The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

Okay so this is probably the most intriguing pick of this draft. It's hard to believe that no other team took a chance on him.

There's something different but awesome about the way Palmu plays. He's always a threat when hes on the ice, with his great vision and ability to make a tough pass or get shots through. Just one of those guys you can count on to make plays and finish them. 

really hope he can transition to the NHL and bring the same tremendous play.

Ps. so much positivity in this thread :towel: 

Edited by Setyoureyesontheprize

Not to be a downer, but I wish the best for this kid. But Schroeder, and Subban are wake up calls to know the kid's got the deck stacked against him. 

I hope he makes it. But he is a 6th round pick. But there's one stat you can't measure. The size of your heart. 

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Not to be a downer, but I wish the best for this kid. But Schroeder, and Subban are wake up calls to know the kid's got the deck stacked against him. 

I hope he makes it. But he is a 6th round pick. But there's one stat you can't measure. The size of your heart. 

I don't think anybody is going to deny that he's a long shot, but hey, we're due for one of our long shots paying off, and this kid certainly has the skills to do so.

It's also pretty sweet that him and Gadjovich are best friends. Could totally see them on a line together.

Big Gadj and Little Pete B)

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

V02 max.

There's a measurement for everything!!!!

I kid I kid 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Sure, but Petrus wasn't a 1st round pick, and can play some defence.

;)

• Upvote 2

Haven't heard any post-draft interviews from him, but here's one from January 2016.  Doesn't seem like he has much of the usual Finnish accent, and looks decently muscular even back then.  Wouldn't be surprised if he and Gadjovich are also gym buddies.  Considering he has Martin St. Louis as his Twitter banner pic, he's no doubt his targeted role model.

• Upvote 1

On 6/28/2017 at 8:50 AM, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I don't think anybody is going to deny that he's a long shot, 

Sure he is, but I actually like the pick.   I'm pretty sure Calgary is pleased with the risk they took on Gaudreau, and they drafted him far, far ahead of Palmu.  

In today's NHL, there is more room for little speedy and creative guys like this and with that being the direction the league is headed in, one can only imagine it will be even more the case in 2-3 year's time when Palmu might be ready to transition into the NHL.  I'm actually pretty excited to have him in the prospect cupboard and if nothing else he should make Utica more interesting.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Judd identified him early and he popped on the analytics side

Not that we needed further proof that the Canucks use analytics. There's been plenty of evidence over the years. And our first three picks in this draft should make it clear enough (given how well they chart on advanced stats). But it's still nice to get the occasional direct quote from management confirming that our player personnel decisions are informed by both analytics and the good ol' eye test.

The phrasing in particular is worth noting. Players "popping" on the analytics side suggests that our numbers guys produce a draft list of their own and that this information is included in the early stages of identifying draft targets. 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Sure he is, but I actually like the pick.   I'm pretty sure Calgary is pleased with the risk they took on Gaudreau, and they drafted him far, far ahead of Palmu.  

In today's NHL, there is more room for little speedy and creative guys like this and with that being the direction the league is headed in, one can only imagine it will be even more the case in 2-3 year's time when Palmu might be ready to transition into the NHL.  I'm actually pretty excited to have him in the prospect cupboard and if nothing else he should make Utica more interesting.

"one can only imagine it will be even more the case in 2-3 year's time "

It maybe faster, but if LA gets one more cup some GMs will be looking at building a big, strong physical team instead of speed. The pendulum swings back and forth, not always in one direction.

7 minutes ago, gurn said:

"one can only imagine it will be even more the case in 2-3 year's time "

It maybe faster, but if LA gets one more cup some GMs will be looking at building a big, strong physical team instead of speed. The pendulum swings back and forth, not always in one direction.

Well it has always been the case (and always will be) that the ideal is to have a player with size, speed AND size.  But those players are hard to come by, so it has to be decided what to give up in order to get the other two.  No skill = no scoring.  No speed usually = no scoring.  No size can be overcome by good balance and toughness.  

You are right... It changes as to what the most important elements are in a player, but with an effort by the league to make the game faster with less injury, I don't think we will see the game fall back towards the slower, harder hitting style we previously saw.  And honestly, I don't think a team that tries to direct themselves as such has a chance at the cup anymore.  I know Nashville didn't win, but they are a perfect example of how far a team can get now without really worrying about size at all.

With that said, size will always play some role as it is a physical contact sport.  Especially in the playoffs when everything is on the line, you want a team that can punish the other and wear them down.  This is why at this point in the game, I think it is beneficial to still have a few big guys on a team to make sure that happens.  But I can see a point in the future where size completely becomes a distant secondary desire against ability.

23 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Not that we needed further proof that the Canucks use analytics. There's been plenty of evidence over the years. And our first three picks in this draft should make it clear enough (given how well they chart on advanced stats). But it's still nice to get the occasional direct quote from management confirming that our player personnel decisions are informed by both analytics and the good ol' eye test.

The phrasing in particular is worth noting. Players "popping" on the analytics side suggests that our numbers guys produce a draft list of their own and that this information is included in the early stages of identifying draft targets. 

I like hearing we use multiple methods to choose the best players.  I wonder if JB and TL have been tight lipped about their use of analytics to keep other teams off the guys we like?  Kind of playing stupid?

Is it possible that we see Petrus and or Jonah suprise everyone and force the Canucks to keep them this season?  I recognize this is a long shot but these things do happen sometimes.  I realize it doesn't happen for the Canucks (our luck isn't that good usually::D) but may be our luck can change. ::D

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, dpn1 said:

Is it possible that we see Petrus and or Jonah suprise everyone and force the Canucks to keep them this season?  I recognize this is a long shot but these things do happen sometimes.  I realize it doesn't happen for the Canucks (our luck isn't that good usually::D) but may be our luck can change. ::D

Lucic forced his way onto the Bruins, when he came out.  And Jonah plays like that.

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like hearing we use multiple methods to choose the best players.  I wonder if JB and TL have been tight lipped about their use of analytics to keep other teams off the guys we like?  Kind of playing stupid?

Maybe to some extent. I mean, I kind of doubt we have much data the other teams don't have. But I'd expect we don't shout it from the rooftops (before the draft) that certain guys have "popped" on our analytics. 

I also think JB doesn't feel super comfortable talking about advanced stats so he's less likely to mention them. Not that he doesn't understand their value. He's just a traditional scout at heart so his mind goes to things like a player's skating or their style of play or how well they can "rip the puck" (to borrow one of his favourite phrases).

TL seems to be interested in analytics in general and he definitely mentions them more often than JB. 

And I get the feeling that Judd Brackett is very open to using analytics and they are a significant part of the scouting department's overall process in creating the final draft list. There's also been some good evidence that our scouts use analytics to help target camp invites.

I also think our management and pro scouts sometimes choose to look past advanced stats and try to identity value that some of the more obvious metrics might obscure (and we're not the only team that does this). In the early years, analytics were a great way to find undervalued players in the marketplace. However, as they have become more ubiquitous in player personnel decisions around the league, there can now be players that are quite undervalued in the market because they have poor fancy stats. Good traditional scouting methods can target players who have a real chance to out perform their numbers. So you can sometimes find very capable NHL players that the analytics community has largely dismissed as "less than replacement level." It's a tricky balance of course but value is often found in the margins.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Linden was quite complimentary towards Brackett this draft, saying he's "modernized" their systems.  What's encouraging is that while they very much do take and use advanced stats they apply them in proper context and do not rule by them, so seem to have a good balanced approach.

I think it's safe to say Brackett isn't one of the guys getting canned in the next couple weeks ;) 

• Upvote 1