The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nail Yakupov has interest signing with Canucks

11 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Sign him, he'll be picked up by someone else immediately if we don't. What's the worst that can happen, we finish worse than last season?  Break up the Sedins line to get some more competitive lines and it might work.

A guy like Yakupov is a Michael Grabner just waiting to be discovered or rehabilitated.  The talent is there.  Its all mental for him right now.  He needs some love and a good coach that believes in him.  You don't need much more than speed, work ethic, and an amazing shot.  I would start him out by just killing penalties hahaha.  He needs a mental reset to understand that he isn't going to be Ovechkin.  That's a hard thing for a young player to understand, but he can absolutely be Michael Grabner.  That's not a bad career at all!

11 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Sign him, he'll be picked up by someone else immediately if we don't. What's the worst that can happen, we finish worse than last season?  Break up the Sedins line to get some more competitive lines and it might work.

The worst that could happen is he fails to live up to expectations and becomes another whipping boy/distraction. That kind of situation is not something we need with our rebuilding team full of young guys. He could easily being down morale and progress for others. 

Hard pass for me. 

12 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

I'd love to have Yakupov in Vancouver. He scored at a 29 goal pace as a rookie. Still just 23 years old. No risk in signing him, and he could turn it around here. If not, would he be any worse than Jayson Megna, Linden Vey, Michael Chaput etc?

It's the attitude in the locker room that could be a problem, and infest some other young guys. Not worth taking the chance.

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

The worst that could happen is he fails to live up to expectations and becomes another whipping boy/distraction. That kind of situation is not something we need with our rebuilding team full of young guys. He could easily being down morale and progress for others. 

Hard pass for me. 

I understand the distraction being a bad thing on a veteran team, but with it just being a bunch of young kids I think it will actually help Yakupov a lot. He was very lonely in Edmonton.  We at least have Pedan and Goldobin.  Based off of the pictures of Stecher, Dahlen and the rest of the crew going out together.  I think it will be a good environment.  He can just be part of a team without having the expectations of production.  I mean he will be a free agent trying to make the team probably making less than a million dollars with no guarantee of a roster spot.

I don't think he is a cancer, we don't have any expectations for performance, and he wont get paid so no jealousy there.  Send him to camp as he wants to be here!

9 hours ago, t-rex604 said:

His confidence is shot to death. He needs a fresh start where he isnt trying to live up to the #1 pick overall expectations. If we can get 10 goals out of him, that would be a huge step in the right direction. I think 2 million is too much for a "prove your worth" contract but I think 1-1.5 million is fair. He's got skill, just needs an opportunity to prove himself once again. Always felt like he was pushed way too quickly to be an impact player at such a young age. 

I think you "Nailed it" :)

6 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I understand the distraction being a bad thing on a veteran team, but with it just being a bunch of young kids I think it will actually help Yakupov a lot. He was very lonely in Edmonton.  We at least have Pedan and Goldobin.  Based off of the pictures of Stecher, Dahlen and the rest of the crew going out together.  I think it will be a good environment.  He can just be part of a team without having the expectations of production.  I mean he will be a free agent trying to make the team probably making less than a million dollars with no guarantee of a roster spot.

I don't think he is a cancer, we don't have any expectations for performance, and he wont get paid so no jealousy there.  Send him to camp as he wants to be here!

That's a fair point you make. My concern is the past reports of his attitude and stuborness to admit his faults on what he needs to work on. He may be able to change his behaviour, but I worry it won't last once he begins to struggle, which he most certainly will at some point. He just seems too fragile for me to want to give him a shot over our other young guys. 

30 minutes ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

I read on the Oiler's MB that Yakupov seldom went out his teammates.

They surmised that it may have to do with his religion.

Yakupov hinted at this in a pre-draft interview:

https://oilersnation.com/2012/06/12/nail-yakupov-on-being-a-muslim-don-cherry-the-draft-combine-and-playing-in-canada/ 

14 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

I read on the Oiler's MB that Yakupov seldom went out his teammates.

They surmised that it may have to do with his religion.

Yakupov hinted at this in a pre-draft interview:

https://oilersnation.com/2012/06/12/nail-yakupov-on-being-a-muslim-don-cherry-the-draft-combine-and-playing-in-canada/ 

Did you ever go to Edmonton? If yes, did you ever try to go out in Edmonton?

Extremely limited options. Vancouver is a part town compared to Edmonton. I never get bored. But edmonton challenged that notion every day.

7 minutes ago, Me_ said:

Did you ever go to Edmonton? If yes, did you ever try to go out in Edmonton?

Extremely limited options. Vancouver is a part town compared to Edmonton. I never get bored. But edmonton challenged that notion every day.

The three people I've known who grew up there called it Deadmonton.

Offer him a Vrbata type deal, 1 million base salary and;

"Vrbata's contract is a low-risk move for the Coyotes with bonuses based on games played, individual success and team performance that could push the total value to more than $3 million, according to the Arizona Republic."

1 minute ago, WiseOne said:

Offer him a Vrbata type deal, 1 million base salary and;

"Vrbata's contract is a low-risk move for the Coyotes with bonuses based on games played, individual success and team performance that could push the total value to more than $3 million, according to the Arizona Republic."

I could see JB going after Vrbata again long before Yakupov

That article is an interesting look back at the 2012 draft. A very engaging and honest interview. It seems like Yakupov is a smart kid. Now only 23.

Anyway...I'm starting to be intrigued by this rumour.

It is also hilarious to read the comments at the bottom of the article. So much hope for a #1 pick. No one knew what the future would hold. No Hall, no Eberle, no Yakupov, no Gagner. And some kid named McDavid with Lucic, Draisaitl, and Pujjarvi.

Dang it...look at those riches. That's why I will always enjoy cheering against the Oilers. It's like they stole all the luck!

Archived