The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017-18 Utica Comets Thread

A couple of reinforcements added as the injuries start to pile up. Brassart's a BC boy who spent a couple seasons in the AHL with Iowa, Watson's a former Sharks pick who just finished up four years at Michigan Tech. The addition of Watson gives the Comets seven healthy defensemen... and that's including Cederholm and Stewart.

3 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Looks like Chaput and Demko were last minute scratches tonight. I'm thinking they both get the call; Chaput if Horvat is out, and Demko for the LTIR. 

Our goalies are doing fine, would it not be better to let Demko actually play games instead of just practice and collect a pay cheque?

Bachman is already hurt too is he not, so Garteig is the back up

On 12/12/2017 at 11:00 PM, VancouverHabitant said:

Has Cederholm played much for the Comets?  Can anyone comment on him?

I was hoping to have one of the Utica guys comment on this.  I follow all the Comets reports I can get my hands on but don't normally watch them but will respond since it is now almost three days without comment from Utica.

Cederholm didn't make the Comets out of training camp and started the season in Kalamazoo.  He was called up because of injuries to Comets' defencemen and the earlier callups of Holm and Wiercioch (both of whom were re-assigned to the Comets.)

From the reports I've read Cederholm was better placed in the ECHL than the AHL.  The Comets have lost Subban via trade, have Sifers and Holm out with injury and Sautner temporarily called up to the Comets.  Once Sautner, Sifer and Holm return, Cederholm's chances of sticking in Utica are better than they were simply because there is an extra place available because of the Subban trade.

His stats in Utica this season so far are 0 points, 0 penalty minutes and -6 in 9 games.  Stats through 9 games don't mean a lot.  They are consistent with reports on his play, though.

It would be very surprising if he is offered an extension on his current entry level contract.

Quick Comets notes.   Cederholm and Stewart thankfully replaced with Cliff Watson and Dylan Blujus, both on pro tryouts, and a major upgrade.  Hope to never see Stewart again, not capable of playing in this league.  Cederhom not much better.  Nice 2-1 win a solid defensive effort.  Holm's return was much needed - steady defender and a key part of the power play.   Scored on a well-executed 5-on-3 PP.    Zach McEwen is the prospect to keep an eye on.  He's got several tools and is tough as nails.   Tough one tonight at home vs Rochester (Tender Linus Ulmark hasn't lost a game in weeks).   Then two at home with the Marlies.  They really stack that team.

Cole Cassels added an assist - two in one week !  Now has 3 points (all assists) on the season.  I don't dislike him - he really plays hard - but I thought we'd see more offense.   

2 minutes ago, UTICANUCK said:

Quick Comets notes.   Cederholm and Stewart thankfully replaced with Cliff Watson and Dylan Blujus, both on pro tryouts, and a major upgrade.  Hope to never see Stewart again, not capable of playing in this league.  Cederhom not much better.  Nice 2-1 win a solid defensive effort.  Holm's return was much needed - steady defender and a key part of the power play.   Scored on a well-executed 5-on-3 PP.    Zach McEwen is the prospect to keep an eye on.  He's got several tools and is tough as nails.   Tough one tonight at home vs Rochester (Tender Linus Ulmark hasn't lost a game in weeks).   Then two at home with the Marlies.  They really stack that team.

Thanks for the update. This thread is like a ghost town this year compared to last year. Is it because the Utica fans are just too busy or is there nothing to really talk about this year?

The Comets looked like the Comets of old last night.  Simple, hard game.  I have been to fewer games this year, maybe 5, and the first 4 were all losses with just desultory play once injuries hit.  The team was very exciting early with all the talent they had, but even then were under achieving and I can't put my finger on it but the way they were playing was an unexciting brand of hockey.  So I haven't been enjoying the games as in past years (Is this Cull?).  

Last night was different though.  They played a hard, forechecking game with solid team D.

Uticanuck is right, Zach Macewen has potential.  He had a couple of bursts last night where he looked like McDavid.  Literally shocked me.  And he isn't shy about the corners.  Just needs some more skill and awareness.  The other guy who has some potential but is further away from the NHL is Woods.  He is big and mean.  His skating is good enough but if he can take a small step forward he will be a good player in the AHL.  After that who knows.  

Boucher is playing very well.  A real 200' game which was always the beef with him.  Megna is fast and gets lots of opportunity but production just isn't there.

Chatfield has been a slight disappointment after watching during pre season.  Last night he played well.  Holm and WIercioch are solid.  I think they have all struggled with nagging injuries this year at the back end.  

We miss Archie no doubt.  Feel really bad for him because he was within a whisker of making the Canucks this year and probably would have gotten a call up and an NHL contract.   

Bachman is a good goalie and I am a fan but he has been bad this year.  Just hasn't given us anything at all.  Most of the losses you can point to D breakdowns galore, but Bachman hasn't come up with any answer.  Demko on the other hand has been a stud. 

54 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Seems like somebody has awaken Cole Cassels and Michael Carcone...they have been playing great the past few games and being rewarded on the scoreboard.  Cole might be finally getting it.

Would love to see that happen. Not expecting he make it in the NHL as a McDavid killer, but for him to round out his game and eventually grab a spot would be great.

Comets played 53 minutes of solid hockey last night, and just when it looked like a Bachman shutout - it turned.  Rochester scored twice in the last 7 and early in OT after a blantant missed call that should have put the Comets on the  PP.  Instead it turned into a CJ Smith breakaway, which Bachman initially stopped, but then kicked in while laying on the ice.

Prospect wise it was one of Cassels best all-around games, despite his slashing penalty, which lead to the first Rochester goal.   Carcone was dynamic as well - and the line of Cassels, Carcone and Molino was our best line by far accounting for both goals.    Holm and Brisebois are our first pair on defense and they too were very solid.   They play very well together and could become a good bottom six combo at the next level.  Chatfield may be a Subban clone.  He has a great wheels, but is careless with the puck and is weak when it comes to clearing the puck out of harms way. He is paired with Wiercoch who has been overshadowed by Sautner and Holm.  From an NHL vet I expected a little more.  

Things are looking up and the eventual return of Archie, Sifers, Sautner and Chaput will allow them to make a run.

5 hours ago, UTICANUCK said:

Comets played 53 minutes of solid hockey last night, and just when it looked like a Bachman shutout - it turned.  Rochester scored twice in the last 7 and early in OT after a blantant missed call that should have put the Comets on the  PP.  Instead it turned into a CJ Smith breakaway, which Bachman initially stopped, but then kicked in while laying on the ice.

Prospect wise it was one of Cassels best all-around games, despite his slashing penalty, which lead to the first Rochester goal.   Carcone was dynamic as well - and the line of Cassels, Carcone and Molino was our best line by far accounting for both goals.    Holm and Brisebois are our first pair on defense and they too were very solid.   They play very well together and could become a good bottom six combo at the next level.  Chatfield may be a Subban clone.  He has a great wheels, but is careless with the puck and is weak when it comes to clearing the puck out of harms way. He is paired with Wiercoch who has been overshadowed by Sautner and Holm.  From an NHL vet I expected a little more.  

Things are looking up and the eventual return of Archie, Sifers, Sautner and Chaput will allow them to make a run.

Great updates....from your earlier update it is good to hear Zack MacEwen is catching your eye, he seems to me to be just what the Canucks need but I suppose he might need some seasoning yet.

Cassels looked like a Burrows style pest when I seen him in junior and then he just seemed to get overwhelmed and looked like he under trained and showed little improvement until this year....I hope he is on the road to "getting it"....good genetics there so effort is key.

Chatfield sounds like he is still trying hard...he just needs to learn how to buy himself a split second more time to look up before he passes...he is young and grittier than Subban so I expect better things coming up for him.

Nice to hear Brisebois is capable of anchoring a D. line (while Holm flies around) he seems to be a really solid guy in his own zone.

Archived