The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks express interest in UFA D Matt Hunwick

3 hours ago, JamesB said:

I wasn't projecting. That is why I used the word "say". That means that I do not necessarily expect this to happen. In fact I doubt he would have this much impact. My point is that even if Hunwick had a pretty big effect on the standings -- something approaching the most favourable reasonable possibility -- it would still not be a good acquisition.

You're not really making any sense.

1 hour ago, terrible.dee said:

God god....

FIRE BENNING!!! 

What else does he need to do to show you he is incompetent?

This is a bad joke, we have the league's worst GM, AND HE WON'T GO AWAY!!

Gotta give you credit. You do come by your stage name honestly

6 hours ago, JamesB said:

Re: Hunwick

I think the issue here is overall strategy. Personally I do not see the point in signing someone who helps the Canucks finish, say, 22nd in the league next year instead of, say, 27th in the league.

I would only favour signing UFAs who are young enough to potentially help the team when we might be competitive again, say 3 years down the road. That applies to Weal, who has just turned 25. It does not apply to Hunwick. At age 32 he is about the age where D-men normally begin significant age-related decline. He might be okay for the next couple of years but, beyond that, is unlikely to help the team -- and will just be in the way of what we hope are good young guys.

I think the only reason for signing a guy like at Hunwick would be with the hope of trading him at the deadline for a draft pick or prospect. But Benning has shown no interest in using that strategy (acquiring guys to trade them at the deadline).

So, yeah, Hunwick is a guy who could probably help the team next year. But I would rather get someone younger. I admit the Canuck D does not look deep right now, with Edler, Tanev, Stecher, Hutton, and Guddy assured of spots and Holm, Pedan, Beiga, McEneny, and Subban in the mix competing for the 6th and 7th spots. But I would like to see Pedan, Holm and Subban get a serious look, and Biega is a good swing man (#8 D/ #14 forward). McEneny could probably use more time in Utica.

As for Sbisa, I have no problem with picking him up off waivers, but if JB gives up any asset for him, I am sharpening my  pitchfork.

Why do people think any professional would ever prefer to be 27th over higher in the standings.  They will do everything they can, every single year, to get into the post season.  To expect anything different is shameful as a fan.

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

19 pts

18 minutes a night.

100ish hits and blocks.

Pretty good underlying numbers.

1.2 million last year.

Not a bad depth option.

so you are saying a player who only got 5 points less then Loui Eriksson and played just as much but is on defense could possibly be an option and likely not much more than $ 1 million per ?

Yes solid depth option, I would look into this.

I think many now that Free Agency is upon us feel they should go after a bigger name lol

12 hours ago, oldnews said:

how big was Rypien?

Hunwick is 200lbs.  I think you're obsessing a bit over size here.

Hunwick is 5'11 190. That is undersized for a defensmen.

Rypien was arguably pound for pound the toughest/best technical fighter. Your size comparison is irrelevant. If Hunwick brought toughness and grit of that level I could care less how big he was. It's a mute point arguing size and toughness with this team and it's fans but sometimes I just can't help myself. 

26 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Hunwick is 5'11 190. That is undersized for a defensmen.

Rypien was arguably pound for pound the toughest/best technical fighter. Your size comparison is irrelevant. If Hunwick brought toughness and grit of that level I could care less how big he was. It's a mute point arguing size and toughness with this team and it's fans but sometimes I just can't help myself. 

Hunwick brings effectiveness in general - that it's not in the form of punches or what you consider 'grit' doesnt really matter (nothing wrong with his 'grit' numbers with all due respect,which I've already posted in this thread).  

It's your own reference to size that is irrelevent.

Btw - he's 200lbs.

https://www.nhl.com/player/matt-hunwick-8471436

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/h/hunwima01.html

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nhl/2435/matt-hunwick

Depth signing that isn't unr unrealistic as we lost Trymakin and Sbisa this off season.  Has a similar work rate to Sbisa at half the cost. Don't get the hate for this. We need d depth every year and this is an insurance signing that takes away the need to make rush OJ if he is not ready. 

Very tradable player at the TDL or depth if we move another defender.  A d man like MH, a goalie and a few flyers on low valued assets like Gagne and Yakupov are about as much the nucks should try to do in FA.  If there is a decent tough guy out there, we cod use one, but Labate and Pedan will likely make the team as spares. 

17 hours ago, apollo said:

People just want him gone - including me and will bash his every move until he's gone. 

This is what happens when you sewer a franchise and finish near dead last in two seasons which you were CLEARLY trying to make the playoffs in by going after high profile free agents and trading away 2nd rounders. He sewered us 2 TDL's ago and finally smartened up last TDL.

Did Benning run over your dog or something? Is this the same apollo who was saying each and every year "Screw the haters! We're going to make the playoffs and go for the cup!" What. The. F. Happened?

1 hour ago, Mattrek said:

Did Benning run over your dog or something? Is this the same apollo who was saying each and every year "Screw the haters! We're going to make the playoffs and go for the cup!" What. The. F. Happened?

He's batsh!t crazy

Archived