The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Free Agency 2017 (July 1 update: Canucks sign 5 players)

Adarsh Sant

14 minutes ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Canucks' Free Agency news so far............anything surprising?

Anything you want or don't want them to do?

I'd be happy to get Alzner.  Don't know how much it's going to cost though (I picked the "kind of" option, is he the kind of player we can get without breaking the bank?).  He's getting pretty long in the tooth but he's a solid aggressive stay at home defenceman (and we kind of need that).  Interesting side note: he's the Capitals' all time leader in consecutive games played (so he's got to be durable).  I don't like to think of the Canucks as cursed but knowing our luck despite his history of durability he'll get a major injury just after acquiring him (no, that couldn't happen to us, could it?)  GCG!

Maybe Del Zotto. 27 years old, could come cheap and might be able to put up points from the back end for us. 1 year, 3 million perhaps. 

EDIT Alzner would be a good transition piece. He will be 29 when the season starts, could have about 6 years of good hockey left in him. 

To some degree I think they should look at UFAs even though it's a rebuild.

They are still charging the same, in fact my tickets went up....and we get one less game.

So I would not be impressed if we are a floor team instead of a cap team.

4 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

We could use a Dman after losing Tryamkin and Sbisa. Would love to see Alzner come home.  But besides adding a Dman I hope they do nothing else.

I'd like to see 2 or 3 big forwards to play on 3rd & 4th line.  We have zero forwards that hit/fight right now (I'm not counting Dorsett, middleweight getting up in age coming off neck surgery).  Need some kind of physicality.  I'm expecting teams will beat us, I don't want them to also beat us up.  

Other than physical depth forwards/defensemen, Benning should be targeting high risk high reward free agents with big one year contracts.  

Selling point would be money and a guaranteed opportunity to battle for a spot on a team where finding a spot should be easy.  If a guy like that ends up having a good season then you have a great asset to trade at the deadline.  

Jesus... has anybody here actually watched Alzner recently? The last thing we need to do is overpay for another Gudbranson type player. Stay away from long-term deals, only sign cheap players that you can flip at the deadline.

We already have enough dead cap space from last summer, don't need to add more.

Archived