The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matt Brassard | D

Tomato Pajamas

2 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I really hope he doesn't rush back too soon. Getting re-injured would just set him back even more. Get healthy and come back and start where he left off.

I’d be surprised if he’s back anytime soon. He’s still months away from his scheduled return (based on the December timeline that was released after his surgery). He could be ahead of schedule, but I still think he’s months away versus weeks, and would be really surprised to see him back before at least late October or early November, and that would still be considered an accelerated return (based on original projections). @Rob_Zepp might know something I don’t, but I’ve not heard anything yet to suggest Brassard could be ready as soon at the start of the OHL season (Sept 19 IIRC). The Gens just wrapped up training camp and started preseason. Brassard was used as a coach at camp because he’s still unable to participate. Oshawa has also really built up their D. Of course part of this is because they’re likely going to contend this year and need to be deep, but they look to have added enough Dmen to weather the storm while they wait for their #1 guy to get healthy.

EDIT: the sites like Elite Prospects are slow on the roster updates, but here’s what the Gens’ defense looks like:

The addition of Franche is a huge help. He was a 9th round (OHL) pick in 2015 but was committed to Merrimack. Decommitted earlier this summer and suddenly became available for the Gens. They slotted him in on first pairing with Nico Gross for their preseason opener. Adding Vallati (picked up in a trade a couple weeks ago) also helps replace some of the offense lost from the back end while Brassard is out.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’d be surprised if he’s back anytime soon. He’s still months away from his scheduled return (based on the December timeline that was released after his surgery). He could be ahead of schedule, but I still think he’s months away versus weeks, and would be really surprised to see him back before at least late October or early November, and that would still be considered an accelerated return (based on original projections). @Rob_Zepp might know something I don’t, but I’ve not heard anything yet to suggest Brassard could be ready as soon at the start of the OHL season (Sept 19 IIRC). The Gens just wrapped up training camp and started preseason. Brassard was used as a coach at camp because he’s still unable to participate. Oshawa has also really built up their D. Of course part of this is because they’re likely going to contend this year and need to be deep, but they look to have added enough Dmen to weather the storm while they wait for their #1 guy to get healthy.

EDIT: the sites like Elite Prospects are slow on the roster updates, but here’s what the Gens’ defense looks like:

The addition of Franche is a huge help. He was a 9th round (OHL) pick in 2015 but was committed to Merrimack. Decommitted earlier this summer and suddenly became available for the Gens. They slotted him in on first pairing with Nico Gross for their preseason opener. Adding Vallati (picked up in a trade a couple weeks ago) also helps replace some of the offense lost from the back end while Brassard is out.

All I've heard is that he has been working his buttocks off and hopes to be ready sooner than the first projection.   Rehab has apparently gone very well but I agree with you that until I hear concrete, assuming October is likely optimistic but December may be a tad pessimistic given how well I understand things are going.   Kid seems very driven.   This may be a nice later round gem.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

All I've heard is that he has been working his buttocks off and hopes to be ready sooner than the first projection.   Rehab has apparently gone very well but I agree with you that until I hear concrete, assuming October is likely optimistic but December may be a tad pessimistic given how well I understand things are going.   Kid seems very driven.   This may be a nice later round gem.

If the rehab is going really well, I’d be happy to see him back ahead of schedule. October would be a great result (so long as he’s 100% and hasn’t been rushed).

Oshawa looks really strong this year and Brassard could have quite a productive season with the Gens if he doesn’t miss too much time and actually gets to play a significant portion of the games.

Really excited by the early buzz around their rookies (Tullio and Robinson), who’ve looked really good in camp/preseason. And Antropov (2019 eligible) is looking like he might have a heck of a draft year (had something like 10 points in the camp scrimmages and then 2 goals in his first preseason game). If he keeps that up, he might even end up a first round pick. Nick Wong (2020 eligible) also looks like he could have a big season. Adding Eggerberger should also help them up front. And then they’re getting guys like McShane, Noel, Studnicka, and Commisso back for another year. D looks really solid from top to bottom (and should be close to elite once Brassard comes back). Plus they’re in good shape in net with Keyser and Ceci (and I think their 3rd string guy is even pretty decent). 

Deep team all around and there are rumours already that they intend to chase after some big trade acquisitions ahead of the deadline and try to go all in this year.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/15/2018 at 1:41 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Some great news on Brassard’s rehab.

Timeline for his return is now slated for mid-October.

Originally was projected for sometime in December. So he’s two months ahead of his post-op schedule and should now only miss the first 6-10 games of the season.

I had feared at first for Matt, that starting halfway into the season in December would really put him behind the 8 ball.  Overager season, and 6-7 months before the Canucks make a decision to either sign him or walk away from him this June.  For a young 20 year old, that can induce a lot of stress and pressure, glad that his timeline is more optimistic.

20 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I had feared at first for Matt, that starting halfway into the season in December would really put him behind the 8 ball.  Overager season, and 6-7 months before the Canucks make a decision to either sign him or walk away from him this June.  For a young 20 year old, that can induce a lot of stress and pressure, glad that his timeline is more optimistic.

Yeah, the OHL season is basically halfway done by Christmas, so a December return would have meant missing 30ish games, which would be tough to come back from. Missing 6-10 games early isn’t a huge deal. Especially since Brassard has remained around the team (was actually used as a coach during training camp), and is part of the returning veteran core, so he should be able to step in easily (once healthy) and not struggle too much with adjusting to systems or personnel. But 30 games in, the Gens likely would be rolling with a comfortable setup on D pairings and PP units, so it would be tougher to slot into that group, especially if Oshawa was playing well without Brassard. As it stands, I expect his return to be fairly seamless, and he should step in as their #1 and PPQB and have an immediate effect on the team.

On 9/15/2018 at 2:41 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Some great news on Brassard’s rehab.

Timeline for his return is now slated for mid-October.

Originally was projected for sometime in December. So he’s two months ahead of his post-op schedule and should now only miss the first 6-10 games of the season.

Glad the rumour I heard late August from someone who SHOULD know said Octoberish but you never know.   That is why I posted it as "unsure" but optimistic.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like our boy picked up right where he left off. Brassard finishes with 1G, 1A, 2 points, +3, 4 SOG.

He was on the ice for 5 of the 7 Generals goals-for (3 at evens and 2 on the PP) and zero goals against in Oshawa's 7-5 victory.

EDIT: looking forward to tonight's highlights. Brassard's goal sounds like it was a rocket:

EDIT: Brassard also named 3rd star tonight.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AK_19 said:

Is there a reason he wasn't given an ELC contract so he can play on our AHL team?

His injury probably spooked management. It was once reported he wasn't going to be good to go until December... but he's obviously made a quick recovery.

I think it's good to let defensemen overripen. I suspect Brassard will be signed to an entry deal before May 2019. He's a good enough prospect to bring to Utica next year.

1 hour ago, AK_19 said:

Is there a reason he wasn't given an ELC contract so he can play on our AHL team?

His injury was supposed to go on another couple months and then I doubt they wanted to bring him into a tougher league unprepared.

Much like Dahlen its worth him playing in a lesser league, building confidence and strength so his transition to the pros is smoother.

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, he’s quite likely going to end up playing at around 6’3” (maybe even 6’4” if he’s actually still growing) and somewhere between 215-225 lbs. Nice size for a Dman with his type of upside. 

Skating remains the issue that will probably determine his overall ceiling as a professional. But he did make some strides last season in that area, and hopefully as he rounds into form after his long injury layoff, he’ll continue to improve. I think he also has some room to improve if he were to devote a future summer to working with an individual skating coach.

In any case, he already has a very exciting skill set. Has the size and nastiness to play a heavy, aggressive game in his own zone and brings the agitation game that makes opponents hate him. Really good at puck recoveries. Crisp and quick with his outlets. Accurate on “long bomb” breakaway passes. Always willing to join the rush but also knows when to delay a bit through the neutral zone and then drift in late to exploit openings in the opposition formation (he’s really good at finding open space and then sneaking into the slot unmarked for shot). A true quarterback inside the offensive zone. Strong playmaking and passing ability. Good accurate shot and he’s a volume shooter. Gets pucks through from the point and creates rebound chances. Active in the zone. Adept at both the pointman and “rover” roles. Good at walking the line, finding lanes, and adjusting his shot. Finds gaps to move down low into scoring positions. And he has some really good hands in tight.

Brassard could prove to be a really effective 5v5 partner for one of our top LHD prospects (Hughes, Juolevi, Rathbone, etc) and potentially even an option to QB one of our future PP units.

He's already scored in tonights game.

• Like 1