The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matt Brassard | D

Tomato Pajamas

14 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, me too. But I can definitely see why they’re waiting on the contract now. Really no upside for Vancouver in inking Brassard this year. He won’t be ready for training camp and can’t compete for a Utica spot this season. And while the injury hardly puts him into “damaged goods” territory (yet), there is some risk he doesn’t get a great surgery result and ends up with issues. 

Probably better for everyone to just wait for next year on the contract. Well, not better for Brassard, I suppose, since he’s missing out on a signing bonus and some security. But the injury timeline pretty much guarantees he’s another year away from going pro. He needs to just heal up and get back playing. Hopefully the contract will take care of itself next year based on his 2018-19 results over a half season and (likely) playoffs.

I still have high hopes for Brassard and see him becoming a good AHLer and eventually a bottom pairing NHL defenseman with some power play ability. Of course, that’s assuming his surgery and rehab goes well and he doesn’t have any lasting effects from this injury.

Totally agree there’s no sense giving him a contract now. Hopefully surgery goes smoothly and he’s back to normal sooner than later. Maybe he signs an AHL contract with utica once healthy again.

38 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Colin Miller type upside?  Best case scenario

Damn, surgery?  That sucks

If you throw out the 105MPH slapshot and AHL fastest skater winning type of wheels (because Brassard really doesn’t have those kinds of tools), then yeah, Colin Miller is probably right around the best case scenario upside. As far as an absolute “everything goes right” development path, I could see Brassard becoming a 10G 30A, puckmoving D, RH shot, PPQB, with a good two-way game, and some decent snarl and physicality. 

• Upvote 1

So do we still have 1 more year to sign him before he goes into a re draft or is it this upcoming draft that he will be re entered into?

Can;t hurt us to throw a deal his way, especially how he played this year, yes it is unfortunate about the injury but rather give him a shot to rebound

7 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

So do we still have 1 more year to sign him before he goes into a re draft or is it this upcoming draft that he will be re entered into?

Can;t hurt us to throw a deal his way, especially how he played this year, yes it is unfortunate about the injury but rather give him a shot to rebound

As per CapFriendly........

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canucks/reserve-list

Edited by SingleThorn
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Pretty much.  Canucks want him to sign, he wants to sign.  Only snag really is if Quinn is convinced by others that he should go to Michigan.

Or if he feels he will be a better player long term by waiting a year. 

2 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

He would already be in Michigan.

Then again, assuming you meant Hughes and not Brassard.

^_^

Ha ha. This is why I only post a couple of times a year, I stuck at it. Anyway, good arguments for staying nhl verses college. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

One of my favourite plays of Brassard’s season. Really captures a lot of what he can offer. Silky smooth hands in tight (he actually had one of the OHL’s best shootout percentages) and he’s just a piece of work when it comes to agitating opponents and rubbing it in with the opposition fans.

Hopefully Matt heals up well and comes back to dominate the OHL next season, signs an ELC, and maybe gets a late season/playoffs taste of AHL hockey before starting his pro career in earnest for 2019-20.

Kid’s a beauty. :) 

I'm loving all these dark horse defensemen we've been nabbing in the later rounds over the last few drafts (Rathbone, Brisbois, Gunnarsson, Brassard, Utunen). Some are showing quite a bit of promise! Brassard is a very intriguing prospect. He really came out of his shell last season. Would love to see him get a sniff in the AHL next year.

3 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

@SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

You've been following him closely all year as you do with all of our lesser known prospects. It seems like he's your 3rd favourite behind Rathbone and Jasek :lol:

Thanks again for all the work.

Yeah, of the "lesser knowns," Brassard is right up there for me. Really enjoyed watching him last season. He just kept surprising me with his bag of tricks. He's a lot more talented than I had thought initially. Really good hands. And his vision, offensive creativity, and on ice awareness are better than advertised. He also plays an aggressive game and uses his size well in his own zone. And he really knows how to get under the skin of opponents. Lots to like with this player and he's forced me to rethink his ceiling several times over the last year. Still a long shot, but there's a real chance he could become a player of some significance if he can put everything together.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

From OHLProspects (Brock Otten)

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.com/2018/08/31-teams-in-31-days-vancouver-canucks.html?m=1

3. Matt Brassard - Oshawa Generals
Tale of two seasons for Brassard this year. First 24 games of the year, 0 goals, 8 assists for a ppg average of 0.33. Last 43 games of the year, 16 goals, 27 assists and a 1.00 ppg average. I saw him early on a few times and he looked sluggish, had trouble with turnovers, and really was not very effective at either end. But watching him later in the year, he had returned to the form that he had shown the year prior...and then some. Completely different player. Confident. Poised. This guy can rifle the puck and is one of the most aggressive offensive defenders in the league as he never hesitates when presented with an opening to step in from the point. His 218 shots were 4th among defenders this year. But what caught my eye later in the year was Brassard's ability to skate the puck out of his own end and push the pace deep into the offensive zone. His forward skating stride looked much improved this year. Defensively, he remains a pretty solid player. Not spectacular, but he uses his size effectively at 6'3, 200lbs. Engagement level isn't an issue in traffic. Can get caught up ice or caught out of position at times. And off the rush, sometimes he gets caught flat footed. But there's potential for him to emerge as one of the OHL's best two-way defenders. With him remaining unsigned, it would appear that the Canucks would like to see him repeat his second half performance over an entire year as he returns as an overager to Oshawa. The Generals are going to be a contender for top team in the East and Brassard will be a contender for OA of the year and the Max Kaminsky. I think we'll see him in the 20 goal, 40 assist range next year. That would be enough for him to earn a contract IMO.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...