The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

2 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

I just find it odd that during the OFF season players improve the most. Weather it be skating, stickhandling, shooting or overall fitness. 

Why is that?

recovery time, no travel, more time train.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

We're not getting the bang for our buck lately in Utica. They want to win so they go with older vet signings to help them. This leaves some of our young guys sitting.

So if our young draft picks aren't deemed ready for significant ice time what are we supposed to do with them?

There’s literally a rule in the AHL that says you can only dress 5 vets per game so that isn’t true.  

Also, I sure hope they want to win.  That’s a skill like any other that needs to be learned.  Coachability, selflessness, consistency, discipline, commitment to improving.. that’s how you learn to win.  If our prospects are rubbing elbows with older guys who can teach them those things then I’m all for it.  

Having a tantrum at the coach because a few kids aren’t getting playing time is silly.  If they were playing well, I would be a little concerned but they obviously have a ton of growing to do before they can pull their weight at the AHL level.  They’re still being developed in practice and limited game time.  If this were a non-club controlled affiliate they’d probably have been cut or shipped to the echl awhile ago.

Want to destroy a kids career?  Give them playing time they didn’t earn.  Don’t push them to get better.  Isolate them in the locker room by providing preferential treatment. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, gurn said:

recovery time, no travel, more time train.

I wonder what would happen, if above ^ they did that throughout the year.

prospects playing 1 outa 3 games. With that 1 game they play top line mins. 

and the rest of the time is spent training. Concentrating on improving Skating, stick handle, shooting and fitness.

Just like off season trading. Maybe player development will occurs.

just a thought.

17 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

The NHL is the most competitive league in the world, and if you can’t compete you won’t play there long.  If you have a ton of talent, you might get a longer leash depending on who you play for and how deep that team is.  The AHL, as much as anything, is about learning to compete with professionals - apparently, Palmu wasn’t able to do that on a consistent basis up to this point.  Virtanen was not treated badly in the AHL by the staff, he was a mile out of shape and they let him know all about it.  That is not being mean, it is about reality, the reality of the conditioning level he has to be at to play even in the AHL - Jake was a man about it, took the advise he was given to heart, and got himself into NHL shape.  His defensive game also was not good enough, so he got to play on the fourth line in Vancouver until he learned to do what was expected of an NHL player.  From what was reported, Palmu had to make excuses and blame his coaches.  Note that Jake didn’t do that, neither did Hutton.  On the other hand, Goldobin is a work in progress.

The coaches don’t bench these kids to be mean, if they are to remain coaches, they have to get the best out of their players - the coaches are also competing in the best hockey leagues in the world - if they can’t get the best out of their players, their fate is the same as the players who can’t make the grade.  Gaudette has been dealt with very well, and you sure didn’t hear him complain about being sent down, he had a three point game and got a ticket back to Vancouver, where he got another goal.  Some players get it right away, they are their own best critics - not in a way where they beat themselves up about, but in a way that is realistic assessment of their mistakes and what they need to do to improve - case in point Pettersson, who has to be dragged off the ice at practice - a kid who already has a two hundred foot game.  The reason he plays, like Boeser, is because they have earned the right.

I'd just add that apart from earning the right, their formative years have been dealt with correctly ie they have had good coaches  and coaching in their formative years. Some kids with good skill levels are wasted because the coach just opened the gate and hoped he wins the game. Good coaches take even their star players to task and expect the same structure and work ethic from all his players.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Alflives said:

I thought Liiga was supposed to be a good Euro league.  So Palmu can't even crack the Utica lineup, but in Liiga scores at a .75 pgm rate?  I still think Palmu was given a raw deal in Utica. 

We are in no place to make those judgements haha. Hopefully he will return though.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...