The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate the draft!

Lui's Knob

2 hours ago, BCNate said:

I think you could argue that Glass would have gone 5 if someone else were picking there.  Based on the way things played out, I don't think that Pettersson would have made it past the Rangers at 7 though.  If you agree with that, Benning only have LV and NY to trade with to get his guy.  Based on a few of his quotes and interviews, I really believe that Benning would have taken Pettersson at 3 if that is where we picked.

Some people said that he would have taken Makar at 3.

Solid B that could rise if scoring.   Thought Vegas and St Louis did very well (As) and Penguins get a D-. 

Ironic that finally after emerging from a decade of smurfville issues that Oilers take smallest player in NHL draft history.   

7 minutes ago, suomistyler said:

Actually none of the draftees from 2014 have played close to the 200+ games used to judge if a draftee has become an NHL regular. Virtanen and Mccann both regressed last year and are not guaranteed successes with either organization. Lockwood, Brisbios and Gaudette haven't even played a single game of professional hockey on any level. Calling the 2014 draft 'unreal" is still relying on a large dose of predictive assumption of a best case scenario. Only time will tell the real story and there is still a chance that all of the draftees end up being busts....i hope that's not the case, but the chance is a real one.

Using the term "potential" as an argument of drafting success is ridiculous as this represents all players drafted. If they weren't perceived as having the potential of becoming an NHLer, they wouldn't be drafted in the first place. Potential is a subjective thing within the eye of the beholder. But at the end of the day, it means nothing in understanding the longterm success of a draftee becoming a regular NHLer.

Yes, none have passed 200 games, but IMO 4 will and the only reason Trymakin won't is if he chooses to stay in Russia vs play in the NHL. It's not about ability with him. 

I see Virt as at least a 3/4 line winger.  Demko is solid and McCann should also make it. That isn't unreasonable and it shows JB has an ability to find talent in the later rounds. It was also tongue and cheek to your dose of reality/Debbie downer post...  

We are fans of a franchise in flux, I chose to see the positive upside of prospects.  They will have plenty of time to let me down later. 

21 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I don't mind this pick, he could make Utica next season and be a solid call-up the season after that. Pure depth but you also need that, and better to spend it using a 6th rounder imo. 

Bolstering Utica's defensive depth can be done through free agent signings, which is why I wasn't a fan of this pick. 

That said, when all you're complaining about is a 6th round selection, you're getting pretty pedantic. 

4 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Bolstering Utica's defensive depth can be done through free agent signings, which is why I wasn't a fan of this pick. 

That said, when all you're complaining about is a 6th round selection, you're getting pretty pedantic. 

who were you hoping for at that pick?

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

who were you hoping for at that pick?

I don't know enough about the players that late in the draft to specifically point to one player that I think will be better, but my philosophy in the late rounds is that you take guys with a high ceiling/low floor and hope things work for the best. Those 'depth' type guys can be acquired in so many other ways so shoot for the stars in the later rounds. 

11 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Yes, none have passed 200 games, but IMO 4 will and the only reason Trymakin won't is if he chooses to stay in Russia vs play in the NHL. It's not about ability with him. 

I see Virt as at least a 3/4 line winger.  Demko is solid and McCann should also make it. That isn't unreasonable and it shows JB has an ability to find talent in the later rounds. It was also tongue and cheek to your dose of reality/Debbie downer post...  

We are fans of a franchise in flux, I chose to see the positive upside of prospects.  They will have plenty of time to let me down later. 

I hope you're right, and i respect your choice to take the hopeful rose coloured glasses lens view to JBs drafting history in Van. I've learned over the last 35 years to wait and see the proof in the pudding, so to speak....

"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions."

Leonardo da Vinci

Overall I think they did pretty well, I like all of the picks, even Pettersson, although more risk, we'll see how he pans out compared to Glass in a couple years.

I really wish JB could have found a way to trade with TO for Lilgegren. He would have been boss with Juolevi as top pairing.

but lets face it, Vegas was Boss in who they drafted. Vegas won this by a mile.

4 minutes ago, Rocksterh8 said:

Overall I think they did pretty well, I like all of the picks, even Pettersson, although more risk, we'll see how he pans out compared to Glass in a couple years.

I really wish JB could have found a way to trade with TO for Lilgegren. He would have been boss with Juolevi as top pairing.

but lets face it, Vegas was Boss in who they drafted. Vegas won this by a mile.

Who knows, they're still looking for a shutdown dman; maybe JB will be more motivated to make a deal now.

3 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

B, only because some of the smaller guys worry me. 

First three picks are solid. 

A pity we didn't get a late first or another second rounder. I still would have liked Foote and Rasmussen. I think Detroit and Tampa made some good moves there. 

I think Detroit made a mistake taking Rasmussen over Vilardi but I guess we will see.

I give it a c+ for 4 reasons.

- JB had a Peterssonn jersey on his lap when trying to drop down a spot which caused Mcphee to back out. Say what u want but this caused us a round 2nd round pick.

- The 5'8" dman we have in Subban doesn't get a sniff but yet they draft a 5'6 d-man. Makes no sense.

- Rattcliffe was sitting there at 33 and they passed on him.

- They took 3 re-entry draft guys, one on his third draft... Y not pick young up and coming players? 

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Solid B that could rise if scoring.   Thought Vegas and St Louis did very well (As) and Penguins get a D-. 

Ironic that finally after emerging from a decade of smurfville issues that Oilers take smallest player in NHL draft history.   

I'm assuming you are being sarcastic because he is definitely not the case.

Johnny hockey was listed at 5'6 and 145ish pounds. 

http://thehockeywriters.com/size-doesnt-matter-johnny-gaudreaus-impact-on-the-2015-nhl-draft/

Also back in the day, Nathan Gerbe was and still is listed at 5'5. 

There are definitely a few more. 

1 minute ago, RRypien37 said:

I'm assuming you are being sarcastic because he is definitely not the case.

Johnny hockey was generously listed at 5'7 and 145ish pounds. 

Matin St Louis was short too.  If a shorter guy is stocky and wants to compete, he can have success. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Matin St Louis was short too.  If a shorter guy is stocky and wants to compete, he can have success. 

Yeah but St.Louis is built like a tank. At 5'7-5'8 he played close to 200 pounds and had legs like tree trunks so not the best comparison. 

2 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Yeah but St.Louis is built like a tank. At 5'7-5'8 he played close to 200 pounds and had legs like tree trunks so not the best comparison. 

He was lighter when coming into the league though.  (Was he drafted?). I bet he weighed 170-180 at 18.  I think the little guy we got today could be a player, if he has the compete.  Loved St Louis.  

1 hour ago, suomistyler said:

I hope you're right, and i respect your choice to take the hopeful rose coloured glasses lens view to JBs drafting history in Van. I've learned over the last 35 years to wait and see the proof in the pudding, so to speak....

"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions."

Leonardo da Vinci

Ohh, ya think so, huh? LDV?? So what have you ever accomplished besides walkin around this town, mumbling to yerself?!

~some dumb 15th C Italian

Archived