The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate the draft!

Lui's Knob

Hard to say. 

I don't know very much about anyone taken after Dipietro but the first 3 rounds are an A to me.

After that we have some interesting and apparently well thought out picks so I will keep my ranking all the way through. The trade to get an extra late pick was a good move to me.

I'm more interested in where the Canucks rank organizationally now in terms of prospects. It seems like we have 10 prospects with a very good shot of making the league, and others with an outside chance. If the cupboards aren't stocked, they're getting there

They did really well considering how steeply this draft fell off after the first three rounds. Getting Dipietro was a nice bonus, I didn't expect him to be available. 

The big physical Swede in the later round was a little odd due to his age, but this draft is kind of worth taking a few weird picks in the late rounds.

Solid A- draft. Which is about as good as you could hope given the talent pool.

Stoked for Pettersson though. The sky is the limit for that kid if he can bulk up.

B+ based solely off the fact that I think we could have traded down a spot or two and picked up another asset. However I do recognize that if we were to trade down and not get our target than the trade would be for nothing. 

We needed some potential high end skill and scoring, I think we accomplished that.  In what was considered a weak draft, we got 3 or 4 players who are likely to be NHLers.  

I am very happy with how we did.  I am also glad that we didn't trade Tanev at the draft....I think he will have much more value at next years deadline or draft.  Expansion and the slight increase in cap have created a buyers market for defenseman, which is not the norm.  I would hold out for a 1st, 2nd in 2018 and an almost ready prospect for Tanev.  If not, we keep him.

Archived