The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

Sounds like the kid has some high end skill. Nice to see the Canucks take a flyer with a late pick on a highly skilled, yet undersized player. Too many times we pass on these guys for too much "meat and potatoes". If these late picks have such a low chance on making it, I'd rather have a long shot/high reward guy. If there's such a small chance of these guys making, just swing away and go for the home run. Like this pick very much.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

5'7" and 179 is actually pretty well filled out. If he can stay in peak shape, who knows, he could have a chance.

Yeah, that's a really solid build for his size. One of my gym buddies is about the same, and an absolute truck given his height. He's still going to have reach disadvantage, but he's got some meat on him for a small skilled winger.

Could be a fun little player to watch develop if we're patient. Could also end up being a minor league champion like Darren Haydar with no NHL transition. Either way, interesting pick.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, AV's Coin said:

Short but he looks solid with high end skill

Yeah, 180 pounds at 5'7" is pretty solid.  Size helps for equal skill but this guy seems to have the skill, and the attitude to go with it.  I like the pick.  We need someone who can put the puck in the net and this guy seems to be able to.  Benning is doing just fine despite the usual negativity from CDC.  GCG!

Edited by nux_win
  • Upvote 1

Here's Brock Otten's profile from his top-10 list of OHL draft re-entries:

Let's get this out of the way; Palmu is 5'7. OK, now for his other flaws...there aren't any. Palmu is one of the most exciting players to play in the OHL in recent years. When he's on the ice, you instantly become drawn to him. His play with the puck, his effort without the puck. His shot. His hockey sense. His smooth, yet powerful skating stride. He's just such a complete player. I really hope that an NHL team gives him a chance to play pro next year. He certainly deserves the chance. And while he's a long shot at best because of his size, if there's a guy who can play in the league at under 5'8, it's Palmu.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 2

He's a very high risk, high reward prospect. I'm more concerned with the fact that he's nearly 20, in addition to his size.

Still, boom or bust prospects are what the later rounds are for. I'm excited to see what he can do.