The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] VGK trying to trade D Luca Sbisa and D Alexei Emelin

I'd like to have Sbisa back. Clearly McPhee wants drafts picks in return. I wouldn't offer up a 2nd rounder but I'd do a 3rd rounder and try to make it for the 2019 or 2020 draft if that works for McPhee. Clearly he wants Sbisa's salary off the books and we have the cap space to take him back. We can also recoup the lost draft pick (and some?) at the TDL. Sbisa doesn't have a NTC like Methot but there probably aren't many teams that want Sbisa at $3.6M, given he's a 3rd pairing defenseman. 

7 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I'd like to have Sbisa back. Clearly McPhee wants drafts picks in return. I wouldn't offer up a 2nd rounder but I'd do a 3rd rounder and try to make it for the 2019 or 2020 draft if that works for McPhee. Clearly he wants Sbisa's salary off the books and we have the cap space to take him back. We can also recoup the lost draft pick (and some?) at the TDL. Sbisa doesn't have a NTC like Methot but there probably aren't many teams that want Sbisa at $3.6M, given he's a 3rd pairing defenseman. 

Then why would we give up a 3rd? I'd offer them a 2020 5th at most.

Sbisa is good enough to be a #6 on some teams and probably a #5 on real bad teams. In Vegas, he wouldn't even crack their main roster, so I can see why they'd want to trade him.

1 hour ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Sbisa to Vancouver for a conditional 7th round pick.

If Sbisa doesn't record a single giveaway the whole season, the 7th turns into every 1st round pick we have for the next 50 years.

knowing the canucks' luck, he'd get a season ending injury in training camp. 

49 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Then why would we give up a 3rd? I'd offer them a 2020 5th at most.

Well you clearly don't want him back then cuz that's a joke of a proposal. Sbisa at the TDL should be worth a 3rd at the minimum. If he has another year like last year then he should be worth a 2nd. Also, if we were to make it a 2019 or 2020 3rd and then turn around and trade Sbisa at the TDL for a 2018 3rd, that's a win for our rebuild.

Not every trade needs to be a homerun. Providing we can reacquire the draft pick (pretty much a given), the reacquisition of Sbisa would be well worth it because it would prevent us from rushing Juolevi and/or overpaying in money and term for a UFA. 

14 minutes ago, Provost said:

With what Methot got... that seems about right.

Methot has an extra year on his contract and is a top 4 defenseman. So obviously he is going to be worth more. But tell me, how many 5th round picks would you trade for your 2nd and 7th rounders? 8? 10? Methot is not 10x the player that Sbisa is. Hense the 3rd round pick I suggested, which is easily recoupable at the TDL. The thing about trades is that BOTH teams need to agree to them. A 5th rounder gets you Raphael Diaz, not Luca Sbisa.

21 minutes ago, rawkdrummer said:

who cares if Sbisa is available, rearrange the deck chairs

I'm all for change but I think we need to think about what change looks like.

Is Juolevi physically ready to make the jump from junior to the NHL or could he use 1 more year to develop?

Is Holm ready to play in the NHL or should we get him some seasoning on the NA ice in Utica?

Are there better/cheaper options available in free agency? If so, do these options actually want to sign in Vancouver without being overpaid in dollars and term? 

These are the questions that need to be answered. You don't just make changes for the hell of it. 

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

So since Benning wouldn't give way to extortion and cough up a 3rd for McPhee to leave Sbisa alone, McPhee will turn around and flip Sbisa for a 3rd.

Have a nice time in purgatory Luca

The feedback so far on JB's 3rd round pick isn't so bad.  Besides, if Sbisa doesn't represent growth for the club either as the player himself or as a future trade asset, perhaps he was just blocking the way for a brighter future.

50 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Well you clearly don't want him back then cuz that's a joke of a proposal. Sbisa at the TDL should be worth a 3rd at the minimum. If he has another year like last year then he should be worth a 2nd. Also, if we were to make it a 2019 or 2020 3rd and then turn around and trade Sbisa at the TDL for a 2018 3rd, that's a win for our rebuild.

Not every trade needs to be a homerun. Providing we can reacquire the draft pick (pretty much a given), the reacquisition of Sbisa would be well worth it because it would prevent us from rushing Juolevi and/or overpaying in money and term for a UFA. 

Ok I may have been exaggerating to prove a point and would pay a bit more than a 2020 5th.

But really, not a lot more. We can simply sign a UFA (and maybe even upgrade on Sbisa) while giving up no assets. According to most of CDC and sports media, Sbisa was overpaid himself anyway. We in no way should be trading anything as valuable as a 3rd for him.

48 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Methot has an extra year on his contract and is a top 4 defenseman. So obviously he is going to be worth more. But tell me, how many 5th round picks would you trade for your 2nd and 7th rounders? 8? 10? Methot is not 10x the player that Sbisa is. Hense the 3rd round pick I suggested, which is easily recoupable at the TDL. The thing about trades is that BOTH teams need to agree to them. A 5th rounder gets you Raphael Diaz, not Luca Sbisa.

So much contradiction...

Archived