The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Speculation - Canuck Prospects in 2018 World Junior Championship

Rob_Zepp

I think Lockwood has a good shot if his shoulder holds up. Lind and Gadjovich need to up their games this year if they want a shot though IMO. Not sure what Canadian goalies look like this year so uncertain about DiPietro. Pettersson will make it for sure.

At the end of the day I think we see 3 Canucks: Lockwood, Pettersson, and one of the Canadians. 

Canada

Lind - 50/50 for a bottom 6 role.

Dipeitro - 75/25 chance of being back up to Hart.

Gadjovich - unlikely.

Candella - not a chance.

Brassard - Not a chance.

Sweden

Pettersson - competing with Anderson for 1C.

Finland 

Joulevi - best player on the team. 

USA

Lockwood - Small chance. Needs a good first half of 2017-18 season.

Rathbone - I honestly have no idea.

And those are the only Canucks young enough.

Some more info:

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/three-canucks-prospects-heading-to-team-canada-world-junior-development-camp-1.21045154

Lockwood is on the US development camp roster with a very outside shot imo. 

On the other hand OJ and Pettersson should be 'locks' to not only make their respective squads,  but play key roles in the tournament for their teams.

2 hours ago, Bandwagon38 said:

It is pretty exciting looking at our growing number of prospects and realizing how many could be showcased this Christmas in my favourite tourney of the year!  After a decade of 1 of 2 prospects cracking WJC lineups it may be safe to say that this year we have 3-4 prominent members of their respective teams.  Just curious who you think makes their teams and where they play on them?

Dahlen and Petterssen  top 6

Juolevi       top pair

DePeitro     2 or 3

Lind           Top 6

Gadjovich    Bottom 6

Are Gaudette, Goldobin or Boeser eligible?

Gaudette,Goldobin, Boser noteligible

2 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

Canada

Lind - 50/50 for a bottom 6 role.

Dipeitro - 75/25 chance of being back up to Hart.

Gadjovich - unlikely.

Candella - not a chance.

Brassard - Not a chance.

Sweden

Pettersson - competing with Anderson for 1C.

Finland 

Joulevi - best player on the team. 

USA

Lockwood - Small chance. Needs a good first half of 2017-18 season.

Rathbone - I honestly have no idea.

And those are the only Canucks young enough.

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Some more info:

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/three-canucks-prospects-heading-to-team-canada-world-junior-development-camp-1.21045154

Lockwood is on the US development camp roster with a very outside shot imo. 

On the other hand OJ and Pettersson should be 'locks' to not only make their respective squads,  but play key roles in the tournament for their teams.

The title of the OP is misleading but the above posts are pretty much on target. Three Canucks prospects are invited to Canada WJC Summer Camp out of 42 invitees in total. I believe that the final roster will have 22 players, so at least 20 guys at the Summer Camp will not make the team. None of the Canuck invitees are locks, but I think DiPietro is quite likely, Lind has a decent chance, and Gadjovich is a longshot.  Realistically, we might hope for two spots.

Pettersson and Juolevi are obviously in for Sweden and Finland respectively.

Lockwood has an outside chance to make the US team. He was invited to the U.S. summer camp but cannot play because he is still recovering from shoulder surgery (although he is close and should be fine by September). Rathbone was not invited to the U.S. summer camp and therefore has very little chance of making the U.S. team.

My best guess is four Canuck prospects in the WJC: Pettersson, Juolevi, DiPietro, and one of Lind, Gadjovich or Lockwood.  That would still be a very good showing -- about the best I can remember, at least in the recent past, and all the players would be on contending teams.

Player eligibility

A player is eligible to play in the World Junior Ice Hockey Championships if:[10]

• the player is of the male sex;
  • the player has his 20th birthday in the year of the tournament's ending (i.e. born in 1994 for 2014 tournament), and at latest, the fifth year after the tournament's ending (i.e. born in 1999 for 2014 tournament);
  • the player is a citizen in the country he represents;
  • the player is under the jurisdiction of a national association that is a member of the IIHF.

6 hours ago, JamesB said:

The title of the OP is misleading but the above posts are pretty much on target. Three Canucks prospects are invited to Canada WJC Summer Camp out of 42 invitees in total. I believe that the final roster will have 22 players, so at least 20 guys at the Summer Camp will not make the team. None of the Canuck invitees are locks, but I think DiPietro is quite likely, Lind has a decent chance, and Gadjovich is a longshot.  Realistically, we might hope for two spots.

Pettersson and Juolevi are obviously in for Sweden and Finland respectively.

Lockwood has an outside chance to make the US team. He was invited to the U.S. summer camp but cannot play because he is still recovering from shoulder surgery (although he is close and should be fine by September). Rathbone was not invited to the U.S. summer camp and therefore has very little chance of making the U.S. team.

My best guess is four Canuck prospects in the WJC: Pettersson, Juolevi, DiPietro, and one of Lind, Gadjovich or Lockwood.  That would still be a very good showing -- about the best I can remember, at least in the recent past, and all the players would be on contending teams.

Unless your an elite elite player if you don't play for the US development team they tend to turn a shoulder to you for the players on that team. 

10 hours ago, Bandwagon38 said:

It is pretty exciting looking at our growing number of prospects and realizing how many could be showcased this Christmas in my favourite tourney of the year!  After a decade of 1 of 2 prospects cracking WJC lineups it may be safe to say that this year we have 3-4 prominent members of their respective teams.  Just curious who you think makes their teams and where they play on them?

Dahlen and Petterssen  top 6

Juolevi       top pair

DePeitro     2 or 3

Lind           Top 6

Gadjovich    Bottom 6

Are Gaudette, Goldobin or Boeser eligible?

This is a duplicate thread.....

1 hour ago, Raymond Luxury Yacht said:

For sure we will have one prospect playing, probably 3, possibly 4.  Juolevi for sure.  Pettersson most likely.  Lind or DiPietro maybe.  But hey, it's still a ways away, things could change.

I wouldn't say "Juolevi for sure" as Canucks may not loan him if he is doing well at NHL level.  

Archived