The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] VGK trying to trade D Luca Sbisa and D Alexei Emelin

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Just wait for vegas to waive Sbisa and we can just reclaim him at the start of the season given our waiver wire priority.

This!

LET'S HANG ONTO OUR DRAFT PICKS.

The market is going to be flooded with this level of D man.

We don't want to overpay. The cap space could help us elsewhere.

31 minutes ago, Toews said:

Sbisa is a bottom pairing defenseman making 3.6M a year. Why would anyone advocate trading assets for something like that? You can find a defenseman around that caliber in free agency for around ~2M. 

Yeah UFA's are always cheap... especially on one year deals!

Weird that Vegas would have take him over gaunce who is young and  cost effective.

But whatever floats your boat

8 hours ago, VIC_CITY said:

I'm all for change but I think we need to think about what change looks like.

Is Juolevi physically ready to make the jump from junior to the NHL or could he use 1 more year to develop?

Is Holm ready to play in the NHL or should we get him some seasoning on the NA ice in Utica?

Are there better/cheaper options available in free agency? If so, do these options actually want to sign in Vancouver without being overpaid in dollars and term? 

These are the questions that need to be answered. You don't just make changes for the hell of it. 

BTW, I didn't say change for the hell of it is good. I said change is good. Don't put words in my mouth. 

AND... In case you didn't notice Sbisa is already gone. Canucks didn't want to pony up a draft choice to keep him and then lose Gaunce.

Sbisa is also not in the top 4, he's overpaid for his contribution thus making him highly replaceable.

Change in this case is good!

10 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Sbisa to Vancouver for a conditional 7th round pick.

If Sbisa doesn't record a single giveaway the whole season, the 7th turns into every 1st round pick we have for the next 50 years.

You better pray Sbisa doesn't get injured during pre-season and misses the entire season...

If the Methot deal has indeed set the market (at least for LVK) then Benning needs to strike now.

1. We recoup a known quantity

2. Sbisa's in a contract year, should have a good motivated season

3. Undoubtedly cheaper (including term, unless an older lower-level player) than an UFA once Silly Season starts, unless willing to wait it out for scraps. Might even be able to get Vegas to retain salary, but we have the cap space regardless. 

4. Won't need to dive into that UFA feeding frenzy

5. Can flip him at TDL for likely similar or better value, thus essentially a free asset, and zero loss in the entire XD process.  

6. All we need is a stop-gap, which forestalls the temptation to potentially rush Juolevi too early

Seems like the most reasonable way to go.  Unless JB has really soured on him, Canucks are probably one of the few teams to offer anything up.  Benning played it smart not giving anything up pre-XD.  Win-win for both sides. 

As much as Sbisa did improve, his salary is still a little steep for what he brings to the table, imo.  Not really interested in giving up picks to re-acquire him.  If they were just "give him back", then sure.

I am not sure how much has changed this expansion draft as opposed to previous ones, but it seems to me that with so many players getting picked up by the Knights and them now in shedding mode, it provides them with one heck of a step up in terms of acquiring multiple draft picks in short order, or combining extra players to get better players. Nevermind the fact they were handed the 6th OA as well....

Really, I've never seen an expansion team be basically handed both such a competitive team in addition to a pre-built future of picks.  At the very least I really think they didn't need a high lottery pick - even if they were a bit unlucky to get the 6th OA.

13 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Sbisa to Vancouver for a conditional 7th round pick.

If Sbisa doesn't record a single giveaway the whole season, the 7th turns into every 1st round pick we have for the next 50 years.

That's a great deal for both sides. Fair value 

I don't think jim will be interested. 

whenever asked about losing sbisa, he's said "it will hurt. especially in the penalty kill. sbisa has been good for us. but it also gives us the opportunity to remake the look of our defence ..."

to me that has come across as less of looking for silver linings and more of being genuinely freed from something you would have liked to move anyway but would have been reluctant to do the dirty work. 

3 hours ago, rawkdrummer said:

BTW, I didn't say change for the hell of it is good. I said change is good. Don't put words in my mouth. 

You also didn't give any indication of what kind of change you wanted to see.

AND... In case you didn't notice Sbisa is already gone. Canucks didn't want to pony up a draft choice to keep him and then lose Gaunce.

We have no idea what Benning's discussion with McPhee were. It's very likely that they talked and Benning balked at McPhee's asking price.

Sbisa is also not in the top 4, he's overpaid for his contribution thus making him highly replaceable.

Change in this case is good!

Theoretically, yes. But with who? Juolevi? Holm? Is there a UFA (as good as Sbisa) willing to come to Van on a short term deal at less than $3.6M? I think you underestimate the level of difficulty in replacing Sbisa without overpaying in free agency and potentially stunting the development of our prospects. I hope we do have better/cheaper options, but it's not a given.

14 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

My post that you replied to has Methot's return in it...

A 3rd has pretty comparable value to a (likely late) 2nd and a late round prospect. Especially if it's our (likely early) 3rd.

So you want to basically pay the same/similar for a guy you've deemed a fair bit lesser of a player and don't see the contradiction?

46 minutes ago, J.R. said:

A 3rd has pretty comparable value to a (likely late) 2nd and a late round prospect. Especially if it's our (likely early) 3rd.

So you want to basically pay the same/similar for a guy you've deemed a fair bit lesser of a player and don't see the contradiction?

Methot won't even be a Dallas Star by the time that 2nd round pick is used (3 years from now). I also suggested trading a 3rd rounder 2-3 years from now. I'm not sure what evidence you have that would suggest Dallas' 2020 draft pick will be a late one. I would also say it's fair to say that we should be a middle of the pack team in 2-3 years time. So how is that similar value?

Archived