The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matt Brassard | D

Tomato Pajamas

27 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Why is this guy not being reported on more by the press. He looks like a high end prospect to me with NHL potential. He is proving that last year was no fluke. He has taken his game to another level. Canucks need to sign this kid!

Please for the love of God, stay healthy!! Haha

• Haha 1

This is his fourth year in the CHL, that's why there's not more hype around him.  

Glad to see him doing well, he'll be in tough to get a spot in the AHL next year but I hope he keeps on improving.  

On 11/19/2018 at 10:57 AM, kenhodgejr said:

Why is this guy not being reported on more by the press. He looks like a high end prospect to me with NHL potential. He is proving that last year was no fluke. He has taken his game to another level. Canucks need to sign this kid!

Probably cause he is 20 in Junior. 

Speaking of which, any reason he isn't with Utica? He is older than Lind but is in Junior still. Does he need to have 4 years of Junior before he can graduate to Pro? It was my understanding that it was 4 years of Junior OR turning 20 before a certain date before he can go pro. Seems like 20 in August would be old enough to graduate to pro, I could be wrong though.

6 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Probably cause he is 20 in Junior. 

Speaking of which, any reason he isn't with Utica? He is older than Lind but is in Junior still. Does he need to have 4 years of Junior before he can graduate to Pro? It was my understanding that it was 4 years of Junior OR turning 20 before a certain date before he can go pro. Seems like 20 in August would be old enough to graduate to pro, I could be wrong though.

Brassard was eligible to play in the AHL this year. I believe the main reason he stayed in Junior was because of his off-season shoulder surgery  that put him back quite a bit. He could not participate at the Young Stars Tournament or attend training camp because of the injury. There were some projections that he would not be ready until well into the season.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Rick Blight said:

Brassard was eligible to play in the AHL this year. I believe the main reason he stayed in Junior was because of his off-season shoulder surgery  that put him back quite a bit. He could not participate at the Young Stars Tournament or attend training camp because of the injury. There were some projections that he would not be ready until well into the season.

Ah yeah, forgot about that. Nice to see he is recovering pretty nicely based on his production.

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Brassard with 1 assist, +1, 2 SOG, and 4 PIM tonight.

Now at 16 points (6G 10A) in 24 games.

Production has definitely slowed, glad to see him getting on the board again. Hopefully he can keep it going! Had high hopes for him this year...fighting for a contract.

1 hour ago, cyoung said:

Production has definitely slowed, glad to see him getting on the board again. Hopefully he can keep it going! Had high hopes for him this year...fighting for a contract.

Yeah, I still think he might’ve tweaked something that game a while back when he went down and came up clutching his arm. Didn’t really miss much time, but since then, his shot volume is way down, and he hasn’t scored as much. So maybe he’s was playing a bit hurt and, if it was his arm that was banged up, that could easily affect his offence. Also, they have Vallati who can step right in on PP1, and a much deeper overall D group this year. Gross has been on first pairing and Brassard has played 2nd pairing (at least the past while). And he’s switched between 1PP and 2PP, while last year he’d practically play the full 2 minutes on the man advantage.

On 11/18/2018 at 6:27 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Love the little skate over to the opposition bench and vocal celebration after the goal. Ref and a Gens teammate are even trying to hold him back as Matty skates right over to the Niagara bench and gives the Icedogs players an earful as he rubs his GWG in their noses. This was a chippy game, with 18 penalties called and 14 power plays, so clearly Matt was fired up and wanted to give it to the Icedogs. But honestly, Brassard also just likes to be a s*** disturber, regardless of the game story. Couldn’t find a nicer guy with off the ice, and he’s loved by his teammates, but he sure isn’t popular with opponents. Seems like he never passes up an opportunity to rub a little salt in the wounds.

You sound like an adult content author the way you described the play :bigblush:

Not that I would know what adult books are like -_- 

35 minutes ago, Vanuckles said:

You sound like an adult content author the way you described the play :bigblush:

Not that I would know what adult books are like -_- 

Yeah, hockey descriptions often veer towards unintended ribaldry. 

It wasn’t intentional, but I’m definitely guilty of playing with language at times to make a hockey play sound like something a little bit dirty.

And then there was the Rathbone thread where it got derailed for a few pages of talking about “Rathboners” and “D’s” and “back ends” (and I have to admit I was one of the most guilty culprits in that debacle).

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

And then there was the Rathbone thread where it got derailed for a few pages of talking about “Rathboners” and “D’s” and “back ends” (and I have to admit I was one of the most guilty culprits in that debacle).

Those were good times, not to be overlooked in favour of the kid’s solid freshman season. 

23 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, hockey descriptions often veer towards unintended ribaldry

It wasn’t intentional, but I’m definitely guilty of playing with language at times to make a hockey play sound like something a little bit dirty.

Holy 100 dollar word! Damn thanks for teaching me that one!

The Rathbone thread was pure gold. My god what a name. That kid was destined for greatness from the get-go. He's on the rise ;)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1