The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017-18 Utica Comets Thread

Our D prospects in Utica just aren't good enough. Losing Biega and Pedan definitely didn't help either.

It's time for Benning to make some more interesting trades to beef up their D. They're not winning a Calder this season at this rate if they don't.

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Our D prospects in Utica just aren't good enough. Losing Biega and Pedan definitely didn't help either.

It's time for Benning to make some more interesting trades to beef up their D. They're not winning a Calder this season at this rate if they don't.

And a top-six centre, please.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I wonder if they'll give Boucher another chance. I know conditioning was a big thing with him, but his point totals lately are hard to ignore.

Where does he fit in though, on a team that already has so many smaller skilled forwards? Goldy is ahead of him, IMO, though not just based of his one game that some people are blowing a bit out of proportion. Regardless, Jake is still having a hard time fitting in - I don't see Boucher coming up without 1 or 2 more F injuries

Where to begin... that was easily the most entertaining hockey game I've seen all year. Offensively amazing, defensively horrendous, a bunch of lead changes back and forth until the very end. A night that Demko would probably like to forget, although it was more the defense corps in front of him that coughed up a lot of prime scoring chances. Bridgeport went 4/5 on the PP and the Comets PK really had no answer for them; the Comets PP was 2/5 and very stellar in its own right.

From a purely offensive standpoint, Boucher looks like the real deal. He was the best player from either team, piled up a four point night and really drove the offense. Not sure if he has the all-around game to stick at the NHL level but he should be worth a call-up the next time one is needed for the big club. Great shot, great vision, and does so many crafty little things that other players can't. MacEwen was also a bright spot - he's meshed nicely with Chaput and Boucher and uses his size to his advantage to help create room for them. Reminds me a bit of Grenier the way he moves and with his playmaking ability, but with more physicality involved. LaBate was also very active in this one, chipping in a goal of his own along with five shots and just being a general nuisance in front of the net. D'Aoust had a lot of jump with three shots on goal, although he didn't factor in the scoring; he looks more comfortable out there compared to the other bubble guys on the team. Darcy is a solid PTO finding, not a flashy player but serviceable even though he's playing in a role above his job description; kinda like Alex Friesen from a couple seasons back. The Carcone-Cassels-Molino trio was incredibly quiet, pretty much the only forward line that didn't create anything all night.

The defense: injuries are started to pile up and this could become a point of trouble for the Comets fast if guys like Holm and Subban are out for extended periods of time. Holm had a solid first period before getting absolutely belted on an open ice hit in the second. Not sure what happened to Subban, but he didn't come out for the third and the Comets were down to four defensemen for the whole period. Brisebois had a really rough game, was responsible for two goals against and in the box for another. Sautner, his partner, was decent but the two of them looked completely out of it by the end of the third as they had to be out there every other shift (Wiercioch-Chatfield the other pair). Chatfield looked very steady again but he too started to run out of gas by the end and was getting beaten in his own zone. Wiercioch is a nice veteran anchor with offensive instincts (he made a great play moving down from the point to score the tying goal) but skating is a weakness and with all the extra ice time he was moving like a slug in the late stages of the third and into OT. Gotta hope someone like McEneny can come back soon and help fill the void.

Three stars: Fritz, Boucher, Bernier. These teams are back at it again tomorrow in Bridgeport.

1st      
0:44 UTI Reid Boucher (10) ASST: Jordan Subban (5), Cam Darcy (7)

11:37 BRI Steve Bernier (8) ASST: Tanner Fritz (16), Kane Lafranchise (6)

13:46 BRI Scott Eansor (9) ASST: Steve Bernier (3), Sebastian Aho (7) (PP)

2nd      
1:29 UTI Reid Boucher (11) ASST: Jayson Megna (5) (PP)

3:23 UTI Joseph LaBate (3) ASST: None

5:01 BRI Tanner Fritz (5) ASST: Kane Lafranchise (7)

9:13 UTI Michael Chaput (7) ASST: Reid Boucher (10), Patrick Wiercioch (3) (PP)

16:09 BRI Casey Bailey (4) ASST: Michael Dal Colle (7), Mitchell Vande Sompel (9) (PP)

3rd      
6:58 UTI Michael Chaput (8) ASST: Zack MacEwen (6), Reid Boucher (11)

7:27 BRI Seth Helgeson (2) ASST: Tanner Fritz (17), Steve Bernier (4)

12:30 BRI Devon Toews (5) ASST: Sebastian Aho (8) (PP)

16:52 UTI Patrick Wiercioch (3) ASST: Zack MacEwen (7)

OT      
4:52 BRI Tanner Fritz (6) ASST: None (PP)

38 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Where to begin... that was easily the most entertaining hockey game I've seen all year. Offensively amazing, defensively horrendous, a bunch of lead changes back and forth until the very end. A night that Demko would probably like to forget, although it was more the defense corps in front of him that coughed up a lot of prime scoring chances. Bridgeport went 4/5 on the PP and the Comets PK really had no answer for them; the Comets PP was 2/5 and very stellar in its own right.

From a purely offensive standpoint, Boucher looks like the real deal. He was the best player from either team, piled up a four point night and really drove the offense. Not sure if he has the all-around game to stick at the NHL level but he should be worth a call-up the next time one is needed for the big club. Great shot, great vision, and does so many crafty little things that other players can't. MacEwen was also a bright spot - he's meshed nicely with Chaput and Boucher and uses his size to his advantage to help create room for them. Reminds me a bit of Grenier the way he moves and with his playmaking ability, but with more physicality involved. LaBate was also very active in this one, chipping in a goal of his own along with five shots and just being a general nuisance in front of the net. D'Aoust had a lot of jump with three shots on goal, although he didn't factor in the scoring; he looks more comfortable out there compared to the other bubble guys on the team. Darcy is a solid PTO finding, not a flashy player but serviceable even though he's playing in a role above his job description; kinda like Alex Friesen from a couple seasons back. The Carcone-Cassels-Molino trio was incredibly quiet, pretty much the only forward line that didn't create anything all night.

The defense: injuries are started to pile up and this could become a point of trouble for the Comets fast if guys like Holm and Subban are out for extended periods of time. Holm had a solid first period before getting absolutely belted on an open ice hit in the second. Not sure what happened to Subban, but he didn't come out for the third and the Comets were down to four defensemen for the whole period. Brisebois had a really rough game, was responsible for two goals against and in the box for another. Sautner, his partner, was decent but the two of them looked completely out of it by the end of the third as they had to be out there every other shift (Wiercioch-Chatfield the other pair). Chatfield looked very steady again but he too started to run out of gas by the end and was getting beaten in his own zone. Wiercioch is a nice veteran anchor with offensive instincts (he made a great play moving down from the point to score the tying goal) but skating is a weakness and with all the extra ice time he was moving like a slug in the late stages of the third and into OT. Gotta hope someone like McEneny can come back soon and help fill the void.

Three stars: Fritz, Boucher, Bernier. These teams are back at it again tomorrow in Bridgeport.

1st      
0:44 UTI Reid Boucher (10) ASST: Jordan Subban (5), Cam Darcy (7)

11:37 BRI Steve Bernier (8) ASST: Tanner Fritz (16), Kane Lafranchise (6)

13:46 BRI Scott Eansor (9) ASST: Steve Bernier (3), Sebastian Aho (7) (PP)

2nd      
1:29 UTI Reid Boucher (11) ASST: Jayson Megna (5) (PP)

3:23 UTI Joseph LaBate (3) ASST: None

5:01 BRI Tanner Fritz (5) ASST: Kane Lafranchise (7)

9:13 UTI Michael Chaput (7) ASST: Reid Boucher (10), Patrick Wiercioch (3) (PP)

16:09 BRI Casey Bailey (4) ASST: Michael Dal Colle (7), Mitchell Vande Sompel (9) (PP)

3rd      
6:58 UTI Michael Chaput (8) ASST: Zack MacEwen (6), Reid Boucher (11)

7:27 BRI Seth Helgeson (2) ASST: Tanner Fritz (17), Steve Bernier (4)

12:30 BRI Devon Toews (5) ASST: Sebastian Aho (8) (PP)

16:52 UTI Patrick Wiercioch (3) ASST: Zack MacEwen (7)

OT      
4:52 BRI Tanner Fritz (6) ASST: None (PP)

Subban actually left the ice before Holm got hurt so the Comets played half of the second and all of the third with only 4 dmen.  I didn't see what happened to Subban but when he skated off the ice with the trainer he was holding the side of his face but otherwise looked fine.  I thought maybe he needed a couple of stiches and would be back out there but that wasn't the case.  The hit that Holm took had concussion written all over it.  

To make matters worse I've heard that McEneny is done for the year with an ACL injury.  Nothing official so it could be bad information but that is the word amoung some Comets fans.

Subban was very aggressive in a fight which he clearly did well in.   Didn't appear to be injured in the fight - but when Sifers went down with the broken wrist he played abit after his fight, but then went off and that was it.  Worry about hands in spur-of-the-moment fights with the helmets and shields they are up against.  Give Comets lots of credit last night.  They played with 4 D for half of regulation and OT.  WIll be tough tonight in Bridgeport as we'll see Cederholm and maybe Stewart slot in?  Huge drop off.

Only been to 4-5 games this year and the team always seems a little disjointed.  For some reason I can't quite get into the style of play under Cull compared to the Green years when you could count on a heavy forecheck and very tight D.  The roster has changed so much from game to game II guess it is hard to get in any kind of groove.  Call-ups, the veteran rule, injuries, have really messed with the lineup.  The last couple of games I saw I thought Chaput looked good and Demko is getting a full taste of professional life as a full time goalie.  He has been the MVP so far. But my overall impression is that we are under performing given the talent level.  Now that injuries have piled up so much I can give the team a pass.  

Archived