The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matt Brassard | D

Tomato Pajamas

Seems to have good size and he's a righty, no complaints here. Looking at his stats, looks like he might have some physicality or a mean streak in his game, 172 pm in 50 games in 14-15 and 94 pm in 90 games in the OHL. What's this kids play style like? 

10 minutes ago, Derp... said:

It's a good pick. The guys shot volume is top class in the OHL.

http://prospect-stats.com/OHL/2016/player/7162/

His primary 5v5 points per game was better than Juolevi, Dineen, Stanley, Cernak

Goals per game in all situations was also very good compared to guys from this years draft and last years draft too.

Wow if you can have a win with a 7th round pick that sounds like an amazing draft choice.

Potential #1 center (Pettersson), sniper (Lind), power forward (Gadjovich), starting goalie (Dipietro... no 15 year contracts please J.B.) Stecher-like PMD (Rathbone), decent(?) shutdown guy (Gunnarsson), smallish but skilled play-making and scoring winger who's played with Gadjovich (Palmu) and a physical, productive right-side D in Brassard?  J.B. is having himself some kind of draft day. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Remember Tate Olson people - temper your expectations and you won't be disappointed. 

Foe sure. As with any late round pick. These guys are basically like buying a lottery ticket with an added degree of educated guesing.

I definitely like the build of Brassard though. Not a bad player to throw a late pick at.

Profile courtesy of Brock Otten's top-10 OHL draft re-entries:

6. Matt Brassard - Defense - Oshawa Generals
Brassard is a really interesting prospect eligible for this draft. Played sparingly for Barrie last year, but exploded with more ice time this year. Also changed teams at midseason, finishing the year with Oshawa. He's got a lot of things going for him. First is size and aggressiveness at 6'2, 200lbs. Second is overall mobility, which is pretty decent. Third is a big point shot. Brassard finished 5th in the OHL among shots by defenseman with 203. I suppose my question is...what type of player is he at the next level? Being pretty much a first year player (after playing only 28 games with Barrie in 2015/16), Brassard is still pretty raw. He's still learning as a defensive player, and I'm not sure he's a natural offensive blueliner (in terms of vision and playmaking ability). But he's shown enough this year to warrant a selection in the mid/late rounds in hopes that his game continues to round into form.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 3

12 Goals is nothing to sniff at for a D man in the OHL, that's top 200 all time for u19 players. Especially when you consider he had over 200 shots on net.

I like this pick more than Candella at the time. Can't argue with shot generation from the blue line as a projectable skill