The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matt Brassard | D

Tomato Pajamas

Just now, EP Phone Home said:

I’m sorry if this has already been asked and answered but, what’s the deal with this prospect. Looks like a steal of a pick yet we haven’t found room to sign him to an ELC. I understand we are close to the 50 contract limit but you’d think that with the position of weakness in our organization that we would’ve given this kid a contract yet. Just curious because it would be great to see him at the youngstars games and a few preseason games to see what he is made of.

He might have got an ELC last year but was felled by a serious injury and was out for most of the season. I think the Canucks will still sign him based on how he has looked so far but will wait till spring to do that after they have seen him over a longer period to be sure the injury has not affected his game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

He might have got an ELC last year but was felled by a serious injury and was out for most of the season. I think the Canucks will still sign him based on how he has looked so far but will wait till spring to do that after they have seen him over a longer period to be sure the injury has not affected his game.

Thanks for the update he looks pretty promising for a late pick. Glad we are getting a few of those gems in the later rounds (Gaudette, Palmu)

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Brassard had 1 assist, 6 SOG, and 4 PIM (high sticking double minor), and was even in a 6-5 OT loss.

He now has 4 points (2G 2A) in 5 GP.

He’s also averaging just over 6 shots on goal per game.

Whatever injury he had seems to be healed up now and is continuing his impressive numbers for such a late pick. 

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

He's definitely an important player for Oshawa. He's their clear cut #1 defenseman and often serves as the engine for their offense. Plays nearly all his minutes alongside their top forward units at 5v5 where he initiates and supports their breakout, joins the attack on the rush, or when they get set-up, he often runs their offensive zone system from the point. He also plays on their top PP unit, sometimes staying on ice with both units and playing through the full man advantage (although less so far this year since Oshawa has built a deeper D with more options). And he's always the first Dman hitting the ice when they start 3-on-3 OT. He's just "the guy" on that team. Plays big minutes every night and gets used in all situations, but his value is most evident in how much they depend on him to create offense. Just on shot totals, you can see how important he is to their attack. Brassard's played 3 fewer games than most of his teammates (due to the injury and rehab), yet he leads that entire team in shots on goal, both in raw totals, where he has 5 more SOG than the next Generals player, and per game shot rate, where he has around 2 more SOG per game than anyone else on that team (Brassard is actually 2nd in the entire OHL, and the #1 Dman by the country mile, in SOG/GP). So much of the Oshawa offense, especially when they get set-up in the zone, revolves around working the puck up top and running their plays through Brassard. He doesn't always earn points on their goals (he produces a lot of "3rd assists") but when the Generals are really clicking offensively, Brassard tends to be the Dman you see on the ice when they score, and it's no accident. He's also a strong on-ice presence defensively, physically, and as part of Oshawa's leadership group.

Absolutely awesome summery, thanks man for the breakdown. Much appreciated SID.

3 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Brassard with another 6 SOG tonight. Still a bit snakebitten. I think he’s had 23 SOG the past 3 games he hasn’t scored.

He’s due for a goal or two.

Picked up an assist though and was +2 on the night.

Now has 5 points (2G 3A) in 6 GP.

Thanks for the update. IIRC he took almost until Xmas last year to get his first goal then the floodgates opened. Correct me if I'm wrong?

35 minutes ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

Thanks for the update. IIRC he took almost until Xmas last year to get his first goal then the floodgates opened. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Something like that. I think he had 8 assists in his first 24 games or something. And then was a point per game player for the rest of the season and ended up scoring 16 goals.

He already has 2 goals this year, I think in his first two games. And he's been all over the puck lately but just can't find the back of the net. It'll come.

Brassard is actually leading the entire OHL in shots on goal per game (EDIT: actually Jason Robertson is #1, but Brassard is 2nd and leads all OHL defensemen with 6.17 SOG/GP).

I wouldn't be surprised to see him go on a tear soon. 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1

18 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Brassard with another 6 SOG tonight. Still a bit snakebitten. I think he’s had 23 SOG the past 3 games he hasn’t scored.

He’s due for a goal or two.

Picked up an assist though and was +2 on the night.

Now has 5 points (2G 3A) in 6 GP.

So, does Brassard just shoot the puck whenever he gets the chance? I've never seen a D-man with such a consistently high amount of shots.

1 hour ago, Qwags said:

So, does Brassard just shoot the puck whenever he gets the chance? I've never seen a D-man with such a consistently high amount of shots.

He definitely likes to shoot the puck. And Oshawa runs several schemes that use him as a shooting option. He doesn’t waste many shots just blasting away from low percentage areas. He’s pretty good at picking his spots and getting pucks through from the point to create defections or rebounds, or sneaking down into the slot himself to finish plays.

On 10/14/2018 at 1:05 PM, EP Phone Home said:

I’m sorry if this has already been asked and answered but, what’s the deal with this prospect. Looks like a steal of a pick yet we haven’t found room to sign him to an ELC. I understand we are close to the 50 contract limit but you’d think that with the position of weakness in our organization that we would’ve given this kid a contract yet. Just curious because it would be great to see him at the youngstars games and a few preseason games to see what he is made of.

He had a shoulder injury last year and in the spring the Organization thought he would need until December to recovery. Luckily, Brassard recovered quickly and is already playing. We are at 46 contracts. I suspect Brassard will be signed in the spring. The defensive depth in our prospect pool is a little weak and he can capitalize on it by signing this spring if he continues his good play.

He really does look like a 7th round steal. Even if he doesn't become an everyday NHLer, and only slots into a few games as a replacement guy, that's still a huge win for the organization.

• Cheers 1

No word on the nature of the injury. I was following three different games tonight and I'm not sure what happened to Brassard. 

Anyway, he picked up an assist tonight. Here's a video (EDIT: missed that Vintage already posted this):

He now has 6 points (2G 4A) , +6, 42 SOG, in 7 GP.

Had 5 SOG (in just under two periods of play, before the injury).

Hopefully the injury isn't serious.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME