Sign in to follow this  
Tomato Pajamas

Matt Brassard | D

2 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Here’s the goal:

Man, this guy has a talent for getting his shot through... not that we would need anyone with that particular talent.

^^^^So strange that it was 'announced' ( leaked ? ) so long ago. The rules stipulate that it could not be done before this, but it must have been hard on these two players, knowing that they were heading out of town !

On 1/4/2019 at 9:32 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

And here’s the goal:

Before the WJHC I heard a lot about the forthcoming "Bouche bombs".....

Well the bombs fizzled (sorry Edmonton) but Brassard is looking like a keeper as we can see from his "Brass bombs"

I'm not certain that Brasssard will be offered an ELC. Seems to be in a somewhat similar situation as Neill and Candella. With the 50 man limit, tough choices have to be made. I expected CN and CC to be offered AHL deals, but it appears that that did not happen. ( .....may have been turned down ! ) I don't think that GMs like to go over 47/ 48 signed players.

I think they will be fine as far as the 50 man limit as they are currently at 45 and will lose both the Dorsett and Laplante contracts at the end of the season and perhaps Gagner's as well if he is moved or bought out. The only new contracts on the horizon that are not replacement contracts, would be Hughes, Brassard and probably the 1st round pick from the upcoming draft plus any free agent signings they might do. I don't know if they will sign Woo this summer or wait till next spring to do that but that still leaves them in good shape contract wise.

• Hydration 1

3 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I think they will be fine as far as the 50 man limit as they are currently at 45 and will lose both the Dorsett and Laplante contracts at the end of the season and perhaps Gagner's as well if he is moved or bought out. The only new contracts on the horizon that are not replacement contracts, would be Hughes, Brassard and probably the 1st round pick from the upcoming draft plus any free agent signings they might do. I don't know if they will sign Woo this summer or wait till next spring to do that but that still leaves them in good shape contract wise.

Schaller, Granlund, Del Zotto, Pouliot, Dorsett, Laplante, Pyatt, Gaunce, Kero, Boucher could all be gone by next season.

9 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Schaller, Granlund, Del Zotto, Pouliot, Dorsett, Laplante, Pyatt, Gaunce, Kero, Boucher could all be gone by next season.

I very much agree but did not include a lot of them as they would have to be replaced by a replacement player coming in on a new or (in the case of a trade) existing contract. The ones that do not need a replacement are the only ones that affect the  total # of contracts.

5 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I very much agree but did not include a lot of them as they would have to be replaced by a replacement player coming in on a new or (in the case of a trade) existing contract. The ones that do not need a replacement are the only ones that affect the  total # of contracts.

Well schaller, zotto could be traded for picks. The others could just be left to walk away and replaced from within or AHL contracts.

12 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

Well schaller, zotto could be traded for picks. The others could just be left to walk away and replaced from within or AHL contracts.

I hope they are moved but it will not really have a negative effect on the contract limit. As it stands right now we are closer to the low end of the contract limit in the 32 team spectrum with Arizona maxed out and Tampa just one shy of the limit. Should be ample room to sign Brassard, Hughes, Woo, the 1st round pick and a couple of free agents if they so choose.

11 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I hope they are moved but it will not really have a negative effect on the contract limit. As it stands right now we are closer to the low end of the contract limit in the 32 team spectrum with Arizona maxed out and Tampa just one shy of the limit. Should be ample room to sign Brassard, Hughes, Woo, the 1st round pick and a couple of free agents if they so choose.

Not going to go into armchair gm mode to argue all the various names being thrown around. It's really not as easy as some like to make it out to be.

I don't believe that gms like to go over 47 signings. Being open to an additional contract is of huge value. Once an ELC is signed, it usually lasts for 3 years. We have been stuck with too many dead weight contracts ( Blomstrand/ Subban/ Cederholm/ Stewart/ Laplante/ Carcone ). It's not just next season, it's the next 3 seasons. GMing just isn't as simple as many think it is.

AHL contracts will be a big part of our future prospect development ! I believe Brassard might have to opt for the AHL option.

Edited by SingleThorn
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

AHL contracts will be a big part of our future prospect development ! I believe Brassard might have to opt for the AHL option.

I tend to agree with that assumption and with Brassard's case it will come down to how the Canucks view him. Is he just going to be a good player in the AHL or do they see enough in his overall game that they think he has a decent chance to be a solid NHL defense man. They obviously did not see enough from Carl Neill, Tate Olson, Brett McKenzie or Cole Candella in their overall packages to warrant signing them.

On a positive note; now that the Canucks actually have some decent prospect depth, they can be a lot more picky about who they choose to sign or not.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Could Utica sign him if an ELC is a concern?

Some one more knowledgeable than me can give a more definitive answer but I think the Comets could sign him to an AHL Standard player contract (SPC) and it would not count towards the Canucks 50 contract limit.

Edited by Kootenay Gold
  • Upvote 1

Don’t forget that you want to have room to sign the top college players because those are free assets that wont take four years of development.  

We need to have a few more open spots

No points for Brassard in first game after trade to Niagara. He was used on the second pairing and as PPQB, shifted between PP1 and PP2. Finished -2 and with only 1 SOG. Niagara lost 6-5 in OT.

On 1/9/2019 at 4:24 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Could Utica sign him if an ELC is a concern?

He could sign a PTO with Utica after his Niagara season is over, assuming Utica would still be playing. He could sign an AHL contract with Utica for next season if the Canucks chose to not exercise their rights to sign him.However, you need to keep in mind that Brassard would be a UFA if the Canucks do not sign him to an ELC and would be free to sign anywhere he wants.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1