Sign in to follow this  
Tomato Pajamas

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Yeah, hence my “he wasn’t even 19 when we drafted him” comment. Undersized, over aged when we drafted him. Not exactly a premier prospect.

Ya, he's honestly a great player and might figure it out and come back. Another year in Finland will only do him good.

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Remember Trent Cull wasn't their top choice to coach Utica, sounds like he was the 3rd of 4th option.  I already stated for the record that I doubt PP would ever make it to the NHL but as a Canuck fan I rather see our prospects play and hopefully overcome their struggles than to have some 30yo with zero chance at the big leagues eat up their spots.  You cant have prospects in the press box no matter what the league is. 

you can if they are out of their depth.......what good comes from over playing a kid who isn't quite ready?  

9 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Ya, he's honestly a great player and might figure it out and come back. Another year in Finland will only do him good.

He's likely just a victim of a bunch of kids being in Utica. Same with Dahlen. They gotta "pay their dues" while also battling other kids for ice time cause we can't have more than 2 on the ice at any given time I guess.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, cyoung said:

people are acting like he's a top pick or something.  He was always, always a distant shot at making a career for himself in NA.  

29 minutes ago, stawns said:

people are acting like he's a top pick or something.  He was always, always a distant shot at making a career for himself in NA.  

Exactly, at least he gets to play with Kakko this year haha

• Upvote 2

Palmu is the most underrated prospect in the NHL. This guy has so much skill and I'm sure he'll be an impact player especially the way the game has changed. All about young fast and skilled players and that's what palmu is. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Carlutch98 said:

Palmu is the most underrated prospect in the NHL. This guy has so much skill and I'm sure he'll be an impact player especially the way the game has changed. All about young fast and skilled players and that's what palmu is. 

What store did you get your rose colored glasses from?

• Upvote 2

It's good to see Petrus doing well in Finland. I'm glad to see that he can get more minutes in games there. At the end of the day, it's what shows in training camp that really matters, I have a feeling he will end up in the NHL somehow,

3 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Or complete sarcasm.

12 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

What?!? Sick chirp man

12 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Hey he likely has the same chnace as others. The question that needs to be answered is does he wish to throw his chnaces in with Utica/Vcr. The kid needs to look after himself and career. Maybe the SEL/KHL might see him get a better chnace as a stepping stone

At this point it may be better to leave Palmu in Europe and hold onto his rights like we did with Rodin. If he has a dominant season we can bring him back for another look; but if he can’t be a top scoring player in Europe he’ll never make it in the NHL. 

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, GoldenAlien said:

At this point it may be better to leave Palmu in Europe and hold onto his rights like we did with Rodin. If he has a dominant season we can bring him back for another look; but if he can’t be a top scoring player in Europe he’ll never make it in the NHL. 

It would have been a nice story if he made it but people need to remind themselves that Palmu is a 5'6" sixth round draft choice.  He beat the odds by even getting a NHL contract.  The odds of him making the NHL have always been very slim. 

• Hydration 2

7 hours ago, GoldenAlien said:

But, but........it's completely the fault of the Comets and Canucks staff that he's not in the AHL developing into a top 3 fwd for next season right?

Just like we'll probably find out with JD (though he's got a shot) in the next year or two, they were probably never going to be NHL players, let alone impact players.

• Hydration 2

HPK knocked Palmu's (and Kakko's) TPS out of the first round in five games.  Final stats for Palmu:

Regular season: 29GP - 4G - 18pts

Playoffs: 4GP - 0G - 0pts

His rookie year with TPS:

Regular season: 59GP - 17G - 36pts

Playoffs: 11GP - 4G - 6pts

1 hour ago, GoldenAlien said:

HPK knocked Palmu's (and Kakko's) TPS out of the first round in five games.  Final stats for Palmu:

Regular season: 29GP - 4G - 18pts

Playoffs: 4GP - 0G - 0pts

His rookie year with TPS:

Regular season: 59GP - 17G - 36pts

Playoffs: 11GP - 4G - 6pts

Meh, sophomore slumps aren't limited to NHL players :p

I think the problem might be Utica itself similar to when the Canucks had their affiliate with the Chicago Wolves. Utica Comets and Chicago Wolves are still a business and the bottom line is that business is good which means, they their priority is winning. I know having Utica is has its benefits, great crowd, short commute to games meaning more practices and downtime, but the business itself has to compete with other sporting events as we all know, the NY area as well as when they were in the Chicago area, quite saturated with never ending number of proffesional teams, competing for the all mighty consumer dollar. The benefit of having the affiliate, lets just say Abbotsford (or Langley), the teams focus will be more towards development, putting young Canuck prospects in the forefront, win or lose, because theres a rabid fanbase here for anything Canucks. Theres MORE than enough people to sell out an Abbotsford team because fans won't care about the results, as long as they see the young guns play. I think Jim Benning will probably have to weigh that as an option, especially now that that AHL has grown more Western teams in the last few years or so

3 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I think the problem might be Utica itself similar to when the Canucks had their affiliate with the Chicago Wolves. Utica Comets and Chicago Wolves are still a business and the bottom line is that business is good which means, they their priority is winning. I know having Utica is has its benefits, great crowd, short commute to games meaning more practices and downtime, but the business itself has to compete with other sporting events as we all know, the NY area as well as when they were in the Chicago area, quite saturated with never ending number of proffesional teams, competing for the all mighty consumer dollar. The benefit of having the affiliate, lets just say Abbotsford (or Langley), the teams focus will be more towards development, putting young Canuck prospects in the forefront, win or lose, because theres a rabid fanbase here for anything Canucks. Theres MORE than enough people to sell out an Abbotsford team because fans won't care about the results, as long as they see the young guns play. I think Jim Benning will probably have to weigh that as an option, especially now that that AHL has grown more Western teams in the last few years or so

Your analysis is incorrect because in Utica the Canucks control 100% of the hockey operations where in Chicago they did not.  If there is a problem with the staff that Benning hired in Utica it falls on him to make the appropriate changes.  So many Vancouver fans either lose sight or simply are not aware that the Canucks have 100% control of the team on the ice and that Robert Esche and his staff only run the business side of the team.  Esche has zero say in any hockey decisions.