The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pettersson vs Glass in 2017-2018

Derp...

42 minutes ago, khay said:

I agree that EP and Rantanen both have good wrist shot and one timer but that's where the similarities end in my opinion.

Kane isn't known for his shot because other stuff that he does are world class. Kane has a pretty good wrist shot I think. Kane has 50 playoff goals in his career. But yeah, he doesn't have as good a slapper as EP.

EP has dangles. Kane has dangles. Rantanen doesn't really have dangles.

EP's on ice vision seems to be as good as Kane. Does Rantanen have that elite hockey vision? Not bad but meh.

I don't know. It seems like EP is more like Kane with slap shot rather than Rantanen.

:wub:

1 hour ago, khay said:

I agree that EP and Rantanen both have good wrist shot and one timer but that's where the similarities end in my opinion.

Kane isn't known for his shot because other stuff that he does are world class. Kane has a pretty good wrist shot I think. Kane has 50 playoff goals in his career. But yeah, he doesn't have as good a slapper as EP.

EP has dangles. Kane has dangles. Rantanen doesn't really have dangles.

EP's on ice vision seems to be as good as Kane. Does Rantanen have that elite hockey vision? Not bad but meh.

I don't know. It seems like EP is more like Kane with slap shot rather than Rantanen.

I have to disagree. Kane is small and can dangle in tight. He’s closer to a Gaudreau. He’s not known for his shot at all. Sure he can score but it’s usually because he deked everyone out. 

Pettersson can dangle but so can Rantanen. Rantanen is tall and lanky and and uses his reach to get players going side to side. Just like pettersson does. If you watched back in WJc Rantanen looks just like pettersson. Sure maybe pettersson has a bit more creativity but skating, puck handling, shot, size is all the same. I think you’re undervaluing Rantanen. If pettersson puts up 84 points in his second season I would be estatic. 

24 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I have to disagree. Kane is small and can dangle in tight. He’s closer to a Gaudreau. He’s not known for his shot at all. Sure he can score but it’s usually because he deked everyone out. 

Pettersson can dangle but so can Rantanen. Rantanen is tall and lanky and and uses his reach to get players going side to side. Just like pettersson does. If you watched back in WJc Rantanen looks just like pettersson. Sure maybe pettersson has a bit more creativity but skating, puck handling, shot, size is all the same. I think you’re undervaluing Rantanen. If pettersson puts up 84 points in his second season I would be estatic. 

Nowhere in my post did I undervalue Rantanen. I think Rantanen is great. The only thing I might be guilty of is that I overhyped Pettersson because I think he has skillset that overlaps quite a bit with Patty Kane and I think if he stays as winger, one day he may put up 100 points.

And Rantanen is lanky? I had to look up lanky in the dictionary to make sure. Lanky: ungracefully thin and tall.

Rantanen is 6'4 and 211 pounds (https://www.nhl.com/player/mikko-rantanen-8478420). I don't think that's lanky at all.

Pettersson is lanky yes.

1 hour ago, khay said:

Nowhere in my post did I undervalue Rantanen. I think Rantanen is great. The only thing I might be guilty of is that I overhyped Pettersson because I think he has skillset that overlaps quite a bit with Patty Kane and I think if he stays as winger, one day he may put up 100 points.

And Rantanen is lanky? I had to look up lanky in the dictionary to make sure. Lanky: ungracefully thin and tall.

Rantanen is 6'4 and 211 pounds (https://www.nhl.com/player/mikko-rantanen-8478420). I don't think that's lanky at all.

Pettersson is lanky yes.

I don’t see the kane skillset at all.  Kane is an in tight dangler (like Guaudrea), he is able to be that way because he’s small, low to the ground and has a short stick to do so.  Yes he’s extremely creative but he’s skillset isn’t anything like what Pettersson does.  Datzyuk is also a creative player and he could dangle but he also isn’t anything like Kane in terms of skill set either.  Pettersson’s money maker is his shot, both his wrister and his one timer. 

Weight doesn’t define lanky, the frame of the body does.  Rantanen is 6’4, so being 211 isn’t even that heavy.  Chara is 260lbs and he’s also considered lanky

Can you tell me that this doesn’t look at all like Pettersson?

13 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I don’t see the kane skillset at all.  Kane is an in tight dangler (like Guaudrea), he is able to be that way because he’s small, low to the ground and has a short stick to do so.  Yes he’s extremely creative but he’s skillset isn’t anything like what Pettersson does.  Datzyuk is also a creative player and he could dangle but he also isn’t anything like Kane in terms of skill set either.  Pettersson’s money maker is his shot, both his wrister and his one timer. 

Weight doesn’t define lanky, the frame of the body does.  Rantanen is 6’4, so being 211 isn’t even that heavy.  Chara is 260lbs and he’s also considered lanky

Yes. This video does shows some similarities in style. 

Rantanen looks like a different player in this video compared to the games I've seen him play for the Avs. 

4 hours ago, khay said:

Yes. This video does shows some similarities in style. 

Rantanen looks like a different player in this video compared to the games I've seen him play for the Avs. 

Elias would have finished off that play at 2:20 :P 

Rantanen is a lot bigger than EP, not sure they are going to be similar. Can't see EP reaching 210-215 lbs. 

On 4/24/2018 at 7:37 AM, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I don't agree with the Kane comments either. I think the main similarity between EP and Ratanen is how they skate. Both have really wide stances. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ELias Petterson's name should be taken off this thread. Glass will never be in the same league as EP. ALL this thread proves is CDC has no voice at the draft table. And we can be very thank-full.

• 2 months later...
On 6/25/2017 at 9:49 AM, Fanuck said:

Lind only had 7 less points than Glass while only playing 1 more game.   While their respective teams will have different trajectories in the WHL next season  (Portland is presumed to be one of the top teams in the league ) this comparison is going to be more fun to follow imo. Apples to apples with head-to-head match ups during the season. 

Reading through this thread this stands out so much to me. Glass had a great year but I don't think people are even really following because of how exceptional Pettersson was.

That being said Kole Lind played in 6 less games than Glass and scored only 7 less points, and actually averaged a better PPG than Glass (1.64 vs 1.59). Lind also averaged 2 PPG in the playoffs while Glass averaged about 1 PPG. I believed they played on similarly talented teams as well.

16 hours ago, Grape said:

Reading through this thread this stands out so much to me. Glass had a great year but I don't think people are even really following because of how exceptional Pettersson was.

That being said Kole Lind played in 6 less games than Glass and scored only 7 less points, and actually averaged a better PPG than Glass (1.64 vs 1.59). Lind also averaged 2 PPG in the playoffs while Glass averaged about 1 PPG. I believed they played on similarly talented teams as well.

Others can confirm, but I believe that Glass had better linemates as Dube was first line in Kelowna.

Dang, forgot about this thread. Looks like Pettersson wasted no time putting to rest the Glass v Pettersson debate as far as draft +1 years go. Lol. Glass I think shouldn't be overlooked though, just cause his year wasn't nearly as historic as Pettersson's was. Glass was one of the center pieces of a proposed Karlsson deal and Vegas said no dice. Centers are at a premium right now in the league and Glass is still a really legit prospect. He has played more center in his career than Pettersson has, keep that in mind too.

Pettersson > Glass but I still think Glass is gonna be a pretty great NHLer. We just got the better player B) I am not one to wish negatively towards another prospect just cause he's not on our team. Glass seems like a good dude. Went through a lot of hardships in his young life. Best of luck to him in his career.

10 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Dang, forgot about this thread. Looks like Pettersson wasted no time putting to rest the Glass v Pettersson debate as far as draft +1 years go. Lol. Glass I think shouldn't be overlooked though, just cause his year wasn't nearly as historic as Pettersson's was. Glass was one of the center pieces of a proposed Karlsson deal and Vegas said no dice. Centers are at a premium right now in the league and Glass is still a really legit prospect. He has played more center in his career than Pettersson has, keep that in mind too.

...although the same source later said that they were willing, fwiw.

7 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

...although the same source later said that they were willing, fwiw.

All the reports I am reading say Glass was never apart of any such deals, I see a report that says McPhee upped his original offer, but it never included Glass. Mind telling me where you read that they were willing to part with Glass in a deal? I quickly skimmed over like 4-5 different reports on Sportsnet and such about a Vegas - Ottawa deal over the last few months and all said Glass was the deal breaker.

Interesting that some think Petterssen transitioning to center is important.  On a team level right now it may be.  Might not matter on a team level later though.  And I don't think Petterssen needs to be a center to be an elite player.  

if we end up in a couple years at

Dahlen new 1c Petterssen

Virtanen Horvat Boeser 

Jasek   Gaudette  Lind

Gadjovich Sutter Palmu

Then I think Petterssen is just as valuable as he would be at 1C.  And the new 1C should probably come from out next 1st round pick with the pile of high end center options next year.  

Archived