The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

1 hour ago, GoldenAlien said:

HPK knocked Palmu's (and Kakko's) TPS out of the first round in five games.  Final stats for Palmu:

Regular season: 29GP - 4G - 18pts

Playoffs: 4GP - 0G - 0pts

His rookie year with TPS:

Regular season: 59GP - 17G - 36pts

Playoffs: 11GP - 4G - 6pts

Meh, sophomore slumps aren't limited to NHL players :p

I think the problem might be Utica itself similar to when the Canucks had their affiliate with the Chicago Wolves. Utica Comets and Chicago Wolves are still a business and the bottom line is that business is good which means, they their priority is winning. I know having Utica is has its benefits, great crowd, short commute to games meaning more practices and downtime, but the business itself has to compete with other sporting events as we all know, the NY area as well as when they were in the Chicago area, quite saturated with never ending number of proffesional teams, competing for the all mighty consumer dollar. The benefit of having the affiliate, lets just say Abbotsford (or Langley), the teams focus will be more towards development, putting young Canuck prospects in the forefront, win or lose, because theres a rabid fanbase here for anything Canucks. Theres MORE than enough people to sell out an Abbotsford team because fans won't care about the results, as long as they see the young guns play. I think Jim Benning will probably have to weigh that as an option, especially now that that AHL has grown more Western teams in the last few years or so

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I think the problem might be Utica itself similar to when the Canucks had their affiliate with the Chicago Wolves. Utica Comets and Chicago Wolves are still a business and the bottom line is that business is good which means, they their priority is winning. I know having Utica is has its benefits, great crowd, short commute to games meaning more practices and downtime, but the business itself has to compete with other sporting events as we all know, the NY area as well as when they were in the Chicago area, quite saturated with never ending number of proffesional teams, competing for the all mighty consumer dollar. The benefit of having the affiliate, lets just say Abbotsford (or Langley), the teams focus will be more towards development, putting young Canuck prospects in the forefront, win or lose, because theres a rabid fanbase here for anything Canucks. Theres MORE than enough people to sell out an Abbotsford team because fans won't care about the results, as long as they see the young guns play. I think Jim Benning will probably have to weigh that as an option, especially now that that AHL has grown more Western teams in the last few years or so

Your analysis is incorrect because in Utica the Canucks control 100% of the hockey operations where in Chicago they did not.  If there is a problem with the staff that Benning hired in Utica it falls on him to make the appropriate changes.  So many Vancouver fans either lose sight or simply are not aware that the Canucks have 100% control of the team on the ice and that Robert Esche and his staff only run the business side of the team.  Esche has zero say in any hockey decisions.  

• Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I dont forsee a future for Palmu moving forward with this organization.

Wonder if you can package him for another asset that isn't working for another team.

Not a good sign when he wasn't at the prospects camp IMO. He has  a lot to prove

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

None of our prospects with pro European contracts were there.  My guess would be that they're not allowed to attend.

Toni Utunen and Karel Plasek were at camp.

Ryan Johnson was asked about Petrus Palmu and had no comment regarding him.  

• Upvote 1

I know he scored a lot in Jr. but as a late pick he is a bit of a long shot.  He may still work out but I think we in Vancouver need to be a little more realistic about prospects when they don't work out.  They are prospective players not a sure thing.  I wonder if the fact that we have such a bad history at the draft that now that our team is drafting well, we are over valuing our prospects.

• Upvote 1

Utica should be developing, I can care less if they win or lose, we need to develope the next wave of prospects

We have 20 million in dead money, in 3 years that money is going to Petterson and Hughes. 

Draft and develope ! 

5 hours ago, klw604 said:

Utica should be developing, I can care less if they win or lose, we need to develope the next wave of prospects

We have 20 million in dead money, in 3 years that money is going to Petterson and Hughes. 

Draft and develope ! 

They're developing just fine.  

Fans need to realize that not every single prospect will turn into an NHL player.  When a 5th round pick doesn't make it, it's really not a surprise.  

• 1 month later...

Update from Finland:

Google translate: How does Petrus Palmu's second season at AHL take the wind under his wings?

The article:

Joensuu-based Petrus Palmun has been seen chilling Vancouver Canucks trousers while wearing the Mestis team's Summer Boys training. At the AHL in the fall, the pier, which begins its second season, has enjoyed its home frogs.

- The river boys have a clear current. It's nice to have an ice experience at home, Palmu said in a video interview on the Jokipoits homepage.

AHL outfit With only 12 games played in Utica Comets this past season and a 0 + 1 = 1 power play, Palm has apparently enjoyed the summer. It promises a good near future.

- I've been practicing as a general rule in Joensuu. Summer has been intact.

Last season for Joensuu was difficult. The first appearance of the palm on the farm did not really take the wind under the wings, and the player returned to Finland. Palmu played a total of 33 battles at TPS. Only the 168 centimeter striker has worked hard.

- I have tried to train at the time diversely. I have drawn attention to the speed, and explosiveness. That side must be in perfect condition when I have a smaller player.

Palmu starts to fight for the NHL spot with confidence, even though last season was difficult.

- Well done. Great to have the opportunity to fight for a place like this. One cannot try to be positive and try to enjoy ice hockey. It's not more serious.

Wonky translation but it seems like Palmu is coming to the AHL for a second season instead of being loaned again to TPS.  Looks like he's wearing some Canucks gear during summer skates as well.  He's still a long shot, but if he's committed to making the NHL, then good on him for trying.

Edited by GoldenAlien
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, GoldenAlien said:

Update from Finland:

Google translate: How does Petrus Palmu's second season at AHL take the wind under his wings?

The article:

Wonky translation but it seems like Palmu is coming to the AHL for a second season instead of being loaned again to TPS.  Looks like he's wearing some Canucks gear during summer skates as well.  He's still a long shot, but if he's committed to making the NHL, then good on him for trying.

Good find. Google translation is pretty ok, however he didn't say he is going back to Utica nor TPS.

From the way he says it, he is coming to camp and everything will be decided afterwards. However, really good for both Petrus and Canucks, that the relationship wasn't affected by last years departure.

I'm curious how he'll perform in the camp.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jasin23 said:

Good find. Google translation is pretty ok, however he didn't say he is going back to Utica nor TPS.

From the way he says it, he is coming to camp and everything will be decided afterwards. However, really good for both Petrus and Canucks, that the relationship wasn't affected by last years departure.

I'm curious how he'll perform in the camp.

Cheers for that too. Thought it was his plan to return to the AHL after the Google translate, but I guess not yet.

"

At the AHL in the fall, the pier, which begins its second season, has enjoyed its homefrogs.

- The river boys have a clear current. It's nice to have an ice experience at home, Palmu said in a video interview on the Jokipoits homepage" 

Love.Google translate! 

4 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Cheers for that too. Thought it was his plan to return to the AHL after the Google translate, but I guess not yet.

Listened to the interview again, what he says is, he is coming back to fight for the NHL spot - what that means, I have no idea. But I would say, that NHL camp a then they decide. However, my feeling is, that second departure to Europe wouldn't be seen too positively by Canucks..

Had a good summer, without any injuries and he has been imporving quickness and speed.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

"

At the AHL in the fall, the pier, which begins its second season, has enjoyed its homefrogs.

- The river boys have a clear current. It's nice to have an ice experience at home, Palmu said in a video interview on the Jokipoits homepage" 

Love.Google translate! 

Does that mean we should run with it or bank on it?