The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matt Brassard | D

Tomato Pajamas

Since the page turned, and this thread doesn’t see a tonne of activity, I’m just gonna repost the goal from tonight so that people dropping by won’t miss it:

Plus it’s so pretty it deserves to be posted twice. :) 

Man, I’m looking forward to whenever one of our video savvy posters makes a highlight pack at the end of the season. Brassard has had some really nice goals.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Canadian Clay said:

Brassard is a very good prospect considering he’s a 7th rounder. Should definitely offer him an elc and put him in Utica when we can

D8FF95A2-DD79-4C98-9DA9-43AC6FFA6A95.jpeg

Nice to see an updated pGPS. 19% would be good for a 2nd rounder, never mind a 7th! 

I’d like to see him signed this year but I’d also be fine with him going back for another OHL year. Either route could benefit him IMO.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Nice to see an updated pGPS. 19% would be good for a 2nd rounder, never mind a 7th! 

I’d like to see him signed this year but I’d also be fine with him going back for another OHL year. Either route could benefit him IMO.

2017 could be the Canucks best draft of all time if things keep going the way they’re going. I think Lind is around a 43% pGPS. And EP is pretty much a for sure nhler. If Lind, EP, and one of gadjovich, dipietro, Palmu, rathbone, or brassard turn into nhlers we’d be looking pretty good. 

6 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

How is Oshawa looking for this year and next?

3 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

2017 could be the Canucks best draft of all time if things keep going the way they’re going. I think Lind is around a 43% pGPS. And EP is pretty much a for sure nhler. If Lind, EP, and one of gadjovich, dipietro, Palmu, rathbone, or brassard turn into nhlers we’d be looking pretty good. 

Some quotes on the 2017 draft about them incorporating analytics into their drafting approach from a province article. Makes me really excited about the 2018 draft.

Has their little analytics heart grown three sizes right before our eyes? Is there now a bigger role in this organization for data?

“I think we’ve been incorporating that this past season as well as parts of the season before,” Linden said. “I think we’re relying on Jonathan Wall and Aiden Fox more to run data and see what pops out. Then we can talk about those players. Some aren’t fits, some are.

“It’s a piece of the puzzle. It’s a tool. Maybe a guy pops up and a scout will say, ‘you know I’ve always liked him’ and the (data) can be a piece that supports it. Or maybe a guy has great data and a scout will say ‘he’s not for me.’”

14 minutes ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

How is Oshawa looking for this year and next?

They’ve got a solid group of young players, with high ranking 2018 eligibles like McShane, Noel, Gross, and some even younger guys like Wong and Antropov looking like they could be top prospects in future drafts. I think they probably have too many 98 borns currently and will need to address that issue to stay within the OA rules (although pro graduation may solve that problem for them). Right now, they’re looking like a playoff team but not expected to make it very deep this year. Next year, depending on development and turnover, they may be able to make some noise.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, R.Dahlin26 said:

Some quotes on the 2017 draft about them incorporating analytics into their drafting approach from a province article. Makes me really excited about the 2018 draft.

Has their little analytics heart grown three sizes right before our eyes? Is there now a bigger role in this organization for data?

“I think we’ve been incorporating that this past season as well as parts of the season before,” Linden said. “I think we’re relying on Jonathan Wall and Aiden Fox more to run data and see what pops out. Then we can talk about those players. Some aren’t fits, some are.

“It’s a piece of the puzzle. It’s a tool. Maybe a guy pops up and a scout will say, ‘you know I’ve always liked him’ and the (data) can be a piece that supports it. Or maybe a guy has great data and a scout will say ‘he’s not for me.’”

They have for many years, it's nothing new, and they admit it is NOT the major factor in determining players' value but a supplemental tool.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

They have for many years, it's nothing new, and they admit it is NOT the major factor in determining players' value but a supplemental tool.

Seems like they're leaning towards it more and have only recently started to experiment with it more. Of course, it's not the be all end all but it is a potential game-changer in terms of end result especially at the top of the draft.

Also, hopefully no more trying to find role 4th liners and physical bottom pairing d-men with our late round picks.

And we get more Brassards and Palmus with them.

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Not a major shift in direction. More of a tweak. They have admitted that their recent later round picks have been more directed by what’s “popped” on the analytics end than in previous years. The Palmu and Brassard picks in particular.

They’ve also used analytics to identify value in reentry picks, which old school scouting methods tend to undervalue (biases tend to hang around guys that are passed over in their first eligibility years, while analytics can sometimes help to quantify “late bloomer” value).

• Upvote 1

Probably worth sharing Ryan Biech’s take on any possible issues that might hold Brassard back as a pro:

Personally, I don’t think his skating is really all that bad. And he looks to be improving. I would agree that there are some technical issues, and the “heavy feet” thing is probably fair (especially earlier into his OHL career), but functionally Brassard gets around the ice just fine. Looks to me like a guy who could smooth out the rough edges with some time with a skating coach.

As far as “defensive lapses” go, this has been an area I’ve mentioned as having room for improvement. But like Biech, I haven’t seen anything glaring. Just some bad reads at times and has been made to look bad on a few plays in his own zone by really good players. Again, it’s not something that worries me. It isn’t something I haven’t seen from many young Ds. And Brassard, being a late bloomer and having limited opportunities early on, still has some development time left to work out the finer details of his defensive game. 

It is, however, one of the reasons why I wouldn’t be opposed to sending him back for one more year in the OHL.

On the other hand, and especially given the trajectory he’s on with his offensive production (30 points in last 28 games), I’d also be happy seeing him go AHL and then letting our pro staff get a chance to work with him and fine tune those elements.

EDIT: another “room for improvement” area would be his physical play. He can be very dominant and play the “rugged” role in his own zone. Also has the ability to throw some big hits. But he doesn’t do it often or consistently enough right now for his physical game to be really truly considered a strength (yet). With his size, if he can add that piece, it opens up a higher range to his overall ceiling, in terms of just how effective he might become. That’s another area where one more year playing against “boys” might help him, before making the jump to the “men’s” game as a pro.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Probably worth sharing Ryan Biech’s take on any possible issues that might hold Brassard back as a pro:

Personally, I don’t think his skating is really all that bad. And he looks to be improving. I would agree that there are some technical issues, and the “heavy feet” thing is probably fair (especially earlier into his OHL career), but functionally Brassard gets around the ice just fine. Looks to me like a guy who could smooth out the rough edges with some time with a skating coach.

As far as “defensive lapses” go, this has been an area I’ve mentioned as having room for improvement. But like Biech, I haven’t seen anything glaring. Just some bad reads at times and has been made to look bad on a few plays in his own zone by really good players. Again, it’s not something that worries me. It isn’t something I haven’t seen from many young Ds. And Brassard, being a late bloomer and having limited opportunities early on, still has some development time left to work out the finer details of his defensive game. 

It is, however, one of the reasons why I wouldn’t be opposed to sending him back for one more year in the OHL.

On the other hand, and especially given the trajectory he’s on with his offensive production (30 points in last 28 games), I’d also be happy seeing him go AHL and then letting our pro staff get a chance to work with him and fine tune those elements.

EDIT: another “room for improvement” area would be his physical play. He can be very dominant and play the “rugged” role in his own zone. Also has the ability to throw some big hits. But he doesn’t do it often or consistently enough right now for his physical game to be really truly considered a strength (yet). With his size, if he can add that piece, it opens up a higher range to his overall ceiling, in terms of just how effective he might become. That’s another area where one more year playing against “boys” might help him, before making the jump to the “men’s” game as a pro.

You always have great posts and was wondering what you think about the awesome dilemma of the influx of players we may have next year and how that will affect how we go about with the vets. an easy solution is to offer the Twins and Vaneck pto,s lol But seriously What happens if we hedge our bets and sign the vets only to have the rookies beat them hands down what happens then

As of now A betting man could say Petterson Gaudette , the underrated Dahlen OJ maybe just maybe Groot ya never know Lind Gadonavich Demko. I've no problem Buying Gagner's contract as with canningdowds the rest. Sure we could send down the rooks, but that goes against the mantra of GMJB unless they need it Are the Canucks so unclassy they would force the twins and maybe Vaneck out the door, or after resigning them everything out Bonus one hell of A utica team Especially if we leave Demko to bond with the kids.

I for one see it another way. I'm no Apollo (god bless him) But I do think we are so much closer then most naysayers think, who have drunk the easten medias kool-aid. I think i

I think if we land Dahlin that pretty much finishes the hard part of the rebuild. Top line centre, or at least A 1A b scenario (think Boston) a top goalie, Demko on that list of 50 should have been lower. the AHL is A better league then the KHL With most of those player riding buses still holding on to that dream sorry khl is very overrated that. If we get Dalinen A BVovquist good chance we will have either A Hedman /E.K clone or Just another E.K.Hopefully, We have Brock as our stud winger, with not to mention if we get Zadina or Sheneknicov. Another sure-fire winger prospect. Not to mention Our formidable Centre depth. Bo Gaudette Hank Sutter Not many teams cant boast that mix. Especially when Bo is gotta be on one of the best contracts s in the NHL I still shake my head when German boy gets almost nine million. That's, why I cant, understands the wanting to fire Benning. He has set the bar for expiring entry-level deal, And you can bet that guys like Brock and Adam look at what he did last year by signing Brock to the final 9 games. Allowing him to get A paycheque and help his extremely his unlucky family. Now it looks as though the same will be done with Adam. If this keeps up I think we are gonna be college players first choice. Very smart. To summarize. A lot will happen more will more happen until October. What A precarious situation All I know by halfway through the season I hope at least 6 of our guys under 25 bare tops on the team in scoring 

Forgot about Granny. No matter the hate he gets he can play every single role Burrows without the dirty play and much further developed art his age I really hop if rookies are pushing spots it's A guy like Gaunce or even Sutter who I like. Granny has imo another level he started to show until his role change. still on pace for 18  not bad for A tweener 3rd fourth line who can play all 12cforward positions well! As for the D, Dhalin would be team changing, as may Bovqist or possibly Bouchard or A few other.s

A D core of Tanev Edler? Groot Dhalin/Bovquist/Hughes/ OJ Pouliot and Stecher Are A pretty well-balanced D Either way Quit being so down Nuck fans WE have cap room only one Meh contract The best prospect pool beside TB and in only 3 years other Fans and instead of being so pessimistic how about A little optimism. Just think how excited you get when Brock or Bo do their things.

Thanks for the Avs and Devils. Young doesn't need as much development as before just based on the talent they constantly face. Obviously like any post, this is full of what ifs.At least it gives an optimistic look into next year. Now if we finish above 7th, where history shows the drop is huge would you guy be alright if JB decided to fleece maybe the Kanes or other right young teams on young stud D like werenski small add on our part. Or A scenario where we trade down to say Philly switch picks and nab maybe ghost or proverov not Sanheim He is not worth a top10 pick in this draft plus we still get At least one pick in the 1st. Philly who if they are not careful they may not qualify. ha karma defy odds and move to grab what looks like the next injury prone what should have been

Sorry for the long blog. Blame it on the Godbud/slash grapefruit haah thisw crap took me like 2 hours to write kept getting sidetracked and hungry peace my fellow knuckleheads let us hope Next5 season is the beginning of the next dynasty CHEERS GCG

Edited by bp79

9 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Can he play in Utica next year? Not like they couldn't use the help. 

On 2/8/2018 at 6:27 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

Can he play in Utica next year? Not like they couldn't use the help. 

Yeah, he'll be 20 by then so he can. Could give the Comets a decent collection of young d-men. Brisebois, Chatfield, Brassard. Juolevi could be there as well. McEneny's getting a little older but he'll be back and healthy again next season. Maybe another college UFA. Nothing earth-shattering, but promising.

Cue the comeback?

Gens were down 3-0 to the Petes but Brassard with a primary assist on the power play to help get Oshawa on the board.

Midway through the game so lots of time left.

Now 3-2. Brassard doesn’t draw any points on the second goal.

And Matt adds another PP assist to help Oshawa draw even. 3-3 game and 2 points so far for Brassard.

That makes 40 points on the season!  

Now 4-3 Gens! No points for Brassard on the fourth goal.

4 power play goals for Oshawa in the second period. Brassard on the ice for all four and draws points on two of them.

And just to keep things interesting, Oshawa scores a goal at evens and with Brassard on the bench. 5-3 Gens.

Petes got a late one in the 2nd and Gens open the third with a 5th power play goal. Brassard has been on the ice for all five PP goals, but still just the 2 points. 6-4 Gens.

This is just a crazy game. Gens are 5/5 on the power play. Petes just scored to go 3/3 on the man advantage. Now 6-5.

Game ends 7-5. Petes took a bunch of penalties near the end (including a two hander to chop Brassard’s stick in half on a 5-3 PP), so probably they’ll finish 5/8 or something on the PP.

Brassard finishes with the 2 PP assists and on the ice for each of the 5 PP goals. 4 SOG and several move attempts.

• Upvote 3

No Twitter highlights but here’s the link to the full game highlights:

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/video/feb-1118-pbo-5-osh-7

Brassard’s assists are on the 3-1 and 3-3 goals.

The first one is a primary assist where Matt delays a bit and draws a PKer high which creates some space and then he passes to McShane for the one timer.

The second one, Brassard makes a cheeky behind the back pass to Studnicka for the one timer, and then Noel pots on the rebound.

Both are full value assists and nice examples of what Brassard brings working up top as the lone D on Oshawa’s four forward set on the PP.

EDIT: he probably had a couple “third assists” as well and was moving the puck really well tonight

• Upvote 1