The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matt Brassard | D

Tomato Pajamas

On 2018-03-22 at 11:33 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I actually leaned more toward signing Neill and he was IMO an inferior prospect to Brassard. 

First off, scoring Ds in the Q just don’t project nearly as favourably as those from the OHL. You’ll see this going back through old Canucks Army stats pieces where Neill’s PCS/pGPS peaked at around 10% and dropped to 0% (no statistical matches went on to play 200 NHL games) by the time we parted ways with him.

Brassard IIRC is running at around 20% (as far as what the models say his chances are of becoming a 200 game NHL player), for what it’s worth.

Secondly, stats aside, Brassard’s warts don’t concern me as much as Neill’s did. His skating certainly doesn’t bother me quite the same way as Neill’s. Neill really looked at times like he was skating in molasses. I just re-watched some of his video and came away with the same impression (although I suppose confirmation bias could be a factor here). He wasn’t horribly slow but he just looked like he was dragging something. Brassard can have “heavy feet” but he moves fairly well nonetheless and he just has more “glide” to his movements (if that makes sense). He also just buzzes around the zone more while Neill (at least from the game video I’ve watched) always played a bit too static to my eyes. I also know people questioned Neill’s effort at times, especially in his own zone. I really don’t get that same sense from Brassard, who seems very engaged. Both have been accused of making questionable reads at times, although that’s kind of expected from junior aged Ds, the question is how much they can clean up their games. Neill obviously didn’t get to where the Canucks hoped he would. Brassard, we shall see, but I’ve watched him a fair amount this year and feel like he’s progressed well in that area even over just the last couple months. Brassard has also had to do a lot on his own this season, while Neill played alongside some pretty good defensemen.

And even with the criticisms I’ve mentioned on Neill, I still leaned toward signing him (although realistically our contract situation probably prevented it—and whether or not some of the players signed instead of Neill deserved their deals is a question for another day).

Brassard I rate higher than Neill and believe he has a really decent chance to be a good pro. Of course, we’re still talking something like maybe a one in four or five chance he actually pans out, but those are the kinds of odds you bet contracts on.

Good response, but the proof, they say, is in the high test.

1 hour ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Curious where he would go if the draft was redone today, I am really enjoying this pick and hope it’s a gem for us. 

Hard to say, but after a quick perusal of other CHL defensemen in his age group, his performance is actually quite comparable to what some other Ds have managed this season who were picked in around the 3rd round, both in the 2017 draft and also in 2016 (Brassard’s first year of eligibility).

So you could probably say at this point, he’d have been a pretty decent 3rd round pick.

As a 7th, he’s looking like a steal.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Typos
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Sid is you,

Somehow I don’t think you’re user name does your justice. If anyone on the board can Ben counted on to do in depth analysis it’s you. 

One of my favourite posters and a voice of reason. 

Thanks for doong this. 

Cheers mate! Appreciate it. :) 

The username is a reference to an old Ovechkin quote. Ovie was asked (for probably the 100th time that season) to compare himself to Crosby.

His response: “Sid is Sid, me is me.”

Admittedly, the handle is a little long and awkward. But I haven’t changed it because I still like the story behind it, even if it’s a tad unwieldy as a username.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Cheers mate! Appreciate it. :) 

The username is a reference to an old Ovechkin quote. Ovie was asked (for probably the 100th time that season) to compare himself to Crosby.

His response: “Sid is Sid, me is me.”

Admittedly, the handle is a little long and awkward. But I haven’t changed it because I still like the story behind it, even if it’s a tad unwieldy as a username.

I actually never knew about this, interesting.

P.S. - Your avatar doesn't seem to show, or at least not for me - it's a broken link.

7 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Sid is you,

Somehow I don’t think you’re user name does your justice. If anyone on the board can Ben counted on to do in depth analysis it’s you. 

One of my favourite posters and a voice of reason. 

Thanks for doong this. 

I agree. SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME always provides solid information that's written extremely well.

• Thanks 2

So, if we're going to keep him, most likely he gets signed at the end of this season to a tryout contract with Utica and then do a full contract with him that will have a start date of July 1st.

Seems like a pretty good prospect. Especially for where we got him.

50 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I actually never knew about this, interesting.

P.S. - Your avatar doesn't seem to show, or at least not for me - it's a broken link.

Yeah, the avatar I believe is from an old hosted image that’s gone dead. I kind of like the blank thingy that’s been left in its place. Makes me feel like an international man of mystery.

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, the avatar I believe is from an old hosted image that’s gone dead. I kind of like the blank thingy that’s been left in its place. Makes me feel like an international man of mystery.

Haha, if you wanted to use that avatar again, here it is:

https://i.imgur.com/MMC6tm6.jpg

• Thanks 1

Gens trailing 3-1 in tonight’s game. If they lose, they are out.

Wondering if Brassard will get the call to Utica if they’re eliminated?

Almost scored earlier:

And he might be hurt now. :(   

Gens went 5 forwards on PP because he’s apparently not available. Not sure what happened. Hopefully nothing serious.