The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] McDavid about to sign a 8 year deal

Darius

3 hours ago, BabychStache said:

They still have some top end talent coming in Pullijarvi. So that'll let them move RNH to re stock the prospect pool. 

I am still angry they got him last year... 

JP maybe their last good prospect for a long time unless they chnage up their draft approach.  It is going to be hard to adjust to having to find talent vs having talent handed to you. JP is going to cost a bundle if he works out in two years, Talbot and Nurse are up next year.  

It would serve Edmonton right to have cap issues.  They have way more talent than they deserve. 

2 hours ago, Provost said:

People keep talking about a $95 million cap.

The cap is going to stay pretty flat for a decade or more in all probability.  It is already artificially high with players maybe giving around 20% back in escrow.

That TV deal with expire, and the likelihood of another one as rich is bleak... meaning even less money.  

With the way online streaming is going, I'd say your bang on with the TV deal.

Unless the NHL finds a way to capitalise on streaming, they're going to be &^@#ed.

I wish the big 3 (NHL NBA NFL) would get together and make some sort of Netflix style service, 15 bucks a month and watch whatever the &^@# you want, when you want.

Cable costs are killing themselves. 

58 minutes ago, The Rattler said:

Trust me, if this guy was a Canuck, we would be happy to pay him $13.25M.

No, I would be ecstatic to have McDavid on my team, but I'd also wonder why he would want such a large chunk of the team's cap, not leaving much left over for his team mates. McDavid is looking out for himself. Soon they'll have to say goodbye to Nugent-Hopkins and maybe Puljujarvi as well.

51 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

No, I would be ecstatic to have McDavid on my team, but I'd also wonder why he would want such a large chunk of the team's cap, not leaving much left over for his team mates. McDavid is looking out for himself. Soon they'll have to say goodbye to Nugent-Hopkins and maybe Puljujarvi as well.

Sometimes you have to be selfish. He's worth that amount if not more. 

42 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I hear what you're saying, but neither you nor I have to decide between collecting 9 vs 13.25M per year for the next 8 years.  Its all a matter of perspective.  and while, as fans, we can proudly say we will accept less for the good of the team, we don't actually have to make that decision to forgo 4.25M for the next 8 years.  As a player, McDavid has to make a decision about his future.  A potential future in which some goofball may come along and cross check him from behind, sucker punch him in the head, take out his knees, deliver a dirty hit which may give him a concussion, etc.  Notwithstanding the fact that you have zero control over the makeup of the team, and zero control of the mindset of your teammates (current and future) in offering up the same financial concessions. Now, as a player, deciding on the biggest decision of your very young life, what do you do? You going to let Drai get paid more than you?  You're better than either Kane or Towes right now, you OK with letting them earn more?  

24 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

8-9mill@5-6yrs would be fair for mcdavid. He can cash out on his next deal. But i would love for him to get 13-14mill now because it would put edmonton in a whole world of cap trouble.

That's where I would have wanted him to be at. I would have wanted a bridge deal, 4 years at 9mil per. 

Like anybody else in this league, one injury can change a career pretty fast. Look at Naslund after Moore. A lot of money to tie up to a guy with 0 guarantee. Max term and dollars is pretty risky, needless to say. That being said, I know it's not like Edmonton has a choice here.

2 hours ago, The Rattler said:

9 minutes ago, MattWN said:

That's where I would have wanted him to be at. I would have wanted a bridge deal, 4 years at 9mil per. 

Like anybody else in this league, one injury can change a career pretty fast. Look at Naslund after Moore. A lot of money to tie up to a guy with 0 guarantee. Max term and dollars is pretty risky, needless to say. That being said, I know it's not like Edmonton has a choice here.

I would be extatic to have a player even remotely close to CMd on our roster... Offersheet LD ;).  Provided our GM and scouting can continue to find good talent beyond the top ten picks. That's where Edmonton needs to put its focus or it will go the way of the NYI in the past 6 years. 

3 hours ago, The Rattler said:

I wouldn't.  I don't think any 1 player is worth that kind of $ in the cap era.

I'd rather JBs 4 line balanced team over their top heavy team in 3-5 years.

Team > individual

Warriors > Kobe led lakers

And I'm a Laker fan

I hope he gets atleast $14M. I would be crying joyful tears :)

5 hours ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

Draisatl has proven squat to get 10 million.

Playoff scoring says otherwise

Player GP G A P +/- PIM PPG PPP SHG SHP GWG OTG S S% FO%
8477934.jpg Leon Draisaitl 13 6 10 16 8 19 1 6 0 0 1 0 22 27.3 46.47
8473914.jpg Mark Letestu 13 5 6 11 -4 2 4 8 0 1 0 0 33 15.2 45.23
8478402.jpg Connor McDavid 13 5 4 9 3 2 1 4 1 1 0 0 37 13.5 35.78
8474034.jpg Patrick Maroon 13 3 5 8 2 28 1 1 0 0 1 0 33 9.1 0
8473473.jpg Milan Lucic 13 2 4 6 -5 20 2 3 0 0 0 0 17 11.8

3 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'd agree that if we were ranking the "greatest" NHL players, Crosby would be far and away greater than McDavid, but to me "best" is a very recency-based term whereas "greatest" looks more at long term. Worth noting is that during Crosby's second NHL season, 2006-07, the NHL was notably more offensive that it is today, so that did help Crosby somewhat.

When looking at Crosby's Penguins and McDavid's Oilers, their trajectories are remarkably similar.

Crosby's 1st year - Penguins (58 points, 29th in the NHL)

McDavid's 1st year - Oilers (70 points, 29th in the NHL)

Crosby's 2nd year - Penguins (105 points, 10th in the NHL, Lost in 1st round)

McDavid's 2nd year - Oilers (103 points, 8th in the NHL, Lost in the 2nd round)

If anything, the Oilers are improving quicker than the Penguins did with Crosby. I think it's naive to expect the Oilers not to be a Cup contender in the coming years.

Well there's always going to be a debate as to who is "best" or "greatest", so I'll leave it at that.

As I see it, it looks like if McDavid signs the rumoured deal, their window to win the cup will be next season. Once that cap hit starts, with Draisaitl contract added, they will be in tough to succeed unless the cap dramatically goes up. He may be "worth" the contract, but it's a team crippling contract. They have Nurse, Benning, Cagguila,and Slepyshev all coming off their entry level deals after next season and Strome will need to be re-signed too. Talbot has a couple more seasons, but he will also need to be considered as well. Not to say it can't be done, but they are going to need the luck and development that Chicago and Pittsburgh has.

Crosby signed for 9 million a year for 4 years for his second contract. IMO, McDavid could've done something similar and signed for maybe 10 million a year for 4 years, it would give them a solid 4 years of real competitiveness. Plus it could bring down Draisaitl's negotiations.

10 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Well there's always going to be a debate as to who is "best" or "greatest", so I'll leave it at that.

As I see it, it looks like if McDavid signs the rumoured deal, their window to win the cup will be next season. Once that cap hit starts, with Draisaitl contract added, they will be in tough to succeed unless the cap dramatically goes up. He may be "worth" the contract, but it's a team crippling contract. They have Nurse, Benning, Cagguila,and Slepyshev all coming off their entry level deals after next season and Strome will need to be re-signed too. Talbot has a couple more seasons, but he will also need to be considered as well. Not to say it can't be done, but they are going to need the luck and development that Chicago and Pittsburgh has.

Crosby signed for 9 million a year for 4 years for his second contract. IMO, McDavid could've done something similar and signed for maybe 10 million a year for 4 years, it would give them a solid 4 years of real competitiveness. Plus it could bring down Draisaitl's negotiations.

Hell no he deserves 14 million.

7 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Hell no he deserves 14 million.

What he deserves and what a manager has to do to build a team are two different things.  McDavid will make much more in marketing than he will on the ice.  He'll be even more marketable if he brings home the cup which is difficult if he takes the lion's share of the pot.  His legacy and his overall earnings will be better off if he takes less money.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

If I had to live in Edmonton Id ask for the max too.

Just now, NHL97OneTimer said:

What he deserves and what a manager has to do to build a team are two different things.  McDavid will make much more in marketing than he will on the ice.  He'll be even more marketable if he brings home the cup which is difficult if he takes the lion's share of the pot.  His legacy and his overall earnings will be better off if he takes less money.

Marketing is not the point. That stuff is gravy.

26 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Keep in mind that when Crosby signed his $8.7M deal (the second deal you are referring to), the salary cap was $50.3M. His cap took up 17.3% of all of Pittsburgh's cap space. With a deal of $14.3M of the roughly $75M cap next year, McDavid will be making 19.1% of Edmonton's cap. It's higher for sure, but not as much higher as it looks at face value due to inflation over time. Crosby's old deal in today's money (using the cap for inflation), would be about $13M per year.

Archived