The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] VGK trying to trade D Luca Sbisa and D Alexei Emelin

2 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

Methot won't even be a Dallas Star by the time that 2nd round pick is used (3 years from now). I also suggested trading a 3rd rounder 2-3 years from now. I'm not sure what evidence you have that would suggest Dallas' 2020 draft pick will be a late one. I would also say it's fair to say that we should be a middle of the pack team in 2-3 years time. So how is that similar value?

They also got a prospect. A late 2nd 3 years from now plus a prospect is basically equal to an early-mid 3rd 3 years from now. Not sure what's confusing about this?

7 hours ago, coryberg said:

Yeah UFA's are always cheap... especially on one year deals!

Weird that Vegas would have take him over gaunce who is young and  cost effective.

But whatever floats your boat

Gaunce effective? 

They chose the better player and the better asset. 

8 minutes ago, J.R. said:

They also got a prospect. A late 2nd 3 years from now plus a prospect is basically equal to an early-mid 3rd 3 years from now. Not sure what's confusing about this?

What's confusing is that you seem to think you know where Dallas is going to finish in the standings 3 years from now. It's by no means a forgone conclusion that Dallas will be one of the better teams in the 2019-20 season. We're not talking about the Oilers here. So no, it's not similar value at all.

13 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

If McPhee is so hard up on trading Sbisa, we'll do them a favour and take Sbisa and their 2018 first rounder for future considerations.  :lol:

I'm beginning to wonder if McPhee was conned by a "pump and dump" orchestrated by Jim Benning.  ::D

I see what you're saying but there was no pump and dump. Sbisa was clearly the best asset we had available and McPhee is a moron if he trades away Luca. He should work on re-signing him long term if he's smart. Sbisa's game has developed immensely the past few years.

19 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

What's confusing is that you seem to think you know where Dallas is going to finish in the standings 3 years from now. It's by no means a forgone conclusion that Dallas will be one of the better teams in the 2019-20 season. We're not talking about the Oilers here. So no, it's not similar value at all.

Even presuming they're only a mid pack team still makes your valuation off.

12 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Even presuming they're only a mid pack team still makes your valuation off.

I don't see how a 3rd round pick 2-3 years from now is "off" when we can just reacquire a 3rd rounder (and in an earlier draft year) at the TDL. Please explain.

1 minute ago, VIC_CITY said:

I don't see how a 3rd round pick 2-3 years from now is "off" when we can just reacquire a 3rd rounder (and in an earlier draft year) at the TDL. Please explain.

You said yourself that Sbisa is worth less than Methot yet you offered basically the same value.

36 minutes ago, J.R. said:

You said yourself that Sbisa is worth less than Methot yet you offered basically the same value.

In what world is a 2nd and a prospect the same as a 3rd? 

Regardless, we're talking about Sbisa's value and when he should most certainly garner a 3rd round pick at the TDL (at the minimum), that seems like a pretty fair valuation. I'm not sure why you're arguing you this so adamantly?

6 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

In what world is a 2nd and a prospect the same as a 3rd? 

Regardless, we're talking about Sbisa's value and when he should most certainly garner a 3rd round pick at the TDL (at the minimum), that seems like a pretty fair valuation. I'm not sure why you're arguing you this so adamantly?

Why are you? :P

I wouldn't pay a 3rd for Sbisa from LGK under present conditions. YMMV

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Why are you? :P

I wouldn't pay a 3rd for Sbisa from LGK under present conditions. YMMV

Lol ok I'm glad that's over now. I for one hope JB doesn't trade for Sbisa, just so we don't have to revisit this conversation!

2 hours ago, apollo said:

Gaunce effective? 

They chose the better player and the better asset. 

Cost effective. Gaunce will sign at 1 mil.

Sbisa is the better player at the moment  but not 3.6 times better. Gaunce could have grown with the team. Pretty sure Mcphee overestimated the market for these d-men (as did I). Methot for a 2nd and schlemko for a 5th confirms it. 

20 hours ago, Adarsh Sant said:

Sbisa to Vancouver for a conditional 7th round pick.

If Sbisa doesn't record a single giveaway the whole season, the 7th turns into every 1st round pick we have for the next 50 years.

Then proceeds to Sbisa injured and out for the rest of the season in the last game of the pre-season, therefore he recorded 0 turnovers and we lost 50 1st round picks :mellow:

On 6/26/2017 at 6:43 PM, peaches5 said:

Honestly JB should just offer a 7th round pick for Sbisa. He could easily flip him at the trade deadline for more.

if vegas can't get anything for sbisa now...odds are canucks won't either....

8 hours ago, SedinMadness said:

if vegas can't get anything for sbisa now...odds are canucks won't either....

A lot of options available right now plus Vegas has to trade him they have way too many Dman. At the trade deadline he will be far more valuable especially with another solid season.

On 6/27/2017 at 10:17 AM, VIC_CITY said:

Methot won't even be a Dallas Star by the time that 2nd round pick is used (3 years from now). I also suggested trading a 3rd rounder 2-3 years from now. I'm not sure what evidence you have that would suggest Dallas' 2020 draft pick will be a late one. I would also say it's fair to say that we should be a middle of the pack team in 2-3 years time. So how is that similar value?

Why all of the assumptions? No one can predict the future, not even you. It's doesn't create any argument in a discussion that's happening now, in the present.

So no, it's not fair to say anything about the team in order to determine value now. While there is obviously the potential a player has, that has little to nothing to do with where a team will be in 2 or 3 years or even if a player will be on that team in 2 or 3 years. Value is about how good will that player potentially be in the future and the current price of the item.

It's like if you're making a garden. Do you care about whether or not a plant will be in that garden in 2 years or are you planning the overall picture for that garden now? Keep in mind each flower's value is going to be the current price. The outcome is going to be dependent on your own green thumb and nothing to do with the value of the plant. Even more to the point: can you brag or feel bad about that garden now or should you wait to see how that garden will look later on? It would be kind of silly to do the former, yes? It's kind of similar to your argument though.

So please, before asking for evidence on something that hasn't even happened yet, consider your own argument and ask yourself if there's any evidence. Predictions are NOT evidence. lol

• 3 months later...

Archived