The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] McDavid about to sign a 8 year deal

Darius

14 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

He should get $14 million per year. He's worth at least that.

For sure. and im loving it.  14 for McDavid, say about 8 for Drai, 6 for Lucic , theres ~28 million right there.  

Hmm offer sheet Draisaitl at 14m/year x 7? Force Chiarelli to choose between the two. If he matches, that would put McDavid, Draisaitl and Lucic at just under 1/2 the cap (33.25 million or so).

Just make sure Bo's locked up before you do that, lol

While it would be nice to think he would sign under the teens, I believe McDavid will likely be better overall than Crosby ever was, and that's saying something.  The suggested money is ridiculously high, but if any player is worth it, it's him.

1 minute ago, BabychStache said:

He's worth it, but dang that cap hit though. Shows you how good Yzerman is to keep Stamkos at his cap hit. 

Or how willing Stamkos was to take a lesser contract in a tax free state where it is only 25 degrees+ every day of the year vs....Edmonton

Hard to argue that once you factor in taxes and the...Edmonton factor, that McDavid isn't deserving a bit more on the top :P

3 minutes ago, kloubek said:

While it would be nice to think he would sign under the teens, I believe McDavid will likely be better overall than Crosby ever was, and that's saying something.  The suggested money is ridiculously high, but if any player is worth it, it's him.

I haven't seen anything, in the NHL or junior hockey that leads me to think that

4 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

He's worth it, but dang that cap hit though. Shows you how good Yzerman is to keep Stamkos at his cap hit. 

Stamkos, as great as he is, is at least one tier below McDavid.  

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Or how willing Stamkos was to take a lesser contract in a tax free state where it is only 25 degrees+ every day of the year vs....Edmonton

Hard to argue that once you factor in taxes and the...Edmonton factor, that McDavid isn't deserving a bit more on the top :P

All True. 

Still gonna give Stevie Y props though. 

I remember everyone freaking out when Sid signed his first big contract, hasn't really affected them negatively...

1 minute ago, Zhukini said:

I haven't seen anything, in the NHL or junior hockey that leads me to think that

Yeah, I agree.  Crosby's game doesn't rely on speed nearly as much.  I can see McDavid going down the path of Bure ... ie. lower body issues in the future.  That level of speed can't be sustained without injuries.

In other news... GMJB out GM'd!!!  lol...

Very, very torn on this as an overall cap hit.

First off, McDavid will be (if not arguably already) the best player in the league. That's a no brainer. So he should be paid as not only the best center and player in the league, but also the amount of additional merchandise revenue he will bring in. So I get this side of it.

The other side of me is, and I'll use my lowly Jets as an example, "Is McDavid worth $7M+ more per season than Mark Scheifele?" He's certainly a better player than Scheifele, but Scheifele is also an elite, young first line center in the league that is incredibly valuable to the Jets. Both on the ice as a 30+ goal and over PPG player, and as an off ice ambassador for their franchise.

Again, NOT saying Scheifele or any other elite center is worth the money that McDavid will get here. What I'm saying is that would $9-$10M really be "too little"?

When they signed Lucic, I said they had better get good really quick because they had cap issues looming once their stars came off ELCs.

They got better faster than I thought, but will start getting worse again pretty quick.  Won't be able to afford any depth.

Archived