The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

6 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Linden was quite complimentary towards Brackett this draft, saying he's "modernized" their systems.  What's encouraging is that while they very much do take and use advanced stats they apply them in proper context and do not rule by them, so seem to have a good balanced approach.

I like the idea of using advance stats for identifying the strengths of young players and using it to help chart their development track.  That's kind of what I took from Linden's statements regarding stats yesterday

16 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Haven't heard any post-draft interviews from him, but here's one from January 2016.  Doesn't seem like he has much of the usual Finnish accent, and looks decently muscular even back then.  Wouldn't be surprised if he and Gadjovich are also gym buddies.  Considering he has Martin St. Louis as his Twitter banner pic, he's no doubt his targeted role model.

Marty St. Louis would be the absolute best role model for him too so thats fantastic.

If he is to make it I would say he has similar upside. Marty was amazing though in my eyes. Top 3 Favourite player

15 hours ago, R3aL said:

Marty St. Louis would be the absolute best role model for him too so thats fantastic.

If he is to make it I would say he has similar upside. Marty was amazing though in my eyes. Top 3 Favourite player

He has to play like every game is his last. That's what made St Louis so good. He was fearless. I like that Palmu is Finnish, those guys are warriors. 

He is the most intriguing late rounder we have drafted since Hansen. 

• Upvote 2

On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 11:46 PM, Hutton Wink said:

That was crazy,  he lined up for the face off at left D then blew by everyone when they were standing still! 

Nice set play right there. 

4 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

He has to play like every game is his last. That's what made St Louis so good. He was fearless. I like that Palmu is Finnish, those guys are warriors. 

He is the most intriguing late rounder we have drafted since Hansen. 

Completely Agree.. This draft has the potential to be one of the best in Canuck history.. Pretty exciting prospects

• Upvote 1

Getting 4 or 5 prospects that realistically could end up in your line-up in the future is pretty amazing and I am not sure if it has ever happened for the Canucks before (or for anyone else).  This is the result of having a guy like Jim as a GM. 

48 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Relax, this same thing gets said every draft year and it rarely ever happens.  

Pretty relaxed - just think it was a draft with the most upside in awhile with the potential to be one of our best.

Everyone but Gunnarsson has decent upside.

Sure there is optimism post draft usually but name me a draft where we have had this much upside?

Pettersson

Lind

Gadjovich

All have serious skill, potential and character to reach the NHL. These are exciting guys all with unique assets and backgrounds that have all excelled to this point as elite scorers.

Dipietro

Palmu

Rathbone

Each obviously project picks - but they each bring something exciting to the table that could translate into the NHL.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Butters Stoch said:

Why not? It's a 6 rounder. Love these risky late round picks that everyone else underestimates. This is how Calgary snagged Johnny

The story behind Johnny was that Boston was also interested, so there was some alleged intrigue behind when to take him.  Flames figured Boston was about to, so they snagged him right before they could.  Palmu on the other hand has already been draft-eligible before, and as per the interview with the Owen Sound GM, scouts were told "not to leave the draft without him".

8 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Okay but all 30 NHL teams just had a draft as well and guess what?  They are all saying the exact same thing about the players they just selected.

Jared McCann was supposed to be our first line center, Shinkaruk = Naslund, Virtanen = Bertuzzi, "Tate Olson what a steal, Brett McKenzie is legit"  The 2014 draft was the best in Canucks history just a few short seasons ago.. 

I am happy with our draft too but I'm just pointing out that saying "we realistically have 4 or 5 players who could end up in our lineup" is far fetched and it gets said every year 

I agree there was lots of optimism for that draft.

However a large % of fans were not over the moon with the Virtanen or McCann pick.

I wanted Ritchie/Nylander and Scherbak. Hell I liked each player taken after McCann more. And remember McCanns post draft comments people were freaking out. Yes he was choked about dropping but he sounded choked to be a Canuck.

People weren't really excited about McCann until he scored some goals early in the year he joined the team.

Demko was a hell of a pick.

Tryamkin was a hell of a pick.

Forsling was a great late pick.

It was a decent draft and one certainly to be excited about especially since we had 2 first rounders. Could it have been better yes it could have. Virtanen is far from a write off too.

The 2014 draft did have 4/5 guys that could make the NHL and you know what it has.

Virtanen, McCann, Tryamkin and Forsling have all had NHL games early on.

Virtanen is working his way back to the NHL the right way too.

And Demko is most certainly going to make the NHL.

How can you say this draft doesn't have the potential to be a great one? 

Edited by R3aL

8 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Okay but all 30 NHL teams just had a draft as well and guess what?  They are all saying the exact same thing about the players they just selected.

Jared McCann was supposed to be our first line center, Shinkaruk = Naslund, Virtanen = Bertuzzi, "Tate Olson what a steal, Brett McKenzie is legit"  The 2014 draft was the best in Canucks history just a few short seasons ago.. 

I am happy with our draft too but I'm just pointing out that saying "we realistically have 4 or 5 players who could end up in our lineup" is far fetched and it gets said every year 

Exactly. People need to stay realistic. For all we know, Pettersson himself may never cut it at the NHL level. Every player has risk associated with them. Then for all we know, Gadjovich might end up a 40 goal scorer.

At the end of the day it all comes down to probability. I think the probability that Pettersson ends up a top line center is relatively high. The probability that Lind and Gadjovich end up consistent NHLers is pretty high too. After those 3, the probability drops off big time. That being said, our first 3 draft picks could all have horrible seasons next year, or end up AHLers for life. Probability of that is relatively low.

We need to stay realistic. It all comes down to our scouts really, but the next step is more important IMO, and that's how we develop these prospects.

The thing that intrigues me the most about Petrus Palmu is that he's not going to get any bigger, he's already got elite hands and speed.

If he can show that he can play with the big boys; Is it realistic that we may see him in a Vancouver uniform sooner then later?

He's never going to be a physical force, so there's not much left to develop. He's already as big as he needs to be. 

Rumour has it, we may well be singing Sam Gagne. A line of Palmu, Gagne and Goldobin, although small, could be nightmare to defend against. The speed would be awesome.

34 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Exactly. People need to stay realistic. For all we know, Pettersson himself may never cut it at the NHL level. Every player has risk associated with them. Then for all we know, Gadjovich might end up a 40 goal scorer.

At the end of the day it all comes down to probability. I think the probability that Pettersson ends up a top line center is relatively high. The probability that Lind and Gadjovich end up consistent NHLers is pretty high too. After those 3, the probability drops off big time. That being said, our first 3 draft picks could all have horrible seasons next year, or end up AHLers for life. Probability of that is relatively low.

We need to stay realistic. It all comes down to our scouts really, but the next step is more important IMO, and that's how we develop these prospects.

As much as I absolutely love those three picks, I think you're slightly overestimating these probabilities as well though, even though point of you're post is 100% correct. Lind is a borderline first rounder and these players usually don't have much impact, Gadjovich is a 2nd round talent so I'd put his chances at around 20%; which seems low but is realistic if you look at players picked at his position. I won't comment on Pettersson because he is literally my favourite Canucks draft pick in forever so I may have unrealistic expectations for him. 

Edited by Grape
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Grape said:

As much as I absolutely love those three picks, I think you're slightly overestimating these probabilities as well though, even though point of you're post is 100% correct. Lind is a borderline first rounder and these players usually don't have much impact, Gadjovich is a 2nd round talent so I'd put his chances at around 20%; which seems low but is realistic if you look at players picked at his position. I won't comment on Pettersson because he is literally my favourite Canucks draft pick in forever so I may have unrealistic expectations for him. 

I think statistically it's something like 44% of 2nd rounders make the NHL. 80% of first rounders do. As to whether or not they contribute consistently or are a flash-in-the-pan is hard to tell.

I like the fact that you're taking your Pettersson bias out of the equation, thank-you, we don't see much realism on these boards. I too love the Pettersson pick but realistically, he is a risky pick with his size and lack of a consensus pick, so anything could happen with him.

Now that the drafting is done however, I think the biggest part comes to play and that's development, especially for Pettersson. I am a firm believer that good teams draft well but great teams develop even better, no matter who they draft. I also believe that if we had done right by Virtanen and McCann, they could be real contributers at the NHL level right now. I'm glad we've taken the right approach so far with Juolevi but really hope we don't mess that up this season by rushing him into our top-4.

Luckily I don't think we'll be rushing Pettersson, and Lind and Gadjovich have plenty of winger competition so I doubt they'll be rushed either which is great news for all 3.

Too many variables to accurately put a number to a players chances of making the NHL. For instance, Jonah has NHL size, character and Grit that in my opinion gives him a greater chance of making the NHL than other 2nd rounders this year. But another player's skill and potential might make them more appealing despite the risks of them not making it.