The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Combine Results for our top 4 Picks in 2017

Derp...

Saw this on r/canucks and thought everyone here would want to see. Thanks to reddit user umpqo for putting this together.

"NHL Central Scouting releases the top 25 at each Combine fitness test onto their website, so let's take a look back at how our newly minted prospects fared!

For reference, Central Scouting gives information on six categories of testing: Aerobic Fitness, Agility and Balance, Anaerobic Fitness, Anthropometry (body composition), Force Plate, and Musculoskeletal. Some of these categories contain data for multiple tests, while others have only one. For a full explanation of the scouting combine's test, please see this article."

Elias Pettersson

Test Placement Result Result Relative to First
Anaerobic Fitness: Mean Power Output 3rd 12.5 watts/kg -0.3 watts/kg
Anaerobic Fitness: Peak Power Output 7th 16.4 watts/kg -3.1 watts/kg

Kole Lind

Anerobic Fitness: Duration 16th 15:00 -1:45
Anaerobic Fitness: Fatigue Index 14th 40.6 +17.8
Musculoskeletal: Left Hand Grip 21st 133 lb -37 lb
Musculoskeletal: Right Hand Grip 11th 144 lb -31 lb

Jonah "Good lord this kid is yolked" Gadjovich

Anaerobic Fitness: Peak Power Output 10th 16.3 watts/kg -3.2 watts/kg
Agility& Balance: Pro Agility Right 12th 4.53s +0.34s
Musculoskeletal: Bench Press (70-80% of Body Weight) 7th 15 reps -2 reps
Musculoskeletal: Left Hand Grip 2nd 164 lbs -6 lbs
Musculoskeletal: Right Hand Grip 3rd 159 lbs -16 lbs
Musculoskeletal: Pull-Ups (Consecutive) 7th 11 reps -2 reps
Musculoskeletal: Standing long jump 19th 106.3 in -11.7 in

Micheal DiPietro

Anaerobic Fitness: Fatigue Index 17th 41.3 18.5
Anthropometry: Wing Span 17th 77.50 in -3.79 in

Jack Rathbone

Anaerobic Fitness: Peak Power Output 14th 16.1 watts/kg -3.4 watts/kg
Anaerobic Fitness: Mean Power Output 17th 12.0 watts/kg -0.8 watts/kg
Agility & Balance: Pro Agility Left 12th 4.58 s +0.39 s
Agility & Balance: Pro Agility Right 11th 4.53 s +0.34 s
Force Plate Vertical Jump 15th 20.71 in -4.67 in
Musculoskeletal: Bench Press (70-80% of Body Weight) 5th 15 reps -2 reps
Musculoskeletal: Pull-Ups (Consecutive) 1st 13 reps --

"From a glance it appears our prospects are in extremely good shape. 104 prospects attended this year's scouting combine, so every top 25 placement you see represents a top 24% (or lower!) finish. Does this affect your opinion of this year's picks?

Some people may have been skeptical of Jack Rathbone, but it looks like he absolutely killed the combine. Anything else stand out for you? Discuss!"

I was surprised to see that all did well in certain areas. Most shocking was Gadjovich's pro agility right 12th place. Dood can move for a big man with shoes on. Hope he can get that agility onto the ice too.

Rathbone's results are really impressive.  He is a great pick up with his potential.  Later round D men have been this team's bread and butter over the years. If he has a chance of being the next Hutton it's worth the pick. 

They all did well with the combine which tells me that JB and co place a lot of value on the combine and interviews. 

EmW

What I like to see in Gadjovic is that good anaerobic peak power output.  Where the main criticism is skating that indicates to me he should be able to generate the peak power needed to accelerate his significant mass once he gets the mechanics worked out.  Big strong kid with great attitude.  Hope he can bring it to the pro level.

Not at all surprising that Gadjovich has superior grip strength.  He said he enjoys rock climbing.  A strong grip means strong hands and forearms.  This kid can shoot the puck, and fight.  He's on our third line in two years. 

19 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Thanks for posting,  but it would've been far more useful to see the exact same test results for each of the prospects so we could compare apples to apples so to speak. 

Not sure that data is available. I believe the best you can get is the top-25 players for each test. But if a player didn't place top-25, I don't think you can find their results anywhere (public anyway).

But you can certainly compare "apples to apples" on those top-25 lists. They're available from the following link (drop-down menu at top right of page):

https://link.nhl.com/centralscouting/public/

5 hours ago, nzan said:

so, even though i don't understand what any of this means, it seems it's saying that Gadjovich is strong like Dave Babych strong

i am in your camp

the statistical data is a bit meaningless to most

the rankings help rate the statistical performances somewhat

but i do understand "dave babych strong"  :P

that is:  don't mess with me if you know what is good for you

Archived