The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] McDavid about to sign a 8 year deal

Darius

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Three Stanley Cup rings say hi. McDavid has one full season under his belt...

As I mentioned earlier, Crosby's three cups, two Conn Smythes, two gold medals, and multiple individual awards make him a much "greater" player all-time. But as of right now, ignoring anything before last season, I'm not sure if either McDavid or Crosby are better than each other.

5 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

What he deserves and what a manager has to do to build a team are two different things.  McDavid will make much more in marketing than he will on the ice.  He'll be even more marketable if he brings home the cup which is difficult if he takes the lion's share of the pot.  His legacy and his overall earnings will be better off if he takes less money.

Shhhhhhh

14 hours ago, Provost said:

When they signed Lucic, I said they had better get good really quick because they had cap issues looming once their stars came off ELCs.

They got better faster than I thought, but will start getting worse again pretty quick.  Won't be able to afford any depth.

They probably would have been better off long term if McDavid and Draisaitl didn't have such strong seasons. Probably could have saved millions per year.

So which GM will have the balls to offer sheet Draisaitl at $14M per for 7 years?  I'd love to see that. Edmonton would be screwed if that happened. They'd have to match and then let a few guys walk next year. So they'd basically have one more year of a loaded team. 

That's the opposite model of all the other teams who won cups first then paid guys afterwards. Edmonton is paying guys first. Will it backfire on them?  I guess we'll find out over the next couple of years. 

6 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

So which GM will have the balls to offer sheet Draisaitl at $14M per for 7 years?  I'd love to see that. Edmonton would be screwed if that happened. They'd have to match and then let a few guys walk next year. So they'd basically have one more year of a loaded team. 

That's the opposite model of all the other teams who won cups first then paid guys afterwards. Edmonton is paying guys first. Will it backfire on them?  I guess we'll find out over the next couple of years. 

Has Burkie gotten his revenge yet for the Dustin Penner offer sheet?

16 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Has Burkie gotten his revenge yet for the Dustin Penner offer sheet?

Not yet. Unfortunately Calgary's cap situation is just as bad as Edmonton's. The only team I can see that could make a move on Draisaitl is San Jose. With Thornton and Marleau off the books they have enough cap space to offer Draisaitl the max if they wanted to. Or at least $12M. If I were them I'd do it.  Edmonton will match anyways but it's worth a shot. 

48 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

If I'm a contender with cap space (or a team in need of a legit star forward to put them over the hump) I'd totally offer sheet Leon.  Giving up low-end first round picks to land a budding superstar for years to come while handcuffing another team would be worthwhile.  Hope the Canucks don't try this, we're going to need to slowly rebuild and let the process take its course, not throw picks that can build a foundation for years to come for one guy.

P.S. good luck Oil, got your work cut out (and a big chunk of your cap for signing depth too).  Better work on your scouting to find your Guentzel's and Sheary's, going to need it now that your top dogs are established.

P.P.S. Harvey Spector I totally read your comment in Harvey's voice in my head   

28 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

If I'm a contender with cap space (or a team in need of a legit star forward to put them over the hump) I'd totally offer sheet Leon.  Giving up low-end first round picks to land a budding superstar for years to come while handcuffing another team would be worthwhile.  Hope the Canucks don't try this, we're going to need to slowly rebuild and let the process take its course, not throw picks that can build a foundation for years to come for one guy.

P.S. good luck Oil, got your work cut out (and a big chunk of your cap for signing depth too).  Better work on your scouting to find your Guentzel's and Sheary's, going to need it now that your top dogs are established.

P.P.S. Harvey Spector I totally read your comment in Harvey's voice in my head   

IMG_0114.GIF

5 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

In the last 7 years Chicago has done alright managing the cap.

Except the cap was going up every year partly due to the CDN dollar being at or near par, they won before having to give Toews and Kane their money, they got other players to take discounts for the opportunity/promise that they would ice a team capable of winning the cup every year, they had organizational depth that they built up through many lean years they had.  Basically they will be top heavy going forward and will be filling out their roster with ELC'.  They get a bit of a "break" with Hossa, although that guy is not someone that is replaceable.  They also got a break with Cristobal Huet.

The Oilers made the playoffs for the first time in a decade and already have to pay their high draft picks top dollar.  They lack organizational depth even though they got lucky with Pool Party, their younger support players haven't really been battle tested at the NHL level aside from their experience this past season

2 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

depending on who it is that offered i think they would consider letting him walk

Draisaitl is probably worth less than Steven Stamkos money which is means less than $8.5 Million

Also if McDavid gets $13.25 Million I wonder how this affects other RFA's like Bo Horvat's negotiations. Horvat had half of McDavid's points so this might make Horvat's camp might ask for 6.6 Million

6 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Draisaitl is probably worth less than Steven Stamkos money which is means less than $8.5 Million

Also if McDavid gets $13.25 Million I wonder how this affects other RFA's like Bo Horvat's negotiations. Horvat had half of McDavid's points so this might make Horvat's camp might ask for 6.6 Million

I think Horvat will get Sean Monahan money so it will be a 6-7 year deal at between $6-$6.5M. 

35 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

I think Horvat will get Sean Monahan money so it will be a 6-7 year deal at between $6-$6.5M. 

Scary thought.

I love Horvat, but I would be hesitant to lock him up long term for anything north of 5.5. He's still unproven as far as being a #1 centre goes. In a perfect scenario, he would be a top notch 2nd line C, not the go to guy anchoring the first line. 

10 hours ago, EagleShield said:

Draisaitl for 9 and McDavid for 13.5 will leave Edmonton with no depth. Nearly a whole team has to be built on top of that with 52 million...

Sekera has a cap hit around 6 too. Same with Lucic. Edmonton is going to be in cap hell lol

Well they're buying out Pouliot so there's that.  His b uyout will save the oilers 2.67 million per year over the length of his contract

Think about that a 5 year 4 million per year contract for 22 points.

Yesterday i said it wasn't the McDavid contract that would hamstring the Oilers but the combined contracts of this nature.  The Pouliot, Lucic, Nuget-Hopkins, Sekeras etc,  Contracts that are all paying possibly 1.5 to 2 million more than they deserve per year at 1 and 2 years longer than should have been signed.   

Combined at that you can say the Oilers have $6 to $7.5 million in contract overspending for under performing contracts/lengths which would/could go a very very long way in to re-signing the Draisatl, Talbot, Nurses of the team in 2 seasons

Archived