The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Nail Yakupov has interest signing with Canucks

Just now, Ronaldoescobar said:

I could see JB going after Vrbata again long before Yakupov

lol good point.  I do wonder why teams don't offer more 'incentive laden' deals to players that come with some baggage? 

Although to be fair, maybe teams do and it is not reported that much in the media?

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not at all. Vrbata burned his bridges here. Torched them.

i agree. i can't see Vrbata coming back here. nor do i see Benning rewching out to him. i can see Benning teaching out to Yakupov before going back to Vrbata. 

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

i agree. i can't see Vrbata coming back here. nor do i see Benning rewching out to him. i can see Benning teaching out to Yakupov before going back to Vrbata. 

Vrbata acted like a spoiled little wanker in the last half of the season when he was here. He showed his truly one dimensional game and entitlement. As well, purposefully nixing a trade out of Vancouver didn't sit well with Benning or anyone in the Canucks org.

16 minutes ago, WiseOne said:

lol good point.  I do wonder why teams don't offer more 'incentive laden' deals to players that come with some baggage? 

Although to be fair, maybe teams do and it is not reported that much in the media?

Because it's not allowed by the CBA - bonuses are only authorised on ELCs or age 35+ contracts.

Well, if he really wants to come to Vancouver, he can prove it by offering his services to the Canucks for much less than the market is offering right now.

He is a heck of a talent who has had little success on the ice and considerable difficulty fitting onto a team.

This is not a risk-free opportunity and it does limit our ability to try other prospects at his position.

I think I would still offer the absolute minimum we are required to offer, and if he is serious about being a Canuck, he can be given a chance to show us.

Once players prove themselves worthy, the team has shown considerable generosity, understanding, and loyalty to players under contract.

Win, win, win IF he turns it around, plays well, fits in, helps the team, resurrects his career, and EARNS his next contract.

I think that no matter where he signs, it will be his last crack at the NHL.  Getting a skilled guy with that kind of motivation is never a bad thing.  I'd love to sign him, if it works, we get a talented player for free, if it doesn't, nothing is lost.

28 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I think that no matter where he signs, it will be his last crack at the NHL.  Getting a skilled guy with that kind of motivation is never a bad thing.  I'd love to sign him, if it works, we get a talented player for free, if it doesn't, nothing is lost.

the real question is, if the canucks sign yakupov, what do they send to montreal to get galchenyuk?

teams like to build forward lines around pairs, right?

-sedins

-bo and sven

-pettersson and dahlen

-galchenyuk and yakupov

edit: post quoted by accident

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The three people I've known who grew up there called it Deadmonton.

Due to my profession, I've been in rough towns in my life. Never have I seen such suffering in people's faces. It seems to be a life sentence. Then again, I haven't been to Winnipeg. They say it's even worse.

Just now, Me_ said:

Due to my profession, I've been in rough towns in my life. Never have I seen such suffering in people's faces. It seems to be a life sentence. Then again, I haven't been to Winnipeg. They say it's even worse.

I drove through Manitoba once. Just once was enough.

Just curious, even though it's none of my business, what's your profession?

Considering the quality of the team, Yak should be considered as a low cost/ high reward signing...just like Pettersson, only Yak is at the age where he will be coming into his own and NHL ready. If JB is considering existing chemistry, then Yak has played with Goldobin and Boucher and have demonstrated it at the junior level similar to Pettersson and Dahlen...it's worth a shot because the cost is low and Yak will be displacing nobodies (Megna, Chaput, Skille)...however, he needs to be played like a goal scorer on the PP and be given TOI. If they keep playing the Sedins on the PP, then the young guys will not develop.

Furthermore, if you look at Kassian's case, where Kass has matured and found his game as a 25 year old player (just signing a 3 year contract), then it's not a far stretch to give Yak a chance to find his game at 23 years old. He still has time to find his game if he is played in the right situations.

2 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Sure he may be interested in signing with the Canucks but are the Canucks really interested in signing him?

Too bad if JB doesn't sign him...1-2 year deal at $1 M, nothing to lose here considering the plugs that are currently on the team.

8 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Too bad if JB doesn't sign him...1-2 year deal at $1 M, nothing to lose here considering the plugs that are currently on the team.

Not sure what there is to "lose", but considering he should be in his prime right now and has been getting worse and worse offensively, it's also arguable that there is nothing to gain, either.

I'm in the camp that the Canucks are in deep, deep trouble for an on ice, competitive product over the next 5+ years. So definitely giving younger players, like Yak, has merit.

However, the entire league and the Canucks know what Yakupov brings. We've seen it every year and it's getting worse. So, in seeing and knowing that the only way he's useful is as a top 6, but he's been declining offensively at an alarming rate, my question would then be, "What's the point?" If the Canucks know what he brings, and it isn't anything noteworthy, then why go that route?

Archived