects even the bratty kids. 

This should not be high school gym teachers.

10 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

If that’s the thought process there then fire the staff.

develop the prospects even the bratty kids. 

This should not be high school gym teachers.

hockey is a multi million dollar business, run by professionals that have been in the trade for years. If one kid, and that is what you are focusing on, does not get it that is on the player.

All the other players seem to get it, so if every body else is getting it, it would seem to me that the problem is the kid; not the coaches or organization.

Remember this is the self entitled illegal fisher of Europe. Hopefully he comes back after growing his game and his maturity.

• Hydration 1