The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] McDavid about to sign a 8 year deal

Darius

Great term by the Oilers, but I can't help but think that giving away nearly 20% of your cap to one player is just asking to forever be a middle tier team. McDavid is unparalleled, but if you can't surround him with at least a decent team, what's the point in blowing the bank like that? McDavid, Drai, and Lucic are going to likely eat up 40% or more of the Oilers cap in 3 players. That's ridiculous.

21 minutes ago, Monty said:

Very, very torn on this as an overall cap hit.

First off, McDavid will be (if not arguably already) the best player in the league. That's a no brainer. So he should be paid as not only the best center and player in the league, but also the amount of additional merchandise revenue he will bring in. So I get this side of it.

The other side of me is, and I'll use my lowly Jets as an example, "Is McDavid worth $7M+ more per season than Mark Scheifele?" He's certainly a better player than Scheifele, but Scheifele is also an elite, young first line center in the league that is incredibly valuable to the Jets. Both on the ice as a 30+ goal and over PPG player, and as an off ice ambassador for their franchise.

Again, NOT saying Scheifele or any other elite center is worth the money that McDavid will get here. What I'm saying is that would $9-$10M really be "too little"?

How is a Jets fan a moderator on a Canucks forum? 

3 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

How is a Jets fan a moderator on a Canucks forum? 

Many reasons.

1. I'm a fan of hockey and have many teams I follow.

2. Been on the boards since 2005.

3. I avoid derailing threads and keep them on topic...

Just now, Monty said:

Many reasons.

Alrighty, just curious. There's other boards to spew Jets propaganda elsewhere.

Anyway, I think McDavid is worth it at that price. But makes you admire Crosby a bit more, considering the fact that he's making only $8.7M to ice a competitive team.  Look at where Chicago is at with Toews and Kane's mammoth cap hits. 

Good news, I doubt the Oilers will win the cup in the next 3/4 years with that cap hit.  Maybe after that when the cap is 90M, then the Oilers could afford a little depth.

I know he's really good and worth it, but even Crosby didn't even sign close to the max. deal in his best years.  I think 11-12M would have been enough, just to say he edged out Toews and Kane.  At leats these two had 3 Stanley Cup, McDavid only has individual honors so far....that contract might be a heck of a burden for him.

31 minutes ago, Monty said:

Very, very torn on this as an overall cap hit.

First off, McDavid will be (if not arguably already) the best player in the league. That's a no brainer. So he should be paid as not only the best center and player in the league, but also the amount of additional merchandise revenue he will bring in. So I get this side of it.

The other side of me is, and I'll use my lowly Jets as an example, "Is McDavid worth $7M+ more per season than Mark Scheifele?" He's certainly a better player than Scheifele, but Scheifele is also an elite, young first line center in the league that is incredibly valuable to the Jets. Both on the ice as a 30+ goal and over PPG player, and as an off ice ambassador for their franchise.

Again, NOT saying Scheifele or any other elite center is worth the money that McDavid will get here. What I'm saying is that would $9-$10M really be "too little"?

That's why, as much fun as ultra-elite/generational players are to watch and have on your team, I almost prefer the steady, deeper method of team building with loads of 'simply' high quality players. Far easier to manage cap, withstand injuries, replace guys who retire/leave as UFA/get traded etc, etc.

1 minute ago, Monty said:

Many reasons.

Burn.

Also, I agree with your general statement surrounding player valuations. I think some of the money is absurd. Part of that is jealousy, haha, but hey, it's all hunky dory according to the CBA.

It's hard to argue McDavid isn't worth the max given all that he brings to the Oilers. If the max is too high then the numbers should be tweaked. I'm not holding my breath on that one though.

8 minutes ago, pluralsight said:

Alrighty, just curious. There's other boards to spew Jets propaganda elsewhere.

:huh:

A topic that's "not about the Canucks" and you expect to hear something that's "about the Canucks"? And when the post that you quote directly refers to the topic at hand, referring another young player in the league and their contract, that's somehow "Propaganda"?

There's a massive difference between "Propaganda" and simply remaining on topic and using players contracts in the league as an example to the topic at hand, which is "McDavid's presumed 8 year deal."

Instead of bolding 5 words out of a post, taking it out of context, and commenting on that alone isn't the best way to approach a topic or responding to posts. 

Just trying to help, man. Baiting guys by saying, "Propaganda" by taking something out of context isn't helpful.

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

Probably right. I know Kypreos had said that Draisaitl would be within $1 - $1.5M less than McDavid.

Is he serious?! 12 Million for Draisaitl?!  That seems absolutely crazy.  That would be a horrible contract for Edmonton.  He is a super talented player, but when not playing with McDavid what were his points per game like? 

Although I should say that Edmonton should totally do it, because they won't be able to put much of a supporting cast around him. Better for us.  

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I almost prefer the steady, deeper method of team building with loads of 'simply' high quality players. Far easier to manage cap, withstand injuries, replace guys who retire/leave as UFA/get traded etc, etc.

That's where I'm at, for the most part. The Bruins were able to make the Finals twice with Krejci and Bergeron as their top centers. No slouches, but also not the stereotypical "elite" that chew up salary left, right, and center.

Again, I'm torn because guy's like McDavid and Crosby should be paid more then everyone else in the league. We've seen first hand what they alone can do for a franchise.

Anybody else think they should get Draisatl locked up first?  The Draisatl camp will surely use McDavid's  contract as leverage in negotiations, so why not sign Draisatl first, then work on McDavid after since he'll get big money anyways...

Not that I'm trying to help EDM, but just a thought...

4 minutes ago, stuman491 said:

Is he serious?! 12 Million for Draisaitl?!  That seems absolutely crazy.  That would be a horrible contract for Edmonton.  He is a super talented player, but when not playing with McDavid what were his points per game like? 

Although I should say that Edmonton should totally do it, because they won't be able to put much of a supporting cast around him. Better for us.  

Yeah, Drai's a great player and all but I'm not so sure he should be making almost $4m over Stamkos money...

20 minutes ago, Monty said:

Many reasons.

Uhmm this is McDavid talk on the Canucks forum, please stay on topic jeez

1 hour ago, Darius71 said:

For sure. and im loving it.  14 for McDavid, say about 8 for Drai, 6 for Lucic , theres ~28 million right there.  

No way LD signs for below 10 if CMd gets almost 14.  You can say that CMd is clearly the more skilled player, but you can't tell me the LD is only worth 60% of CMd as a player. 

Between LD (ten mil) CMd (13.85 mil), Lucic and RNH at 6 mil per that the cap situation is not looking good in Edmonton.  Talbot is going to get paid, Nurse is going to get paid etc.  

They will bring Puljarvi up and in two more years he will be looking for at least the RNH deal. 

At this rate they will be scrambling to ever find that d man that can come in and run the back end ala Kieth. 

This is not an org that has found much of any draft talent beyond their top picks (usually a 1st OA ;) ) since Sather ran things. 

1 minute ago, Monty said:

That's where I'm at, for the most part. The Bruins were able to make the Finals twice with Krejci and Bergeron as their top centers. No slouches, but also not the stereotypical "elite" that chew up salary left, right, and center.

Again, I'm torn because guy's like McDavid and Crosby should be paid more then everyone else in the league. We've seen first hand what they alone can do for a franchise.

For sure. They clearly deserve to get paid but I'm just fine if the Canucks don't end up with a so called 'generational' player. In many ways they can be equal parts blessing and curse.

A few more elite guys would be nice though...come on 2018 draft! ::D

53 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

I haven't seen anything, in the NHL or junior hockey that leads me to think that

That McDavid will be better than Crosby?  Well, I guess that is subjective.  

Crosby is just a fantastic all-around player.  He does absolutely everything well. From a roundedness perspective, Crosby is still the better player.

But from a dynamic and speed perspective, McDavid is just simply amazing.  His mobility, hands, shot - everything is top notch in that department.  If you can't appreciate the elite level that McDavid brings in those areas, well, then we will just agree to disagree.  And he's only going to get better - whereas we've seen the best Crosby has to offer.  

16 minutes ago, Monty said:

:huh:

A topic that's "not about the Canucks" and you expect to hear something that's "about the Canucks"? And when the post that you quote directly refers to the topic at hand, referring another young player in the league and their contract, that's somehow "Propaganda"?

There's a massive difference between "Propaganda" and simply remaining on topic and using players contracts in the league as an example to the topic at hand, which is "McDavid's presumed 8 year deal."

Instead of bolding 5 words out of a post, taking it out of context, and commenting on that alone isn't the best way to approach a topic or responding to posts. 

Just trying to help, man. Baiting guys by saying, "Propaganda" by taking something out of context isn't helpful.

I PM'd you my response to avoid going off topic. 

To clarify, I don't think McDavid's cap hit right now is what will burn them

Russel $4 million X 4

Lucic $6 million x 6 

Sekera $5.5 Million x 4

RNH $6 million x 6

And knowing that Nurse, Caggiula, Strome, Draistal and Talbot will all need new contracts in the next 2 season are what is going to kill them.  Strome maybe not so much but the other 3 came up huge in the playoffs when McDavid wasn't or couldn't and arguably Maroon was a better forward for his cap hit than Lucic and he will also need anew contract

The team they have now has 2 seasons tops.  Then it gets ugly.  So no it isn't the McDavid contract, it's the other current contracts that will hurt them the most moving forward because if you throw it up that each of those 4 players I just mentioned are overpaid for their production by $1.5 million that's a $6 million contract right there to keep 1 or 2 players long term or mitigate the upcoming Draisatl contract.

Things are going to be very very ugly in Oilers land soon if the cap doesn't increase by a minimum of $2.5 million per year over the next 3 years.  They may currently have some cap space to play with, but that won't last long at all IMO

11 minutes ago, Monty said:

Like I said in another thread

1 Crosby/McDavid/Malkin type center

Or 2 Getzlaf/Bergeron/Toews type centers

Not your prototypical 100+ point perennial all stars but guys that carry you on their back to cup wins.  I know what I'd choose

Archived