The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

2 minutes ago, bp79 said:

Thanks. Could you imagine nowadays being able to get right in the bowels of rogers place? Life was so simple before. As A kid running out of your seat hoping to get close enough to the dressing room so you could get noticed.. Ha The smell my god was terrible.

We used to get autographs at the old Pac Coliseum back in the 70's. Remember how excited I was to get the Habs dynasty guys signing my program. Lafleur & the gang.

• Upvote 1

The kid is stocky, and works hard I believe he has a good chance of succeeding from seeing and reading about what those who know him best are saying. Pretty much all of Jim Benning's draft picks are hard working, hard working 200' players, with a few pure snipers thrown in. The future is bright and will only get better since we will be drafting pretty high again next year.

• Upvote 1

One important thing to keep in mind: Petrus is a 97 birthday so he's an overager. In his draft year, he was under a PPG, something that's a bit alarming for a small skilled player. I'm guessing that's why he was taken late. 

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

We used to get autographs at the old Pac Coliseum back in the 70's. Remember how excited I was to get the Habs dynasty guys signing my program. Lafleur & the gang.

The good old days. now your lucky to get a fist tap on their way to the ice. Or watching the bad ass New westminster Bruins. God they were dirty to play against and fun as hell to watch.

• Upvote 1

I really like the pick. If he makes it to the big club or not, he will inject so flair and skill into Utica at least. I hope he gets a chance to play in the Young Guns tourney. His highlights are fantastic and not afraid of contact. I hope he is a hidden gem.

• Upvote 1

Such an interesting pick.

While size could be an issue, his speed, agility and dynamic skills hopefully compensate.

Check out another small forward:  Johnny Hockey - LW | 5' 9" | 157 lb | Age: 23 

Gaudreau is 2 inches taller but 20 pounds lighter than Palmu (who's only 19).

You can't hit what you can't catch so hopefully the kid does have an NHL future with us.

Palmu! Wow, very skilled. 5'7" is a huge road block to overcome and he's almost 20 years old but man does he have a ton of tools that can't be taught. Seems very solid on his feet which isn't surprising considering his thick build and low centre of gravity. Very quick, very shifty with dangles. Unreal vision and ability to fit a pass into a small window (he plays the point on their powerplay unit as well). He has an accurate shot that is lightining quick or hard depending on the situation. A lot of goals going bar and in. Check out this highlight package:

I might be the most excited about him simply because he was taken so late. If this guy had a couple more inches on him, I would guess he would've been taken 3 rounds earlier or taken in last year's draft.

Just now, Ronaldoescobar said:

I hope he will one day turn out and play for the nucks but all i see is another Dane Fox. 

Dane Fox, for one, couldn't skate nearly so well as Palmu.  Plus, Palmu drives the offence with his play, while Fox relied on McDavid.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Dane Fox, for one, couldn't skate nearly so well as Palmu.  Plus, Palmu drives the offence with his play, while Fox relied on McDavid.  

My apologies, I didnt mean to compare his playing style to Fox just that I feel he will end up in the ECHL (AHL/KHL max) one day. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

Just fished watching his highlites. I really like his potential. He's small t his elusiveness and speed. It could offset his size and translate well to the NHL. The next Cliff Ronning.

Agreed. I like the fact he isn't afraid to go to the front of the net...

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, JamesBlondage said:

Agreed. I like the fact he isn't afraid to go to the front of the net...

Another big factor in his potential success is his ability to carry his bulk with speed. At 179 lbs, he,s heavy for his height but this is another attribute that will work to his advantage.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Iggynucks said:

Palmu! Wow, very skilled. 5'7" is a huge road block to overcome and he's almost 20 years old but man does he have a ton of tools that can't be taught. Seems very solid on his feet which isn't surprising considering his thick build and low centre of gravity. Very quick, very shifty with dangles. Unreal vision and ability to fit a pass into a small window (he plays the point on their powerplay unit as well). He has an accurate shot that is lightining quick or hard depending on the situation. A lot of goals going bar and in. Check out this highlight package:

I might be the most excited about him simply because he was taken so late. If this guy had a couple more inches on him, I would guess he would've been taken 3 rounds earlier or taken in last year's draft.

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/audio/mcgill-gadjovich-will-will-himself-to-be-nhler-palmu-will-be-fan-favourite-1.789384

Another great interview from their coach that could probably go in the Gadjovich thread, but just watching that highlight reel I noticed how many of those goals were scored with number 21 standing directly in front of the tender. Go to 6:00 if you don't have the time to listen to the whole thing. 

I'm all for drafting these players that are besties like Petterson with Dahlen and Palmu to go with Gadjovich. Chemistry is an intangible that will give these players a leg up on the competition.

• Upvote 3