The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Ryan Miller could possibly sign with Anaheim

-AJ-

Pass it to Bulis with the latest report: http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/report-ryan-miller-likely-to-sign-in-anaheim-1.20794074?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

In Elliotte Friedman’s latest 30 Thoughts, he drops a minor bombshell for Canucks fans as an aside in one of his points: Ryan Miller is expected to sign with the Anaheim Ducks. That’s big news as it was reported as recently as Monday that the Canucks were still trying to re-sign Miller and had yet to turn to Plan B in the goaltending market.

According to Friedman, Miller will sign with the Ducks for around $1 million, but he’s unclear if there will be any further bonuses built into the deal. Technically, those details are not supposed to be negotiated during this time anyways.

Officially, free agency opens on July 1st, so no contracts will be signed or announced until then, but the current interview period allows teams and pending free agents to talk, even if “negotiating” is not supposed to occur.

If this report is accurate, it seems clear that Miller cares significantly more about taking another shot at a Stanley Cup than he does money at this point in his career. At 36, Miller has yet to even appear in the Stanley Cup Finals, coming closest in his rookie season, losing in game 7 of the Eastern Conference Finals.

*See the link for more: http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/report-ryan-miller-likely-to-sign-in-anaheim-1.20794074?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Personally, it's no surprise to me that Miller could have interest in leaving Vancouver. There's almost no incentive for him to stay here. He would be put into a 1B role and not have a chance at the playoffs, no less the Stanley Cup. I've been expecting that he'd leave for a while now, so this comes as no surprise to me.

OK, plan B I guess...B as in Bernier??

Actually there are quite a few options and it would be great to see Markstrom be able to challenge for #1 or split duties.

Can't blame him. I'd assume there's a tonne of bonuses and incentives built in.

He wants to be on the West Coast for his wife, and Anaheim is pretty damn close to Hollywood. 

Honestly, if we were going to land him, it would have happened months ago. Take the cap space, spend it on a forward and give Bachman a chance to back up Markstrom. Can't do much worse can we?

2 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i think it means that he would be close to his wife and family. what is best for the family is more important that careers to some players. 

probably better for his career.  he would at least have a chance at a cup.  if he goes i hope eddie returns.

Sounds good. Miller gets one more shot at the playoffs, which he earned through his stellar play here. Close to his family.

The Canucks move on from Miller and focus on Markstrom, who I believe will prove some doubters wrong. Bachman, who is underrated, is the back-up. All is well.

5 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

we still have bachman. who could back up marky to start.

Bachman had some pretty great games when he was called up to the NHL. I don't know how good he would be as a backup for a full season though. 

Archived