The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] McDavid about to sign a 8 year deal

Darius

4 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

6M for 5 more years isn't that great but in 2 or 3 years he could easily be traded (hey Clarkson and Phanuef got traded and we could eat 50% of his salary for a year or two). It's not horrible to have only 1 bad contract on the team when you look around the league.

True... Plus there's a chance he regains form next season. 

So McDavid and Draisaitl look like they're going to chew up 20-22M in cap space over the next decade in Edmonton. To be honest they're both worth it, and teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh have succeeded by doing this - having a few real star players and just complementing them with cheap players in and out of the system. As the cap ceiling goes up every year, these deals will look better with age. For example, when Crosby signed his 8.7M long term deal it was a lot of money at the time but now it's nothing compared to the cap ceiling, and what stars are getting nowadays.

The problem for Edmonton is they have Lucic and RNH at 6M each as well. That's almost half their cap tied up with 4 players. Darnell Nurse is probably going to want some big bucks next season, or at least a bridge contract leading into a 4+M dollar deal. Caggiula sits in the same boat.

This team should be fine for the next season and really go all-out, because in 2018-2019 they're going to have some massive cap issues. If I were them I'd push hard to move RNH, ideally for a defenceman but even a prospect who's 1-2 years away from the NHL would be nice. Because of that cap hit I'd be looking to send him to an almost-rebuilding team. Vegas would be a perfect fit for him.

Funny how the majority of their 1st overall picks really don't end up fitting in Edmonton. 

18 hours ago, Warhippy said:

LMAO

Sadly, as a hockey fan I would actually like to see it

Thornton and Marleau in Edmonton with McJesus et al would be almost overpowering for a year.

It would be even better watching them lose out in the 1st round 4-1 :bigblush:

Calgary just loaded up with defence to deal with the Oilers, but if they signed Thornton we'd have a Pittsburgh-Nashville situation on our hands in our own division and it'd be fun to watch. I'd have to say Edmonton would win the duel and blow out Smith and Lack eventually.

Thornton would be a real possibility. They've got about 12M in cap space right now. Give Draisaitl his 8M. I wonder if Thornton would take a pay cut and accept a 4M x 3 or 4 year deal, considering he dropped in production last year with good linemates to 50 points and is now 37 and only getting slower. Sure, he could probably get 6M on the open market, but Edmonton gives him a real chance to win a Cup next year with the kids in their prime. 

That center depth is bloody tempting but if I were Chiarelli I'd be working hard on getting a decent goalie with that left over 4M in cap space. Then flip RNH next offseason.

I'm really torn on this. He's worth every nickel he gets, but it's also a salary cap world. The reason Kane, Toews, and Crosby get so much is because not only are they great players. They have won multiple cups. McDavid hasn't even gotten the team to the finals yet. Honestly I'd leave some money on the table with the agreement from management that it will spend to the cap and try and make the best team in order to win a cup. 

Whats the point of $10-13 million a year if your team can't get past the 2nd round? I've actually taken a slight pay cut to switch to a different department due to stress. I'm a lot healthier and happier. 

Archived