The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017-18 Utica Comets Thread

Since @UticaHockeyis so cranky I have no

problem saying this. The farm is there to feed the famine. Utica is getting good fringe NHLers this year for the top of the roster to start the year, and then those guys are going to be gone for stretches to help the big club.  Just like every year. One of the only teams you see consistently signing really good AHL players is the chicago wolves and they haven't done much in awhile. There are some actual scoring prospects in the system now. Those guys plus more fringe NHLers will make for a stronger roster in Utica this year.  I don't see any need for urgency in regards to signing more AHL depth. 

49 minutes ago, wshdrvvn said:

Since @UticaHockeyis so cranky I have no

problem saying this. The farm is there to feed the famine. Utica is getting good fringe NHLers this year for the top of the roster to start the year, and then those guys are going to be gone for stretches to help the big club.  Just like every year. One of the only teams you see consistently signing really good AHL players is the chicago wolves and they haven't done much in awhile. There are some actual scoring prospects in the system now. Those guys plus more fringe NHLers will make for a stronger roster in Utica this year.  I don't see any need for urgency in regards to signing more AHL depth. 

I know that the experience with the Chicago Wolves distorted the view of how AHL teams are managed for many Canucks fans but to say they are the only team that signs good AHL players is simply not true.  Here is a list of players signed so far and it is obvious that most every team has added quality AHL players especially in the Comets division.  Out of thirty teams Vancouver/Utica is one of just two teams to not sign a single new player AND not sign a single returning player.  Two out of thirty!

http://www.aroundthea.com/player-tracker/

Every year with hear that this year's prospects are better than previous years but that had yet to become a reality.  I know every team's fans overvalue their prospects and Canucks fans are no exceptions.  Here are a few players that have been hyped up recently.

Cole Cassels....11 points in 66 games last year

Jake Virtanen ....19 points in 65 games last year

Michael Carcone...18 points in 61 games last year.

On 7/1/2017 at 4:29 PM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I dont know if the Canucks will really do much more in terms of signing guys other than their remaining 6 RFA's.  Doing so will take them to 46 contracts our of 50, and knowing how JB likes to do things, likes to leave a wiggle room to sign FA prospects.

Depending how the rest of the summer looks could look like this

Baertschi-Horvat-Eriksson

D.Sedin-H.Sedin-Granlund

Rodin-Sutter-Gagner

______-Gaunce-Dorsett

Edler-Stecher

Del Zotto-Tanev

Hutton-Gudbranson

Markstrom

Nilsson

I will predict this for Utica's opening night roster

Boucher-Chaput-Goldobin

Dahlen- MacEwen-Megna

Molino-Cassels-Virtanen

Labate-Hamilton- Carcone

Holm - Pedan

McEneny-Subban

Cederholm-Chatfield

Sautner - Brisebois

Bachman

Demko

If the projected Comet line-up is correct, that implies that Boeser and Burmistrov will be on the Canucks. If so, I think Boeser plays with Horvat and Baertschi and Eriksson plays on a line centered by either Gagner or Sutter. Over his career Gagner has been a much better offensive player than Sutter, so I project Gagner at 3C between Eriksson and Rodin and Sutter at 4C between Burmistrov and Dorsett. That makes Gaunce 13th man.  Of course, on any given night there is usually at least one injured forward (including most opening nights), so someone listed on the Utica line-up will be with the Canucks. 

On D, in addition to the 6 listed with Canucks, Wiercioch (7th man) and Biega (swing man) will likely be with the team also.

So, considering the Utica lineup, it is at least 50-50 that Dahlen goes back to Sweden and, due to injury, it is quite likely that one of the listed forwards is with the Canucks at any given time, maybe Goldobin..

That would leave Utica with a line-up that is decent but far from "stacked". In particular, it would be short on established AHL-level scoring ability. I think Utica needs to add at least one good scoring career AHL'er. They could also use more toughness. Archibald would help on both dimensions.  Benning has emphasized the importance of prospects developing in a winning environment but he does not seem to have worried much about that at the AHL level. But I do expect him to add some scoring punch to the Comets line-up before the season starts, especially if Dahlen goes back to Sweden.

On 7/2/2017 at 11:02 AM, UticaHockey said:

The sad part is Virtanen is an invisible player for most Utica fans.  When we look at possible rosters for the Comets we don't even see his name.  If he is sent down or if he stays up it really doesn't matter because he had no impact whatsoever last year.  Pretty sad statement.

If Canuck fans did not know that Virtanen was a #6 overall pick, but simply looked at his play over the last couple of years, he would not get much attention. And we would not be still be talking about him becoming an NHL power forward. A guy with his track record over the past two years needs to show that he can be a good AHL player on a consistent basis before we even think about the NHL.

8 minutes ago, JamesB said:

If the projected Comet line-up is correct, that implies that that Boeser and Burmistrov will be on the Canucks. If so, I think Boeser plays with Horvat and Baertschi and Eriksson plays on a line centered by either Gagner or Sutter. Over his career Gagner has been a much better offensive player than Sutter, so I project Gagner at 3C between Eriksson and Rodin and Sutter at 4C between Burmistrov and Dorsett. That makes Guance 13th man.  Of course, on any give night there is usually at least one injured forward (including most opening nights), so all those guys will play someone listed on the Utica line-up will be with the Canucks. 

On D, in addition to the 6 listed with Canucks, Wiercioch (7th man) and Biega (swing man) will likely be with the team also.

So, considering the Utica lineup, it is at least 50-50 that Dahlen goes back to Sweden and, due to injury, it is quite likely that one of the listed forwards is with the Canucks at any given time, maybe Goldobin..

That would leave Utica with a line-up that is decent but far from "stacked". In particular, it would be short on established AHL-level scoring ability. I think Utica needs to add at least one good scoring career AHL'er. They could also use more toughness. Archibald would help on both dimensions.  Benning has emphasized the importance of prospects developing in a winning environment but he does not seem to have worried much about that at the AHL level. But I do expect him to add some scoring punch to the Comets line-up before the season starts, especially if Dahlen goes back to Sweden.

If Canuck fans did not know that Virtanen was a #6 overall pick, but simply looked at his play over the last couple of years, he would not get much attention. And we would not be still be talking about him becoming an NHL power forward. A guy with his track record over the past two years needs to show that he can be a good AHL player on a consistent basis before we even think about the NHL.

My gut tells me the only way that Dahlen will play in Utica is if the Canucks tell him that he is on the NHL bubble and could earn a mid season call up from the AHL.  If they believe he needs a full year of additional development it will be in Sweden and not Utica.  

31 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Two minor pieces of Comets news:

Great to have Archie have us in the mix considering it's the team he's grown with as a player and he'll be a fantastic mentor next season with all the kids we may have (Chatfield, Holm, Goldy, Dahlen, MacEwan, Cassels, Carcone, etc) and guide them in the right direction. He deserves the C imo if he re-signs with us

On 7/5/2017 at 10:54 AM, UticaHockey said:

My gut tells me the only way that Dahlen will play in Utica is if the Canucks tell him that he is on the NHL bubble and could earn a mid season call up from the AHL.  If they believe he needs a full year of additional development it will be in Sweden and not Utica.  

I'm guessing Baer gets moved at the TDL. Between that and injuries... I hope that's the plan.

Though he'll likely be competing with Goldobin for that opportunity.

There will be more competition for spots in Utica in terms of players with potential to someday be in NHL than has been the case since Vancouver become the parent organization.   A strong farm team is essentially for any ability to be strong NHL team for any length of time.

10 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Big signing for the Comets, great to see Archie back for another year. He'll play a huge role leading the kids and playing in all situations again.

Nice :)

14 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Big signing for the Comets, great to see Archie back for another year. He'll play a huge role leading the kids and playing in all situations again.

Great news! He'll be a tremendous leader for the many kids coming to Utica next season and hope that he can continue to contribute offensively and his steady 2 way game. Archie! Archie! Archie!

On 02/07/2017 at 11:02 AM, UticaHockey said:

The sad part is Virtanen is an invisible player for most Utica fans.  When we look at possible rosters for the Comets we don't even see his name.  If he is sent down or if he stays up it really doesn't matter because he had no impact whatsoever last year.  Pretty sad statement.

I disagree completely about Virtanen, to say nothing of the fact he was a rookie on a team with zero offensive depth.  

I understand your frustration, but Utica is there to serve as a development team for Canucks prospect first and foremost and Benning is finally starting to get to the point where that is happening.  While it's hard for Utica fans to swallow, that's the reality of the AHL.

9 hours ago, stawns said:
On 7/2/2017 at 2:02 PM, UticaHockey said:

I disagree completely about Virtanen, to say nothing of the fact he was a rookie on a team with zero offensive depth.  

I understand your frustration, but Utica is there to serve as a development team for Canucks prospect first and foremost and Benning is finally starting to get to the point where that is happening.  While it's hard for Utica fans to swallow, that's the reality of the AHL.

You disagree that most Utica Fans don't even see Jake's name on the roster?  Trust me on 95% of the local conversations about possible rosters for the Comets next season Virtanen is never mentioned.  It's like ho doesn't even exist.  

8 hours ago, UticaHockey said:

You disagree that most Utica Fans don't even see Jake's name on the roster?  Trust me on 95% of the local conversations about possible rosters for the Comets next season Virtanen is never mentioned.  It's like ho doesn't even exist.  

UticaHockey and Stawns: I enjoy both your posts and respect your opinions. I am surprised to hear such a differing opinion on Virtanen. This pre-season will be VERY interesting.  

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

UticaHockey and Stawns: I enjoy both your posts and respect your opinions. I am surprised to hear such a differing opinion on Virtanen. This pre-season will be VERY interesting.  

Well 19 points in 65 AHL games is nothing short of a disaster for a 6th overall draft choice. There really is no way to sugar coat it.  Green moved Virtanen up and down the line up trying to find a combination that worked with no success.  

The quote of the year was from Benning when he said that Virtanen needs a center that can get him the puck and they don't have anyone like that in Utica.  Well isn't that Benning's job to make sure his top prospect in Utica is surrounded by players that will help him succeed?  Benning's other top quote was that he admitted that he didn't have enough depth to properly stock the farm when injuries occurred.  That quote was repeated two years in a row so you know why I complain that they haven't haven't signed enough quality AHL depth again this year. 

13 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Well 19 points in 65 AHL games is nothing short of a disaster for a 6th overall draft choice. There really is no way to sugar coat it.  Green moved Virtanen up and down the line up trying to find a combination that worked with no success.  

The quote of the year was from Benning when he said that Virtanen needs a center that can get him the puck and they don't have anyone like that in Utica.  Well isn't that Benning's job to make sure his top prospect in Utica is surrounded by players that will help him succeed?  Benning's other top quote was that he admitted that he didn't have enough depth to properly stock the farm when injuries occurred.  That quote was repeated two years in a row so you know why I complain that they haven't haven't signed enough quality AHL depth again this year. 

Kesler had 11 points in his first 33 games in the AHL. People focus too much on points.

The Comets sucked plain and simple. They did the best they could with what they had, but to expect guys to produce playing with plugs is asking too much.

This year they should be much better with guys like Dahlen, Goldobin, Boucher, Chaput, Megna, MacEwan, Brisebois, Chatfield, Gunnarsson, and Biega or Wiercioch. That's the type of AHL depth you need to produce NHL talent. Last year was just an off year where they had a void of talent due to players graduating and moving on. Extensive injuries to the big club also played a role.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Kesler had 11 points in his first 33 games in the AHL. People focus too much on points.

The Comets sucked plain and simple. They did the best they could with what they had, but to expect guys to produce playing with plugs is asking too much.

This year they should be much better with guys like Dahlen, Goldobin, Boucher, Chaput, Megna, MacEwan, Brisebois, Chatfield, Gunnarsson, and Biega or Wiercioch. That's the type of AHL depth you need to produce NHL talent. Last year was just an off year where they had a void of talent due to players graduating and moving on. Extensive injuries to the big club also played a role.

Time will tell how many players on the list will spend much time in Utica and if the first year rookies will struggle like those before them or if they will be productive.  There hasn't been a single undrafted first year player out of juniors that has not struggled in Utica.  Plus Dahlen and Gunnarsson have about a 90% chance of going back to Sweden IMO.  

It's quite obvious that the plan is to have Dahlen play in Sweden instead of Utica but why can't they just come out and say it instead of this garbage.  This has to be the most asinine quote I've read from a NHL team president.  The AHL may be too physical for Dahlen?  Are you developing hockey players or figure skaters....

Archived