The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pettersson vs Glass in 2017-2018

Derp...

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎06 at 10:07 AM, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

I think Lind has a faster thought process than Glass as well....I believe we got 2 top 10 picks in last years draft and Gadjovic could be as good as most of the late 1st round picks as well.

One more top 6 pick and a good D. at #2 (36th overall or better) ...Keven Bahl is my man...and we are set for years....

Lottery balls don't mean much the following year. Edmonton has had a few top end prospects barely make it. I am a little scared we win this year, I'd rather pick 3rd or 4th and have a solid draft ,than pick #1 overall and it not working out.

2 hours ago, cory40 said:

Lottery balls don't mean much the following year. Edmonton has had a few top end prospects barely make it. I am a little scared we win this year, I'd rather pick 3rd or 4th and have a solid draft ,than pick #1 overall and it not working out.

Dahlin is a can't miss, real deal kind of player that can step right in just like MacVoy did for the Bruins this year...except Dahlin has way more offensive upside....

EP and Dahlin had great chemistry together at the World Jrs.' ....if we can we draft Dahlin ...no questions asked...no trading down...no trading for Karlsson even.. we take Dahin...!....!

3 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Dahlin is a can't miss, real deal kind of player that can step right in just like MacVoy did for the Bruins this year...except Dahlin has way more offensive upside....

EP and Dahlin had great chemistry together at the World Jrs.' ....if we can we draft Dahlin ...no questions asked...no trading down...no trading for Karlsson even.. we take Dahin...!....!

I agree I am just setting myself up for reality.

On 2018-03-07 at 7:35 AM, nergish said:

Great post in retrospect. 

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future" - Nils Bohr hahha :)

If anything and like everyone else, Elias has smashed my expectations right out of the park. Twice over. Hopefully Växjö cap it all off by bringing home the championship as well, would be awesome for Elias sake. Already got another boost by Timrå qualifying for the SHL next year thanks to his best friend Johnte Dahlen.  

On 2018-03-07 at 9:43 PM, Boudrias said:

Wow what a call. Delta Swede hasn't been posting as much and I always read his posts with interest. 

Thanks buddy, im blushing! 

Still active, just not posting as much. 

2 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future" - Nils Bohr hahha :)

If anything and like everyone else, Elias has smashed my expectations right out of the park. Twice over. Hopefully Växjö cap it all off by bringing home the championship as well, would be awesome for Elias sake. Already got another boost by Timrå qualifying for the SHL next year thanks to his best friend Johnte Dahlen.  

Thanks buddy, im blushing! 

Still active, just not posting as much. 

Any predictions on how he'll translate to the NA game next season?

Considering how on-the-mark you were with your previous prediction, I trust your opinion a lot more than the so-called "experts" out there.

2 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Any predictions on how he'll translate to the NA game next season?

Considering how on-the-mark you were with your previous prediction, I trust your opinion a lot more than the so-called "experts" out there.

And here I was trying to avoid making any more predictions to keep that impression going! :)

I have so much confidence in Elias that it wouldn't be fair to myself if I didn't say that I expect him to do very well when he comes over. I expect him to make the team in the fall and have a very productive rookie year. 

I think there may be an adjustment period in regards to having less time and space in the offensive zone but he's too good/smart to not figure it out quickly and make adjustments to his game.  

His hockey IQ, maturity, and his work ethic will carry him through his rookie year despite of any deficiencies he may have in his game. Size for me is a non factor in this case because said things.

The things I worry about are variables outside of Elias like deployment, linemates, injuries, team morale, and what have you.

The kid has got the stuff.  Bring home the Calder. 

59 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

I have so much confidence in Elias that it wouldn't be fair to myself if I didn't say that I expect him to do very well when he comes over. I expect him to make the team in the fall and have a very productive rookie year. 

I think there may be an adjustment period in regards to having less time and space in the offensive zone but he's too good/smart to not figure it out quickly and make adjustments to his game.  

His hockey IQ, maturity, and his work ethic will carry him through his rookie year despite of any deficiencies he may have in his game. Size for me is a non factor in this case because said things.

I'm not concerned with deficiencies in his game.  He's going to be anywhere from a very good player to a spectacular player for us. Comments made for the same reasons as you outlined.

I'm not sure I agree that he will play for our team right away though. He needs to adapt to quite a bit, from the different ice size, different market, and different level of intensity and talent from the opposition.  While I do believe he will be able to overcome all of it, that's a fair amount against him.  Second to all that, he IS still very slight for his height, and unless he gains a lot of muscle I don't know if it would be wise to subject him to the punishment he would receive at the NHL level right away.  Finally, I think that just like Boeser, management will want to ease him in as to not have him falter and destroy his confidence.  (I also agree with this approach).

So in the end, he may very well play for us next season but it wouldn't surprise me to see him burn a year in Utica to get up to speed.

On 2018-04-10 at 4:43 PM, kloubek said:

I'm not concerned with deficiencies in his game.  He's going to be anywhere from a very good player to a spectacular player for us. Comments made for the same reasons as you outlined.

I'm not sure I agree that he will play for our team right away though. He needs to adapt to quite a bit, from the different ice size, different market, and different level of intensity and talent from the opposition.  While I do believe he will be able to overcome all of it, that's a fair amount against him.  Second to all that, he IS still very slight for his height, and unless he gains a lot of muscle I don't know if it would be wise to subject him to the punishment he would receive at the NHL level right away.  Finally, I think that just like Boeser, management will want to ease him in as to not have him falter and destroy his confidence.  (I also agree with this approach).

So in the end, he may very well play for us next season but it wouldn't surprise me to see him burn a year in Utica to get up to speed.

I don’t think size will be an issue for Pettersson. It will be fitness, adjusting to the pace of the NHL season and the size of the NHL rinks. 

He will never gain the size that many think he needs to be effective in the NHL. It’s not his game.  

What I do believe that Green is a smart enough coach to shelter a player like EP and recognize his long term potential is what is most valuable.  

Sheltered minutes and a coach that has a reasonable grasp of what a young player has to do to become a NHLer for the long term. Expectations may not be met, but EP will be on the team next year. 

EmW

5 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

I don’t think size will be an issue for Pettersson. It will be fitness, adjusting to the pace of the NHL season and the size of the NHL rinks. 

He will never gain the size that many think he needs to be effective in the NHL. It’s not his game.  

What I do believe that Green is a smart enough coach to shelter a player like EP and recognize his long term potential is what is most valuable.  

Sheltered minutes and a coach that has a reasonable grasp of what a young player has to do to become a NHLer for the long term. Expectations may not be met, but EP will be on the team next year. 

EmW

I agree that size probably won't be an issue in the long run, but I do think he needs to add some strength.  The fact is though that if a player is smart and slippery enough to avoid as much contact as possible (especially on the boards) then it often is not an issue.  Heck, look at that tiny Gadreau guy.  Difference there is that he's also SUPER shifty and a really fast skater, so I think that contributes to his ability not to get hit. 

If Green feels Pettersson is ready for the bigs, then I have no problem with trying him out.  His talent speaks for itself, and I'd say it is probably *more* likely that he will blow us away (a la Boeser) than it would be for him not to be ready when called upon.

Green always says in the NHL you don't get a lot of practice time because of the travel schedule.
That would be the main reason I would want our younger prospects to spend a year in Utica.
Practise time and strength training time. 

Pettersson would likely dominate the AHL, but would also get a lot of good coaching on how to succeed on the small ice from Cull and the coaching staff. Having him down there would actually give us depth in the top 6 too.

I'm all for delaying his contract start a bit though. If we can get him on an ELC that starts in 2019-2020. We could actually have the Cap space to have a mini run between 2020 and 2023. I want to see him in the NHL, but I want a best case scenario for us to try and win a cup more.

If he's still on an ELC 4 years from now, here's a spitball lineup example with Age and AAV:

Goldobin (26 4M) Horvat (27 6M) Boeser (25 7.5M) = 17.5M
Dahlen (24 5M) Pettersson (23 1.25M) Virtanen (25 4M) = 10.25M
Leipsic (27 3.25M) Gaudette (25 5M) Lind (23 2.5M) = 10.75
Gadjovich (23 2M) MacEwen (25 2M) Jasek (24 2M) = 6 M

FWD = 44.5M

Dahlin (22 8M) UFA (6M) = 14M
Juolevi(23 6M) Tryamkin! (27 5M) = 11M
Brisebois (24 3.5M) Stecher (28 3.5M)  = 7M

D = 32M

Demko (26 7M)
Markstrom (34 2.5M)

G = 9.5M

Total = 86M
Projected Cap = 86-90M

Adding Pettersson in at 8M+ the next year would make it tough to have the same depth. You are hoping then that other players come in on ELC's to make back the cap space from your bottom 6. 

4 minutes ago, Derp... said:

Pettersson would likely dominate the AHL, but would also get a lot of good coaching on how to succeed on the small ice from Cull and the coaching staff. Having him down there would actually give us depth in the top 6 too.

Elias would be teaching Cull about the game of hockey, just like he will soon be teaching Green.

1 minute ago, Hutton Wink said:

Elias would be teaching Cull about the game of hockey, just like he will soon be teaching Green.

I mean ya, offensively Pettersson is probably the smartest guy already, but in terms of how NHL players attack and defend I'm sure he has some things to learn. Not to metion getting a feel for teammates play style and positioning.

On April 13, 2018 at 2:03 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Future will be very good in 2-3 years, just keep drafting and being patient and develop... Most prospect ever at least 14 right now.... Playoffs for sure.

Years ago we would trade the good prospects at 21 for veterans...

Derlago, Vive, Neely, just terrible manager but ownership could of had influence..

Barry Peterson 27 for Neely 21 and team was not ready for playoff run...

Archived