The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matt Brassard | D

Tomato Pajamas

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

Don't know what JB has in mind for Brassard, but the Eliot signing makes me think that his chance of an ELC is less than 50/ 50 !

Yeah, the Eliot signing is really interesting.  I would agree with you except, Brassard has put up slightly better numbers than him.  I dunno, he has put up better numbers than Jordan Subban did in his third year in the O, so the likelihood of him becoming a decent AHLer can't be that far off. 

31 minutes ago, Dungass said:

Yeah, the Eliot signing is really interesting.  I would agree with you except, Brassard has put up slightly better numbers than him.  I dunno, he has put up better numbers than Jordan Subban did in his third year in the O, so the likelihood of him becoming a decent AHLer can't be that far off. 

Yes, really have no idea where the truth lies. I totally expected Carl Neill to be signed. Neill may end up with better stats over Brassard or Subban. Believe his skating nixed a signing. Don't know where Brassard falls in the good/ bad skating question. His offence, like Neill and Subban's is very good.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

Yes, really have no idea where the truth lies. I totally expected Carl Neill to be signed. Neill may end up with better stats over Brassard or Subban. Believe his skating nixed a signing. Don't know where Brassard falls in the good/ bad skating question. His offence, like Neill and Subban's is very good.

Maybe Sid can chime in here, but I believe that has been a major knock on Brassard, that he’s quite slow.

10 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Goal, 2 assists, 5 SOG, and named 2nd star in Sunday’s game.

Now 51 points (11G 40A) in 56 games.

24 points in 21 games, since the trade to Niagara. And 5 points this weekend. 

Really starting to find his groove and Niagara is just ripping apart the ohl now. He's gotta be loving life right now haha.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Really starting to find his groove and Niagara is just ripping apart the ohl now. He's gotta be loving life right now haha.

The trade was a great fit for him. Oshawa has such a deep D this year. So much so that Brassard actually saw his minutes and opportunity scaled back, compared to last season. This at a time in his junior career where, as an overager, he’d probably expected to see a ton of minutes and really pad his stats as he fights for a pro contract. Niagara, on the other hand, doesn’t have the same strength on their defence, especially when it comes to guys who can put up numbers. They have a potent forward group, but adding a point per game defenceman was something they needed. So really worked out. Oshawa got a healthy return, and they haven’t lost a step since moving Brassard and Studnicka, and are right there with Niagara in the standings.

• Upvote 2

We dont have the depth to NOT sign this guy imo. I mean, D are a premium at the NHL, this guy likely needs seasoning the the AHL, but nothing wrong with that. Might as well give him a chance to see what he can do at the next level, instead of giving up on him then drafting a similar guy this summer to wait and see what he does 2-3years from now....

4 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

We dont have the depth to NOT sign this guy imo. I mean, D are a premium at the NHL, this guy likely needs seasoning the the AHL, but nothing wrong with that. Might as well give him a chance to see what he can do at the next level, instead of giving up on him then drafting a similar guy this summer to wait and see what he does 2-3years from now....

Yeah I keep thinking what's up that they don't sign this kid and all I can think of is they want or need a couple of spots left open for an NCAA signing and they will sign Brassard after 30th June ???? or.  if they can't get a NCA guy they possible have their eye on will sign Brassard then. Maybe they have an "understanding" in place with him and his agent

Edited by Fred65