The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017-18 Utica Comets Thread

2 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Yes (already changed that), but watch the replay. MacEwen is right there and bats at the puck as it comes across. Zilch also announced it as his goal before it was announced in the building as Rodin.

It's a bit hard to tell from that replay, but it does seem like MacEwen tapped it in. There will probably be a scoring change, but I don't see how they could credit Rodin for the goal. Neither does it look like the opposing team's defenceman accidentally put it in their own net. 

22 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It's a bit hard to tell from that replay, but it does seem like MacEwen tapped it in. There will probably be a scoring change, but I don't see how they could credit Rodin for the goal. Neither does it look like the opposing team's defenceman accidentally put it in their own net. 

Yeah, its really hard to tell since the AHL streams aren't the greatest quality. The OD Comets twitter also thought it was MacEwen initially then said a replay confirmed it was Rodin, seeing the jumbotron feed in the arena is probably a lot clearer.

EDIT: @-Vintage Canuck-, they just showed a different angle of the goal during the intermission. Hit the defenseman's skates and went in. Mystery solved!

End of the second, Comets are up 2-0 and leading in shots 28-18 after pouring on 20 in the second. Tons of great chances for the Comets in that frame, especially on the PP, although ironically the one PP goal they get is off a fortunate bounce to Goldobin. Cassels also nearly scored shorthanded right before Rodin's goal; Wilcox bobbled the puck and Cassels had a wide open net to tuck it in, but was in too deep and just tapped it through the crease along the goal line. The PK has been very aggressive and active in killing off all of Rochester's opportunities so far; Cull rotates almost every forward to kill penalties so nobody ends up sitting for long periods of time. Chatfield has been noticeably stellar; he's paired with Sautner and as such ends up doing the bulk of the work when he's on the ice, skating the puck out or challenging opposing forwards with his stick while Sautner performs the stay at home role near the crease. Very good game for Rodin so far as well.

3-2 Comets the final in a shootout, 37-24 shots in favour of Utica overall. Solid effort by Bachman in net who stopped everything for the first two periods and all three attempts in the shootout. Goldobin grabs a goal in regulation as well as the shootout winner. His line with Gaunce and Archibald showed a lot of promise, although with all of the special teams play none of the lines were able to stay together for extended periods of time.

Rodin stood out in this one, made a great play on his goal to rush the puck up the ice and got ice time in all situations. MacEwen was also a positive after being rather quiet yesterday; he saw time on the PK and was paired with Gaunce at times during the 4 on 4 stretches which was a very effective combination. Chatfield reminds me a little bit of McEneny last season... he's still new to the AHL level but just does so many things right. Great skater, great puck mover, very smart with his stick. Has a decently heavy shot too which he got to showcase on the PP a couple of times tonight. Brisebois played a safe game, didn't step up too much, but that's not a bad thing for a rookie pro d-man. Looks like he's still feeling things out. Molino and D'Aoust didn't play very much; they were supposed to be on a line with Chaput, but Chaput got a ton of PP and PK time which altered the rotations, especially in the third. LaBate and Cassels were also quiet. Sifers looks like he'll be a great veteran presence on that blueline and should be playing every game if possible to help mentor the kids.

The Comets next game is at home vs the Checkers on Wednesday at 4:00 pst.

Three stars: 1) Goldobin, 2) Bachman, 3) Wilcox.

1st      
No Scoring
2nd      
13:26 UTI Anton Rodin (1) ASST: Zack MacEwen (1), Joseph LaBate (2)

14:50 UTI Nikolay Goldobin (5) ASST: Michael Chaput (3), Philip Holm (7) (PP)

3rd      
2:35 RCH Sahir Gill (4) ASST: Brendan Guhle (6), Zach Redmond (4)

4:59 RCH Brendan Guhle (2) ASST: C.J. Smith (8), Steve Moses (5) (PP)

OT      
No Scoring

7 hours ago, Yotes said:

How did Rodin play in the game?

Had a decent outing on Friday and was one of the best Comets on the ice Saturday. His skating looks like its at 100% or close to it which is great to see coming off such a serious knee injury. Got used in all situations, PP and PK, ended up scoring that shorthanded goal - which admittedly took a fortunate deflection, but it wouldn't have been a chance at all if he hadn't dangled past the defenseman to make it a 2 on 1 in the first place. Gonna be interesting to see how he's deployed without Gaunce there now... Cull appears to like to spread out the scoring between three lines which were centered by Bancks, Chaput and Gaunce this weekend. But Megna returning means he has another vet to compete against for a spot, plus Megna has the advantage of being able to play centre.

Hamilton is apparently injured right now which is fortunate. But he should be a permanent scratch anyway in my opinion. Basically one of Bancks/Chaput/Rodin/Megna/Archibald/Sifers has to be scratched in order to comply with vet rules. In no way should Megna be playing over Rodin based on ability but he might get the edge since Utica is thin at centre. I hope Rodin's done enough to earn his ice time though.

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Lol, I know what he meant but taken out of context it sounds like Johnson has a grudge against Goldobin. "I don't want to see him ever again." :P

Some encouraging words for sure, great to hear Goldobin getting better at the details. It also sounds like Johnson likes Lockwood. 

15 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

Lol, I know what he meant but taken out of context it sounds like Johnson has a grudge against Goldobin. "I don't want to see him ever again." :P

Some encouraging words for sure, great to hear Goldobin getting better at the details. It also sounds like Johnson likes Lockwood. 

Nice to hear that Gaunce's skating is looking good.  "He's an NHLer".

Archived