The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Marc Methot to Stars for Dylan Ferguson, 2020 2nd-round pick

25 minutes ago, Stelar said:

You said his value is a Hall......  that's way more than peanuts. 

It was to show that one trade does not equal value for Tanev. You think the Methot trade means Tanev is worth next to nothing. I used the Hall trade as an example of people using one situation as the example of what we should expect. Seems silly doesn't it?

40 minutes ago, Provost said:

That is a crazy low price.  I wonder if GMs are ticked at McPhee or something.

He just 'stole' a bunch of their good players and they all know he can't keep all of them on the roster (roster limits) which means he'd have to waive legit NHL (albeit depth) guys, where teams could pick them up for free.

They aren't going to do him any further favours after how well he's been positioned this expansion.

16 minutes ago, J.R. said:

He just 'stole' a bunch of their good players and they all know he can't keep all of them on the roster (roster limits) which means he'd have to waive legit NHL (albeit depth) guys, where teams could pick them up for free.

They aren't going to do him any further favours after how well he's been positioned this expansion.

McPhee will pull a Forsberg just wait. 

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

It was to show that one trade does not equal value for Tanev. You think the Methot trade means Tanev is worth next to nothing. I used the Hall trade as an example of people using one situation as the example of what we should expect. Seems silly doesn't it?

The market has clearly changed.  Benning smart to hang on to Tanev.

2 hours ago, amplified0ne said:

That was put to bed by Lebrun via Daly.

Have confirmed this with Bill Daly just now: There is no blanket rule prohibiting a team from re-acquiring player lost in exp draft already

The Jan. 1 rule is for players traded to other teams before the expansion draft; they can't be re-acquired prior to Jan. 1

Good to know. then Ottawa is either haters or vegas asked the moon and back lol.

5 hours ago, Stelar said:

Let this be a wake up call to those who think we can get a haul for Tanev.  

Meh, the wake up call came a long time ago when a 2nd was the value of Bieksa.....

But....that deal - and this one - have next to nothing to do with Tanev's value, so not really much of a 'wake up call'.

If people think the D market is low and dictated by one McPhee Methot move, I think they're being really short-sighted wadr.

10 hours ago, oldnews said:

Meh, the wake up call came a long time ago when a 2nd was the value of Bieksa.....

But....that deal - and this one - have next to nothing to do with Tanev's value, so not really much of a 'wake up call'.

If people think the D market is low and dictated by one McPhee Methot move, I think they're being really short-sighted wadr.

Agreed, this will have no effect on Tanev's value. McPhee painted himself into a corner but grabbing all those d-men imo, hoping he would have more leverage on the defensemen market than he actually does.  All GMs now know he has to get rid of a dman or two, hence forcing him into deals where he may not receive "full value" for a guy like Methot.

Just now, Bang Bang Boogie said:

Agreed, this will have no effect on Tanev's value. McPhee painted himself into a corner but grabbing all those d-men imo, hoping he would have more leverage on the defensemen market than he actually does.  All GMs now know he has to get rid of a dman or two, hence forcing him into deals where he may not receive "full value" for a guy like Methot.

I think he does have leverage - he's just not using it - and made this move too early.  Dallas was bright to get out ahead of this, but McPhee probably should have sat on that deal for a few weeks.

Once the dust settles around free agency, some teams will be empty handed and looking to add, but until then, there is just not much incentive right now.  If he's going to sell low like that though, the phones will be ringing with lowballs.  It's possible that McPhee has indicated that the prices to move now will be reasonable whereas waiting will cause his asking prices to increase - in the interests of getting his deals done early and avoiding losing anyone to waivers - which is quite a long way off.

The Canucks should offer him a lowball 4th for Sbisa imo.  They could gamble on landing a Kulikov in free agency, but at a low enough price, it may make more sense to bring Luca back and get ahead of the market - and have certainty around the cap as well.  Sbisa at 3.6 is probably as good a deal as teams are going to get in free agency - and I suspect he'd be amenable to re-upping at a decent price as well, particularly if you go out and bring him back.  The fact he has only a year of term on his contract may make it that much more difficult for McPhee to get good value out of a return for him. 

If the Canucks walked away from ED having given up a 4th, it would be quite a good result imo.

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

The Ottawa Senators tried to reacquire Marc Methot from the Vegas Golden Knights but were unable to get a deal done.

GMGM is a garbage GM, he really sucks in trades. People criticize Benning when it comes to trades but McPhee is the worst. He traded Forsberg for freaking Erat, and that is the one of the big reasons he got fired. I wonder how long he will last in Vegas the way he is making dumb trades again. You can't tell me that he couldn't get more than a 7th rounder and a 2nd round pick in 2050 for Methot who is worth at least a 3rd next year or even a 2nd in 2018. The wannabe GMs in this thread should not use McPhee's trades as the benchmark because he is one of the worst GMs at getting a fair trade done.

7 hours ago, oldnews said:

The Canucks should offer him a lowball 4th for Sbisa imo.  They could gamble on landing a Kulikov in free agency, but at a low enough price, it may make more sense to bring Luca back and get ahead of the market - and have certainty around the cap as well.  Sbisa at 3.6 is probably as good a deal as teams are going to get in free agency - and I suspect he'd be amenable to re-upping at a decent price as well, particularly if you go out and bring him back.  The fact he has only a year of term on his contract may make it that much more difficult for McPhee to get good value out of a return for him. 

If the Canucks walked away from ED having given up a 4th, it would be quite a good result imo.

Benning may have tipped his hand, when talking about the D after the XD.  He mentioned "getting someone to play with Gudbranson", which intentionally or not points right to Kulikov.  But many teams sound interested, so I'd also look first at getting Sbisa back if a reasonable price.  He only has a year left, and we could either extend or trade him at the TDL for an asset, which gives the likes of Juolevi the opportunity to develop another year.

Archived