The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pettersson vs Glass in 2017-2018

Derp...

There seems to be some confusion circling around these boards about SHL vs. Allsvenskan and the playing against men debate.

Jumping from Allsvenskan to the SHL isn't a huge step physically like CHL to NHL/AHL would be.

Elias has already played against 30 year old vets for an entire season as a skinny 17 year old and posted very impressive numbers while doing it. He has already shown that he can win board battles etc. against vets. The difference really between the leagues, is the skill level and the speed of the game. Not how fast they skate, but players in the SHL typically think the game faster than players in Allsvenskan, resulting in a generally faster moving game (similar to NHL vs. AHL). The decision to play in the SHL is, what I believe, the perfect next step in his development. He has improved all aspects of his game this past season and in order for that development to continue on the same trajectory, the competition needs to be beefed up a bit.  I honestly don't think he will experience an adjustment period like suggested here. The players he will be playing against will be tougher competition, sure, but his teammates will also be better. In all honesty, bottom half of the SHL and the top half of Allsvenskan, if you compare the teams, there isn't that big of a difference skill wise. Växjö is a very good team and a very good place for him to take these next few steps in his development (has become a place where players in Sweden want to play, they'll attract more talent before the season starts). He will be surrounded by some very talented offensive players and playing for a team that is a lock to make it into the post-season. Great fans, great management group, and I wouldn't be surprised if the coach has him playing pretty significant minutes from the get go. Since I believe that this is the case, I'm expecting to see quite a bit of production from him this upcoming season, for sure. He's good enough to produce in the SHL from day 1. 

0.5ppg in the SHL > 2 ppg in the WHL. 

1 hour ago, Diamonds said:

Virtanen was not the consensus #6. Talk about rewriting history...

There were some rankings that had him at 6, and he was not a reach, but he was actually consensus #13 (see: http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-nhl-draft-prospect-consensus-rankings/ which granted includes Craig Button's ranking at #40 which if removed becomes closer to consensus #10).

I do agree that he was a low risk pick though. Definitely considered to have a higher floor than Ehlers and Nylander (and even Ritchie if I recall).

Edit: Should probably add that I like taking the higher risk option in Pettersson. The Canucks have played it safe in a lot of drafts, it's time to attempt the home run.

That page was as of January prior to the draft.  This is much more representative of the consensus rankings just prior to the draft:  http://www.mynhldraft.com/2014-NHL-Mock-Draft/.  The decision was really between Ritchie and Virtanen with Nylander and Ehlers being viewed as the next best guys behind them.  Not surprisingly the actual draft matched this top 10 almost perfectly except for Fleury being taken by Carolina and Ritchie dropping a couple of spot.

• 8 months later...

Watched both Lind and Glass played live this season, Honestly, both of those guys look very even in terms of their play, hockey sense and skating. To get Lind at #33 is like a steal. Good on JB for taking the chance with a potential elite talent in Pettersson and also able to basically to get a Glass type of player in Lind in the 2nd round. 

12 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Watched both Lind and Glass played live this season, Honestly, both of those guys look very even in terms of their play, hockey sense and skating. To get Lind at #33 is like a steal. Good on JB for taking the chance with a potential elite talent in Pettersson and also able to basically to get a Glass type of player in Lind in the 2nd round. 

I think Lind has a faster thought process than Glass as well....I believe we got 2 top 10 picks in last years draft and Gadjovic could be as good as most of the late 1st round picks as well.

One more top 6 pick and a good D. at #2 (36th overall or better) ...Keven Bahl is my man...and we are set for years....

On 2017-06-28 at 12:34 PM, DeltaSwede said:

There seems to be some confusion circling around these boards about SHL vs. Allsvenskan and the playing against men debate.

Jumping from Allsvenskan to the SHL isn't a huge step physically like CHL to NHL/AHL would be.

Elias has already played against 30 year old vets for an entire season as a skinny 17 year old and posted very impressive numbers while doing it. He has already shown that he can win board battles etc. against vets. The difference really between the leagues, is the skill level and the speed of the game. Not how fast they skate, but players in the SHL typically think the game faster than players in Allsvenskan, resulting in a generally faster moving game (similar to NHL vs. AHL). The decision to play in the SHL is, what I believe, the perfect next step in his development. He has improved all aspects of his game this past season and in order for that development to continue on the same trajectory, the competition needs to be beefed up a bit.  I honestly don't think he will experience an adjustment period like suggested here. The players he will be playing against will be tougher competition, sure, but his teammates will also be better. In all honesty, bottom half of the SHL and the top half of Allsvenskan, if you compare the teams, there isn't that big of a difference skill wise. Växjö is a very good team and a very good place for him to take these next few steps in his development (has become a place where players in Sweden want to play, they'll attract more talent before the season starts). He will be surrounded by some very talented offensive players and playing for a team that is a lock to make it into the post-season. Great fans, great management group, and I wouldn't be surprised if the coach has him playing pretty significant minutes from the get go. Since I believe that this is the case, I'm expecting to see quite a bit of production from him this upcoming season, for sure. He's good enough to produce in the SHL from day 1. 

0.5ppg in the SHL > 2 ppg in the WHL. 

Great post in retrospect. 

That was a great call. This year definitely didn't end up the way I thought it would for Glass and Pettersson, but we have seen some other guys produce very well in major junior this year.

Vilardi is up around 1.85 P/GP

Necas is .71 in the Czech league

Glass is 1.55
Mittelstadt is only .71 in College which I don't think anyone anticipated. Goes to show you how good Brock's rookie season was.

Lias Andersson .64 P/PG in the SHL and .67 in the AHL in the same year.

This gives you an idea of how Petterssons scoring could translate to the AHL. 
1.2 points per game in the AHL would be tied for the league lead. (Players over 10 games played)

18 hours ago, Derp... said:

That was a great call. This year definitely didn't end up the way I thought it would for Glass and Pettersson, but we have seen some other guys produce very well in major junior this year.

Glass is 1.55
Mittelstadt is only .71 in College which I don't think anyone anticipated. Goes to show you how good Brock's rookie season was.

1.2 points per game in the AHL would be tied for the league lead. (Players over 10 games played)

What EP has done in his D+1 season is heads and shoulders above any other none NHL playing prospects in his draft year. 

Vlardi is having a great season after recovering from injury, but the CHL is a far lesser league than the SEL and EP has had a better year than HOF’r and superstar Peter Forsberg. EP could be the best Swede to play in Vancouver and has a chance to be the best Swede to play in the NHL. 

That last statement is highly optimistic, not saying he will reach that level, but the take away from

gis D+1 year puts him on that track. 

1 hour ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

That last statement is highly optimistic, not saying he will reach that level, but the take away from

gis D+1 year puts him on that track. 

Considering that Nylander put up 32 in 37 in his D+1 then 45 in 38 in his D+2 (while playing on a very strong team), Elias with PPG+ isn't at all unlikely.

Remarkable achievement for the youngster!

I like that quote their coach..

"We have not taught Elias (Pettersson) anything about the game of hockey, he is teaching us",

Växjö Lakers head coach Sam Hallam after tonight's 4-point performance and scoring record

Pettersson and the kid Canucks need a top tier dman now to work with.

• 5 weeks later...
On 2018-03-07 at 4:59 PM, Derp... said:

Glass is 1.55

So Mittlestad is 0.71 ppg and is the best prospect Hockey News?  

Do the writers over at THN even know what a game of hockey looks like?  

12 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

So Mittlestad is 0.71 ppg and is the best prospect Hockey News?  

Do the writers over at THN even know what a game of hockey looks like?  

He lead the WJC in points, I believe, and was a +8.

And he is big, much bigger than EP, which makes him a 'safer' bet to excel at the NHL.

Plus now he has had a few NHL games under his belt.... got a few points.

49 minutes ago, Hugor Hill said:

And he is big, much bigger than EP, which makes him a 'safer' bet to excel at the NHL.

So THN only watches one tourney a year and based on that one off, they can write an article

that is isn’t printed until 3 months later and claim it is relevant?  

Shoddy journalism and this is the best rag on hockey?  Don’t care what method they used, it was wrong and lazy. 

Their editor should have sent the reporters back into the field and scraped the article until it was accurate. 

Or change the title to WJC post wrap printed 3 months late. 

1 hour ago, Hugor Hill said:

Cool. EP broke a 42 year old record in one of the best leagues in the world.

Anybody worth their weight in $&!# should see how that trumps CM's strong world junior tournament and lackluster college season.

Archived