The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Colorado doesn't qualify Grigorenko

Provost

The idea is that these guys are still really young, and at some point after a few chances slip away may "get" it.

in our position where we will be icing players who max out at the level these talented busts achieve in a bad year, you are only looking at upside. 

The risk is that you waive them if they don't work.

Whrn saying we don't have room on the roster, don't make the mistake of using pen for your lineup and including all our young prospects.  Goldobin, Virtanen, Boucher, Boeser, Molina, Juolevi, Pedan, Holm..: none of them are locks as NHLers, never mind most of them.

We also have almost no one left on the farm for call ups after those names.

We could and should add a mix of reclamation projects, cheap veteran UFAs, and PTOs coming into camp to create competition and have a legitimate chance to show they can crack a thin roster.

Brett Connolly is another guy to look at (BC born)

28 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

To be fair.... Gaunce has always been projected as a bottom-6 guy.  

Never mind, must have been thinking of someone else. I guess it was 2009-2010 he put up 148 points but it was only the one time, not bottom-6 numbers but you have to be able to do it more than once.

19 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

To be fair.... Gaunce has always been projected as a bottom-6 guy.  

That is kind of the point.  If you forget about draft expectations, those players are superior to our current bottom six and depth players.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

That is kind of the point.  If you forget about draft expectations, those players are superior to our current bottom six and depth players.

It depends on the type of player and their style of play.  Not every skilled guy can play in a non-skilled role.  I'm not familiar with Grigorenko's style of play, but I would assume he won't be fitting on the 4th line (where Gaunce would probably be).

1 minute ago, Lancaster said:

It depends on the type of player and their style of play.  Not every skilled guy can play in a non-skilled role.  I'm not familiar with Grigorenko's style of play, but I would assume he won't be fitting on the 4th line (where Gaunce would probably be).

How about playing a fourth line that has skill, and can score?  

27 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

He's not a gritty guy, but he is good in the faceoff circle (57.8%) and he's solid enough defensively aside from lacking grit.

One thing that may be worth noting - the entire Colorado Avalanche were horrible last year - so putting Grigorenko's production in context may be worthwhile.  He was their 6th leading scorer with 23 points.  Landeskog only managed 33.  Guys like Soderberg and Colborne dropped right off a cliff there.  Nathan McKinnon scored one more point than Bo, and two more than Henrik, who even at 36 had a relative struggle of a season.

So no one looked good in Colorado last year, and some had seriously deflated numbers.

Perhaps Manny can work with him to turn him into a Malhotra V2.0. 

He hasn't been able to produce much (even with decent linemates) - and he doesn't have Malhotra's mobility - but he could be an interesting guy to put between Gaunce and Dorsett on the fourth line.  However, in the end, I'm not sure he's much better than Chaput, who is a good faceoff guy himself, has good underlying numbers, motors around working hard, is more physical, and just has that energy, work ethic and drive you want in your bottom six.  It's debatable whether Grigorenko could compete Chaput out of a spot.

I'd probably be more inclined to give Yakupov an opportunity.

I would take a chance on him for sure.  We always have a bunch of low end low ceiling prospects and fillers on our roster (Cramarossa, Skille, Megna, Gaunce.....ect), why not take a flyer on guys who actually have the potential to develop into players who can produce.  We are in a great time in our rebuild to be able to do this, as we wouldn't be taking the ice time away from developing prospects.

16 hours ago, Provost said:

While I think Boeser probably stays, I have no heartache having the rest of the young guys who are eligible go down and compete in meaningful games rather than get beat up every night.

It is going to be a depressing year and keeping our kids away from it has some merit, so why not bring in some reclamation guys and see if any of them turn out, and/or are worth something at the deadline.

Yes, I think Boeser will not only be up here but be fighting it out with Bo for the scoring lead, 

18 hours ago, pluralsight said:

There have been rumours that Grigorenko isn't actually as young as he says he is. He is listed as being born in 1994, but it's been reported in the past that he might actually be at least a couple of years older. 

Yep, I was going to mention that, and I read somewhere he may be up to 5 years older than he claims

On 6/27/2017 at 9:23 AM, S'all Good Man said:

With all the qualifying offers, new kids and even free agents we actually might be a team that loses a guy to waivers next season :lol: thats a nice change 

Can you ask Frank to Corrado rate that Theory? :wacko:

Archived