The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matt Brassard | D

Tomato Pajamas

Probably gonna have to wait for tonight’s OHL highlights to get a clear view, but here’s Ryan Biech’s gif of Brassard’s pass (apparently the feed wasn’t cooperating):

Even from the crappy gif, you can see how he basically threaded the needle through 6 players and sent a perfect pass from his own faceoff circle to hit Krastenbergs right on the tape just as he was crossing the opposing blue line. Just a sick pass and the resulting breakaway goal was the game winner.

EDIT: highlights are here (although the clip on the gamewinner is pretty short): http://ontariohockeyleague.com/video/feb-2818-miss-4-osh-5

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Was definitely a nice pass. 

Definitely another play for his reel. He’s had a bunch of them this season. Obviously he’s not on the same level as the top producing offensive Ds in junior, but he’s had his fair share of high value goals and assists that stand up against anything the bigger names have done this year. Like I’ve said before, he’s gonna have one hell of a highlight pack when he’s done this year.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Probably gonna have to wait for tonight’s OHL highlights to get a clear view, but here’s Ryan Biech’s gif of Brassard’s pass (apparently the feed wasn’t cooperating):

Even from the crappy gif, you can see how he basically threaded the needle through 6 players and sent a perfect pass from his own faceoff circle to hit Krastenbergs right on the tape just as he was crossing the opposing blue line. Just a sick pass and the resulting breakaway goal was the game winner.

EDIT: highlights are here (although the clip on the gamewinner is pretty short): http://ontariohockeyleague.com/video/feb-2818-miss-4-osh-5

Man gotta say the CHL (WHL, OHL, QMJHL) have some real underrated broadcast commentators.  Really like how the Oshawa Generals commentator and even the Calgary Hitmen commentators sound.  

but yeah sick feed haha

14 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Man gotta say the CHL (WHL, OHL, QMJHL) have some real underrated broadcast commentators.  Really like how the Oshawa Generals commentator and even the Calgary Hitmen commentators sound.  

but yeah sick feed haha

Yeah, so long as your feed doesn’t start smearing and pixelating, CHL hockey is a pretty great product these days. Same goes for lots of the Euro games and NCAA. I watch a bunch of different leagues when I have time and enjoy the experience each of them provide (at least when I find good feeds).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So 8 games remaining and Brassard needs 6 points to hit 50 on the season.

This season has already been a win in terms of his development, especially for a late pick. But that 50 point mark has some cachet for CHL defensemen so hopefully he makes it.

We’re talking offensive numbers like Jordan Subban in his best junior seasons. But Brassard is half a foot taller and can actually play D.

How long do we hold his rights? Think he will get an ELC and play in Utica next year?

10 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

How long do we hold his rights? Think he will get an ELC and play in Utica next year?

Should be two year draft rights which means through next season. So he could technically play another year of junior before we’d need to make a decision. Although I’m thinking he’ll earn a contract this year. And then either go pro or back to the OHL for an overager year.

EDIT: interestingly he’s only two months older than Lind, just had his birthday a month before the cutoff versus a month after.

• Upvote 2

On 2018-03-01 at 9:18 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So 8 games remaining and Brassard needs 6 points to hit 50 on the season.

This season has already been a win in terms of his development, especially for a late pick. But that 50 point mark has some cachet for CHL defensemen so hopefully he makes it.

We’re talking offensive numbers like Jordan Subban in his best junior seasons. But Brassard is half a foot taller and can actually play D.

I have to admit I have become a stalker to this thread I visit every other day to see what new cool play this kid pulled off he don’t disappoint he is a real treat to watch let’s hope he continues his rise up our prospects ladder.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Although there's not much to go on (can't find much scouting info), steady progression of his stats suggests there, very well, could be something here. 

I've become a believer in our scouting staff's ability to find great potential in the lower rounds and Brassard could continue that trend.

I think he's shown enough to be promoted to the "A".

Edited by komodo0921

On 2018-02-28 at 6:50 PM, The 5th Line said:

It's so incredibly rare to find a defenceman in the 7th round that plays in the NHL at all let alone 200 games or whatever the number is that all those stats guys use.  Once in awhile you see a guy, usually a European find his way on to one of the bottom feeding teams to play a couple handful of games but that's about it.  If this kid ever becomes an NHL regular I will bow to JB 

Well, there are some pretty good defencemen that weren’t even drafted at all:

Steve Duschesne, Dan Boyle, Brian Rafalski, Mark Giordano...

Seems to be playing more of a shutdown role tonight as the Nico Gross pairing seems to be drawing the prime offensive opportunities. Working so far as Oshawa leads Kingston 3-1.

Unfortunately, not helping the “drive for 50” cause but lots of hockey left to play. Hopefully Matt picks up a point (nothing so far).

Also, here are some interesting heat maps and goal locations from Brassard’s season:

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

About as dark horse a prospect you can find.   Who doesn’t pull for a kid like this!

Yeah it'd be pretty funny if guys like him and/or Rathbone end up being key pieces of the puzzle :lol:

Not that we should be counting on them! But stranger things have happened.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Yeah it'd be pretty funny if guys like him and/or Rathbone end up being key pieces of the puzzle :lol:

Not that we should be counting on them! But stranger things have happened.

It would be incredible if either stuck and they both have decent chances. Rathbone was thought of as a potential first rounder but his decision to go back to high school dropped him a lot. But that just shows the character of the kid and valuing family.

Brassard has an amazing chance of making it. He's almost hit the prestigious 50 point mark in the OHL and he's no small guy. Would be above the 50P mark had he had a little more puck luck to start the season. Plays well defensively, not afraid to be physical and makes clean outlet passes. Definitely a guy to get excited about!