The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017-18 Utica Comets Thread

1 hour ago, TomatoPieFan said:

UticaHockey provides the better technical reviews of the Comets play than I could ever hope.  I'm going to give some perspective from a layman armchair fan and season ticket holder since the second season.  I have never seen a Comets team, up until this season, that turns the puck over more between the blue lines.  Greens defensive play had 2 and 3 players scrumming along the boards to work the puck out of our zone and control over the blue line as opposed to this year where aimless dumps lead to turnovers and icings.  There have been Comets players clearing our zone that hit the opposing player dead center on the blade without the opposing player even moving a foot.  I would say it seems as though we have more intercepted dumps than we actually control the puck the length of the ice.  The timing of our forwards on the rush is also lacking.  That will probably come with more ice time but geez it's been hard to watch so far.  Carolina looked like an NHL team and the Comets like ECHL in that debacle last weekend.

Sounds like horrible hockey to watch.  What is your thinking on the problem?  Too many young D?  Coaching?  System?

It's beginning to look like this is going to be a tough year again for the Comets, if things continue on like they have.

14 hours ago, Yotes said:

dont we already have too many players down in Utica having to sit multiple guys each night?

Woods has been on a PTO with the Comets a few weeks ago and was just signed to a full year standard AHL contract.  He was brought in for two reasons.  To add some grit and because he can play center something that this team is sorely lacking.  Woods is currently out with a shoulder injury which makes the timing of this announcement kind of odd.

Woods is more of a warm body than anything else.  Capable of centering a 4th line but isn't going to add any scoring and not a great skater.  But for a team that is so desperately in need of centers he fills a void.

I have not been comparing the lines night to night but there seems to be a lack of continuity due to the revolving door of veterans. Past teams had the same vets (Cal O Reilly) play every night while the youngsters rotated starts.  This team is opposite.  As a developmental league I get it but yes its painful to watch when you know on paper this team has some good players.

4 hours ago, alfstonker said:

You're an idiot. Willie HAS WON THE CALDER CUP. Stop embarrassing yourself.

We missed a trick by not at least asking him to coach Utica imo. What he did with the youngsters in Vancouver was immense (including rebooting Granny and Sven)

Ya Im sure a guy being fired from his job would gladly accept a demotion in the same organization...happens all the time right??? The guy got out coached like crazy at the nhl level. 

Comets scored two goals in the last 16 seconds today but lost 5-4 to Laval.... that's three losses in a row and 5 of their last 6. Haven't watched the past three, but that promising start where the powerplay was clicking and the games were close has taken a serious hit in the past week. Can't imagine its much fun watching this team constantly playing from behind lately. Next game's Friday at 4:00 pst vs Belleville... Next time I'll be tuning in is probably the back to back with Laval the following weekend.

Just FYI, I've been updating the roster/leading scorers in the OP if anyone's ever interested in that.

1st      
4:13 LAV Daniel Carr (9) ASST: Peter Holland (8), Chris Terry (7) (PP)

19:29 LAV Peter Holland (8) ASST: Daniel Audette (5), Matt Taormina (14) (PP)

2nd      
11:15 LAV Daniel Carr (10) ASST: Matt Taormina (15), Chris Terry (8)

14:52 UTI Michael Chaput (4) ASST: Reid Boucher (8)

3rd      
3:45 LAV Antoine Waked (1) ASST: Jakub Jerabek (10), Matt Taormina (16)

9:38 UTI Alexis D'Aoust (3) ASST: Zack MacEwen (2), Cole Cassels (1)

18:41 LAV Jordan Boucher (2) ASST: Jeremy Gregoire (4) (EN)

19:44 UTI Cam Darcy (1) ASST: Jaime Sifers (2), Alexis D'Aoust (3)

19:54 UTI Reid Boucher (4) ASST: Michael Chaput (5), Jayson Megna (2)

17 hours ago, Yotes said:

Ya Im sure a guy being fired from his job would gladly accept a demotion in the same organization...happens all the time right??? The guy got out coached like crazy at the nhl level. 

Which teams out-coached him and who was on their roster? Only an idiot makes apple and orange comparisons. You don't win a CC if you are inclined to be out-coached even at AHL level.

5 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Which teams out-coached him and who was on their roster? Only an idiot makes apple and orange comparisons. You don't win a CC if you are inclined to be out-coached even at AHL level.

Do you forget how badly we got outplayed against Calgary in the playoffs? That was an entire series where he had chances to adjust the team to their opponents. 

I wont even bother talking about it anymore, WD was not a good nhl coach, he got outclassed and outsmarted by more teams than not. If you fail to believe that well that is your choice.

Lets hope this current Utica coach can help these young future Canucks!!

Go Utica Go!!

Comets call-up Cederholm, McEneny may be out:

The Utica Comets have added a defenseman to the roster.

On Friday, the Comets announced Anton Cederholm had been recalled from the Kalamazoo Wings in the ECHL, where the 6-foot-2, 210-pound defenseman has played in 10 games this season. He has a goal, two assists and eight penalty minutes in that time. Cederholm, who has spent time in the preseason with the Comets, has not appeared in an AHL game.

The move adding the 22-year-old defenseman, who played in Sweden last season, comes after Evan McEneny left Wednesday’s 5-4 road loss to Laval in the first period and did not return. The move gives the Comets eight total defensemen on the roster.

The Comets (5-7-0-1 overall), who have lost three straight games, have two home contests this weekend. The Comets play the Belleville Senators on Friday before hosting the Hartford Wolf Pack on Saturday. Both games are set for 7 p.m.

On 11/15/2017 at 12:02 PM, alfstonker said:

Willie HAS WON THE CALDER CUP.

We missed a trick by not at least asking him to coach Utica imo. What he did with the youngsters in Vancouver was immense (including rebooting Granny and Sven)

When will this madness end? You love Willie D. We get it. He could do no wrong. Maybe it's time to let it go...

And I think that Green resurrected baertschi. It was the Calder run in 2015. The following year people were saying he was invisible and wanted him traded. Kudos to Willie for sticking with him but he was on the verge of going to Europe until Green got a hold of him again.

Also unrelated but Green started Markstrom 25 straight games during that same playoff run. There's lots of positives for a coach when your goalie is playing out of his mind. I'm sure Cull will be welcoming Demko back with open arms. As long as they're playing the same systems for both teams the results will come. There's a lot of turnover this season from the top down that will take some adjustment. 

7 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

When will this madness end? You love Willie D. We get it. He could do no wrong. Maybe it's time to let it go...

And I think that Green resurrected baertschi. It was the Calder run in 2015. The following year people were saying he was invisible and wanted him traded. Kudos to Willie for sticking with him but he was on the verge of going to Europe until Green got a hold of him again.

Also unrelated but Green started Markstrom 25 straight games during that same playoff run. There's lots of positives for a coach when your goalie is playing out of his mind. I'm sure Cull will be welcoming Demko back with open arms. As long as they're playing the same systems for both teams the results will come. There's a lot of turnover this season from the top down that will take some adjustment. 

You need to read what Baertschi himself was quoted as saying before letting your imagination run riot.

I didn't say WD could do no wrong, I thought he stuck with the Sedins too long for his and the team's own good.

As for the end of the "madness" as you call it, it will end when people stop crapping on a coach who was not only short changed when it came to replacements and prospects but never got a break all his time here due to injuries and GM brain--rts. He still has not got the credit he deserved for the way he brought on the young players either.

13 minutes ago, alfstonker said:

You need to read what Baertschi himself was quoted as saying before letting your imagination run riot.

I didn't say WD could do no wrong, I thought he stuck with the Sedins too long for his and the team's own good.

As for the end of the "madness" as you call it, it will end when people stop crapping on a coach who was not only short changed when it came to replacements and prospects but never got a break all his time here due to injuries and GM brain--rts. He still has not got the credit he deserved for the way he brought on the young players either.

In your estimation what else was lacking from his coaching style. I'm just curious because I see the unwavering support but never the criticism. It's irrelevant now, which is the puzzling part, but since your going to continue as the advocate I thought I'd ask.

Here's my take. Defense first, last and always isn't a way to win games. It's a recipe to give yourself a 50/50 chance to come out of the game with a 2-1 win. 

4 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Hey..just saw the Comets finally woke up! Up 6-1 on Ott's farm

Boucher x 2

Meg

Chappy

Holm

Sautner

Goldy 2 helpers

Griffen Molino with his first as well.

And on top of that, a great stat padding night for Demko. He stops 26 of 27 or a 1.00 GAA and a 0.963 SV%.

Archived