The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks extend qualifying offers

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Why?  

Knowbody really knows, it's widely believed he's got evidence that aliens exist and once they solve the curse of oak island the investigators are going to try and solve the curse of the Canucks along with why megna got resign? 

8 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

Rodin wasn't qualified because he's a pending UFA, not RFA.

He was an RFA, actually. Not old enough and hasn't played long enough yet. 27 is the mark. 27 or 7 years of professional hockey.

He is almost 27. Not quite yet. Not sure if his Euro years count towards years to free agency.

4 minutes ago, Noseforthenet said:

He was an RFA, actually. Not old enough and hasn't played long enough yet. 27 is the mark. 27 or 7 years of professional hockey.

UFA - any player who has been under contract for 3 years and has not played 80 NHL games at age 25 becomes a UFA.

He has three seasons - 2 with the Wolves and this season.  Grenier and Rendulic are also UFAs because of that rule.  Kenins became UFA last season under that rule.

1 minute ago, mll said:

UFA - any player who has been under contract for 3 years and has not played 80 NHL games at age 25 becomes a UFA.

He has three seasons - 2 with the Wolves and this season.  Grenier and Rendulic are also UFAs because of that rule.  Kenins became UFA last season under that rule.

That is a rule I was unaware of. Usually it's the other way. But he has been often injured, so....

2 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I think you can only manage 2/4 of Yakupov/Boucher/Rodin/Weal. They're undersized skill guys that would be used in a scoring role.

That said, which 2 would you want?

Narrowed that down for you. If Rodin's healthy, I'd still like to see what he has on a one year, low cost deal and try to flip him at the TDL after hopefully having a good season. Then promptly call up (likely) Dahlen.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Narrowed that down for you. If Rodin's healthy, I'd still like to see what he has on a one year, low cost deal and try to flip him at the TDL after hopefully having a good season. Then promptly call up (likely) Dahlen.

Could add Dahlen to that list, as well as Rattie as the Blues are letting him walk. It's tricky looking at the Canucks roster and contemplating more undersized guys. Though, we really need scoring.

5 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

I think you can only manage 2/4 of Yakupov/Boucher/Rodin/Weal. They're undersized skill guys that would be used in a scoring role.

That said, which 2 would you want?

I really like Weal, he is a local boy who produced good numbers in the AHL. He has slowly transitioned from the WHL to the AHL, and now AHL to the NHL. He could be a good third line player, that can move up the lineup if there are injuries.

Really not sure about the other spot. I don't mind Yakupov at all - low-risk, high-reward. Rodin is a big question mark after his injury. Boucher was a nice pickup, but I see him more as a 13th forward.

5 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not sure how common offer sheets are these days. Makes enemies of fellow GM's real quick.

Offer sheets are very uncommon. In that last six years (summers of 2011-16) there have been a grand total of two offer sheets: Shea Weber and Ryan O'Reilly. Both were matched. The last "successful" offer sheet was in the summer of 2007.

The offer sheet possibility can be pretty much completely ignored unless there is something very strange going on.

5 hours ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Edit: Labate, Boucher, Chaput are arbitration eligible. 

Arbitrations are not very common, either, although quite a few arbitration cases are scheduled then settled before arbitration actually takes place. Last summer 25 were scheduled. I believe that 24 were settled before the hearing and one case was heard but settled before the verdict was announced. I think it is very unlikely Labate, Boucher, or Chaput goes to arbitration. They would be unlikely to get more than their QOs and, right now, they want to do everything they can just to make the team and not p*** off Benning. I think that each of them is less than 50-50 to be on the 23 man Canuck roster that starts the season. 

4 hours ago, combover said:

So we keep buttercups Chaput and Megna and let some  toughness in  camarossa walk. Yep the Vancouver pushovers will be back for another season of getting walked on.

I think team toughness is an issue. Personally I don't like fighting in the NHL and I applaud the move toward a game them emphasizes skill more and toughness less. But the physical game and team toughness still matter and I think that this year there might be an over-reaction to valuing skill and speed over toughness and physical play. Some teams that picked up tougher more physical players deeper in the draft than would be normal might have benefited. This might include the Canucks, who I think were lucky to get Gadjovich at #55. The knock on him is that he is not fast enough. But the Canucks finally have a guy who looks like a genuine power forward. I like that pick a lot.

Back to team toughness. While I applaud the skill Benning has picked up this year (finally !), including Goldobin, Dahlen, and Petterson, and I agree that Boeser is excellent, Baertchi was a good acquisition, and Granlund is pretty good, that is a very soft group of players who appear targeted to fill out the top 6 two or three years down the road. The only forward in the emerging young core who is even above average in physical strength and generally able to take care of himself from a physical point of view is Horvat.  We can hope for Virtanen, Gaudette, Lind, and Gadjovich to become guys who combine some aspect of toughness with legitimate NHL skill, but I still think the Canucks have  a toughness deficit going forward. (And we still have Eriksson under contract for 5 more years.)

3 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

Other than a couple of fights and one or two decent shifts, Cram didn't show very much last year. Not surprised to see him let go. Labate fills his spot, is younger and bigger; that and Green is familiar with him.

The others: Chaput I like, he does his 4th line job reasonably well. Megna...well, he's fast, and...um...well he's fast. Garteig also didn't show that much, I wouldn't be surprised to see him with another organization, trying to get a steady AHL job instead of the ECHL. Boucher has some upside, but he better show it this year, or he could end up roomies with Grenier (where ever Grenier ends up).

Garteig and Grenier might still be signed to AHL contracts by the Comets. That would make sense and I hope it happens.

4 hours ago, combover said:

So we keep buttercups Chaput and Megna and let some  toughness in  camarossa walk. Yep the Vancouver pushovers will be back for another season of getting walked on. 

Ya knowing how wimpy this team is I'd take Camarossa over those 2 useless players any day.

Hopefully Labate gets a real chance because we have way too many guys soft as butter.

@JamesB, yeah I would like to see Grenier back with Utica also, one of their signees. His absence leaves a big hole in their line up, even with the slowly improving depth we have. Garteig, on the other hand, will be hard pressed to make the team, if things stay the same. Bachman back and Thatcher there, doesn't leave a whole lot of starts. I guess he could be third goalie; don't AHL teams have larger roster allowances than NHL teams?

11 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

Other than a couple of fights and one or two decent shifts, Cram didn't show very much last year. Not surprised to see him let go. Labate fills his spot, is younger and bigger; that and Green is familiar with him.

The others: Chaput I like, he does his 4th line job reasonably well. Megna...well, he's fast, and...um...well he's fast. Garteig also didn't show that much, I wouldn't be surprised to see him with another organization, trying to get a steady AHL job instead of the ECHL. Boucher has some upside, but he better show it this year, or he could end up roomies with Grenier (where ever Grenier ends up).

I sometimes feel I must be on another planet with how high I am on Boucher. I watched him last season and he was always in the right place at the right time. That instinct can't be taught, you either have it or you don't. He didn't have much in the way of results, but 7 points in 27 games (0.25 PPG rate) is nothing to sneeze at. Especially for a wire waiver pick up who has never had a full season to get a rhythm in either the AHL or the NHL and is having to adjust to a new team.

He's been bounced between the AHL and NHL since he started playing professionally and it's almost impossible to develop properly while going through that. He needs to work on his speed and fitness, but his skill set and hockey IQ are very high from what I've seen. It seems everyone on this board however sees him far differently then I do. Personally I'm stoked they QO'ed him and I can't wait to see him at camp. He oozes potential and if he works hard this offseason on his weaknesses mark my words: look out.

Also Boucher doesnt belong in the same category as Grenier. Grenier is a soft big guy and didn't put up any points with us and was a defensive liability with his backchecking. Boucher put up 7 points with us and when he wasn't winded could take control of the ice as well as being great defensively for us. I can remember two or three distinctive instances where he single handedly broke up a dangerous looking entry by opposing teams.

10 hours ago, Father Ryan said:

@JamesB, yeah I would like to see Grenier back with Utica also, one of their signees. His absence leaves a big hole in their line up, even with the slowly improving depth we have. Garteig, on the other hand, will be hard pressed to make the team, if things stay the same. Bachman back and Thatcher there, doesn't leave a whole lot of starts. I guess he could be third goalie; don't AHL teams have larger roster allowances than NHL teams?

Yes, AHL teams can carry as many players as they like, although they have normal limits on the number of guys who can dress for a game (18 skaters and 2 goalies) and on the  number of "veterans" who can dress (maximum 6 veterans, not counting goalies).

As for Garteig, what I had in mind is that he would be signed by Utica and be assigned to a team in the ECHL then be available for call-up when, inevitably, an injury on either the Comets or the Canucks makes it necessary. The system definitely needs a 5th professional goalie available for that purpose. So I see the list as 1. Markstrom 2. Miller or other UFA 3. Bachman 4. Demko, 5. Garteig or other acquisition.

Archived